2010 Mizuno Iron Unboxing

I am going to agree to disagree with ya on this JP. I might just have a weird fascination with model's etc, but there is a huge difference in the 58 and other mizzy's simply because in person they are freakishly bright and shiny, almost a little too much so IMO. The 300's look waaaay different simply because there is no mizzy blues to be found on them anywhere.

I honestly thought they were beautiful clubs, just imagined they would get dirty and chipped too quickly for me, like a nice truck the owner never plans to wheel hard with. I mean I had not heard anything about the 58 and I walked in to Watts, and just by glancing around my eye's gravitated to the "shiny" Ti insert before I even saw the sticker with the company on it.

Also Mizuno is really trying hard to go after mid/lowish-handicappers, with specific, tailored to them clubs. I applaud that. So instead of having to "learn how to hit a blade", or "settling for shovels" I get a set designed ground up for me. Don't get me wrong though other OEM's do this as well, Adams, Nickent, Srixon, Titleist to name a few.

Care to elaborate or do all posts bore you?
:confused2:

Nope, but MIZUNO coming out with 2 or 3 different sets of irons every year is starting to remind me of TaylorMade and their driver releases.

It's just that they all look alike these days since all of the possible design variables have been pretty much covered by now.

Seriously - how many times can the wheel be re-invented?

It's like cars.

Years ago, cars were designed in very distinct and identifiable ways and it was easy to tell a Ford from a Chevy or a Dosge - right down to the year and the model. But these days, you could look across five lanes of rush hour traffic and be hard-pressed to point out two or three distinctly different cars because they all look the same at first glance.

Golf clubs have arrived at that point; I can't tell one from another without a scorecard so when a "new" design is unveiled, it looks just like the "old" design.

Hence, the *yawn*.

-JP

Well said.

I could not disagree more. But its your opinion. Just 5 years ago where were hybrids, cavity back players irons? etc... So much has changed in the last 5-7 years in golf clubs that it is staggering. SGI irons came out, players cavity like I mentioned before, GI/Players irons.

The manufacturers have really been able to separate different types of golfers for clubs that will help them. It was something that a decade ago was not really relevent.

I feel the same way about cars as well. More brands does means more choices, not always watered down.

I too think the past few years golf clubs have evolved into something we have never seen. I just wish they would keep a model out for at least two years before releasing a new one. However, thats how they stay in business and I'm sure they always try to improve the faults of the previous model.

Well said.

I cannot agree less with you our JP I mean new stuff every year is great I cannot tell you how fed up with ping where the g 10s were here for like 3 years if you want new stuff but can't afford it you wait til next year to get it. Me being an equipment junkie every year is like woop pee. I mean im with JB every year new equipment new design. You can't say nothing has changed when eveything has changed.

ps like the mx 300s :blob:

I cannot agree less with you our JP I mean new stuff every year is great I cannot tell you how fed up with ping where the g 10s were here for like 3 years if you want new stuff but can't afford it you wait til next year to get it. Me being an equipment junkie every year is like woop pee. I mean im with JB every year new equipment new design. You can't say nothing has changed when eveything has changed.

But everything hasn't changed. There's only so much tech that can be put into an iron. Look at the r9's and r7's, not much difference there and there are a multitude of Mizzy irons that are so close it's not funny.

But everything hasn't changed. There's only so much tech that can be put into an iron. Look at the r9's and r7's, not much difference there and there are a multitude of Mizzy irons that are so close it's not funny.

Im curious what you are basing it on that the R7s and R9s are not that different as you say? Looks? I assure you the inside of the club is completely different.

JB, there ain't much room in there for a lot of surprises.

donkey-pinata.jpg

You are wrong actually. You also said that the Tour Burner and the 09 Burner were the same club just different looking and that was not correct either. The inside of the irons is completely different than that of the R7 irons.

I get it, you do not care about new equipment and how frequently it comes out. That is fine and your opinion. But until you have the specs and see the actual club I think calling them the same simply by seeing pictures online is unfair.

I want to add something to this. What if the metals were completely different? Like the Bridgestone irons. While the area is small, so many things are done to change the way a club feels, performs, etc...

Perfect example is the irons you play right now and take the 4DX Pros and hit both. Similar looking other than color and they both have completely different feels to them.

Two clubs that look identical do not necessarily feel or play the same.

That's where you're wrong, I do care. I just "Don't believe the hype". JB, I'm not looking for an arguement, Lord knows I've been thru more equipment in the last 3 yrs than MOST. I just don't allow smoke to be blown where the sun doesn't shine. Yes, I am very skeptical when it comes to "New technology". As far as the irons and the Tour Burners go, how much difference can there be in there? Yes they are somewhat cosmetically different, but there is a lot of different wrappings for a rock. It's different on the outside, but it's still a rock when the wrapping is removed. I also understand your defensive position, it keeps the flow going. That's JMHO is all.

No offense intended.

So if one iron is full of foam and the other is not, but they look similar than they are the same? You were basing your judgement on the Tour Burner and Burner without ever hitting the latter and then Biglefty explained that they were different and you agreed. These irons feel and play NOTHING like the R7s did in terms of feel and performance. NOTHING! The inside of the iron head is totally different.

Bridgestone did the same thing this year with new metals. yet they still have a similar design. Totally different iron!

While nobody is saying new technology is better in many cases, to say it is not different is ridiculous UNTIL YOU HAVE TRIED BOTH PRODUCTS!

You can believe what you want.

For those that enjoy Mizuno irons, the company did not disappoint this year. Both the MX-300s and the MP series are true stars. All of the testers that have tried the MX line have said it is there favorite GI iron of the year.

Sweet looking irons. I was a bit shocked by the price of the new Mizunos though. They seem pretty pricey for GI irons.

Sweet looking irons. I was a bit shocked by the price of the new Mizunos though. They seem pretty pricey for GI irons.

I agree especially considering that I firmly believe that the MX-200s are one of the best bargains in all of golf for iron sets. Having the MX-1000s come in around 1k seems very high.

I went to a Mizuno fitting event yesterday and got fitted in the MX 200's. What was interesting was finding out that my local guy absolutely nailed it last year with me. Considering that on the day of my fitting, I hadn't swung a club in 18 years, that's pretty impressive. I still take a stiff shaft, +3/4", 2* up. The fitting system is pretty slick - they start you with a club that's been sensor-ed up to determine your clubhead speed and some other parameters, then suggest shaft combos for your swing.

They then use several different clubheads to build the correct length club in the shaft you select. I tried both the DG S300 and the ProjectX 5.5. I liked the DG a bit better. We also discussed my current MX-19's and the ballflight I'm seeing. I think that the MX 200's with the DG shaft would be a slightly better fit for me right now, but seeing as I'm still in the same specs I don't think the irons are what's holding me back. Still, the feel of those 200's on a well-hit shot is amazing.

The rep also stated that he expected the MX-200's and MP-52's to be replaced this coming September. I guess if I want my 52's I'm going to have to buy them as well.

Finally we geeked out a bit about metals, casting/forging, steel composition and other assorted topics. Mizuno had given this guy a pretty good education on how they make their clubs, and types of steels used in the industry. Pretty neat, actually.

The rep also stated that he expected the MX-200's and MP-52's to be replaced this coming September. I guess if I want my 52's I'm going to have to buy them as well.

That would seem to be correct. That is the timeline they are currently on.

That would seem to be correct. That is the timeline they are currently on.

He blamed it on Taylormade, actually. Said that Mizuno used to be on a 3-4 year rotation for irons, but TM's "new every 6 months" pace has caused everyone to have to up cycles to levels that weren't doing anyone any good.

He blamed it on Taylormade, actually. Said that Mizuno used to be on a 3-4 year rotation for irons, but TM's "new every 6 months" pace has caused everyone to have to up cycles to levels that weren't doing anyone any good.

That is absurd. Mizuno is chiming them out faster than TM right now for irons. Look at the last 12 months and see which company has come out with more irons.

I agree especially considering that I firmly believe that the MX-200s are one of the best bargains in all of golf for iron sets. Having the MX-1000s come in around 1k seems very high.
Especially considering theres lots of great GI iron sets for well under $1,000. Heck, you could get a set of Titleist AP1s for $700.
I like Mizuno but they dont have $300 more worth of feel.
In a bad economy I cant see where this is a good idea.

I'm really looking forward to the reviews on these. I'm going to be in the market for a new set of irons in the spring most likely, and at the moment, I'm definitely leaning towards Mizuno's. That could change of course once I go get a fitting.

That is absurd. Mizuno is chiming them out faster than TM right now for irons. Look at the last 12 months and see which company has come out with more irons.
I agree. Mizuno has been very aggressive in coming out with new product lately.

Especially considering theres lots of great GI iron sets for well under $1,000. Heck, you could get a set of Titleist AP1s for $700.
I like Mizuno but they dont have $300 more worth of feel.
In a bad economy I cant see where this is a good idea.
I should correct myself on this one. I see Golf Galaxy is selling MX-1000s for $799. Thats actually not bad, IMO.

MSRP is $1000, but they are going for about $800 in stores. I still see that as high when the MX-200s are still less.

As for them coming out with new stuff, blaming other companies is comical. Off the top of my head, I do not think any company has come out with more irons in the last 3 years than Mizuno. In fact I am not sure there is even a company that is close.

Back