2011 - Year of the Driver?

I wonder which driver this year will have the largest sweet spot? What size will it be or is there a limit to the size of a sweet spot?

Almost looks like Cobra is gunning for that one with the S3

the PING K15 es mucho grande

I wonder which driver this year will have the largest sweet spot? What size will it be or is there a limit to the size of a sweet spot?

Outside of Cleveland/Srixon, have other companies "joined" forces with shaft companies? I know that OEM's are offering better shafts overall, and I might have missed it, but have other companies joined with shaft companies?

The VR Tour (glued version) comes with a legit Project X and most TP driver models have legit shafts....I dont know if its wise to just have one premium shaft for a line of clubs...it would be better if each offered like 3 premium shafts like most OEM's are doing with the irons now. A lot of new irons come with atleast 2 or 3 iron shaft options at no up-charge and I think that drivers, woods, and hybrids should soon follow suit. Driver technology has really reached a limit, every major OEM has a long bomber in their stable, therefore it all comes down to fitting the driver for a person, i.e. shaft, loft/lie, length....

The VR Tour (glued version) comes with a legit Project X and most TP driver models have legit shafts....I dont know if its wise to just have one premium shaft for a line of clubs...it would be better if each offered like 3 premium shafts like most OEM's are doing with the irons now. A lot of new irons come with atleast 2 or 3 iron shaft options at no up-charge and I think that drivers, woods, and hybrids should soon follow suit. Driver technology has really reached a limit, every major OEM has a long bomber in their stable, therefore it all comes down to fitting the driver for a person, i.e. shaft, loft/lie, length....

I believe that is what I said right? Other OEM's are offering better shafts across the board, but I dont think anybody has joined forces.

And we disagree with in the aspect that technology has reached a limit.

I believe that is what I said right? Other OEM's are offering better shafts across the board, but I dont think anybody has joined forces.

And we disagree with in the aspect that technology has reached a limit.

How much further can they go before they are non-conforming? The best you can do is just get dialed into your specifications...they can make that better, but as far as a driver just giving you more distance just because of design I think is done, maybe they can, I just dont see it without it being non-conforming....technology as it relates to the driver head itself...not the shaft

How much further can they go before they are non-conforming? The best you can do is just get dialed into your specifications...they can make that better, but as far as a driver just giving you more distance just because of design I think is done, maybe they can, I just dont see it without it being non-conforming....technology as it relates to the driver head itself...not the shaft

Why does a driver have to go farther? Its not always distance that makes things a technology advance.

Why does a driver have to go farther? Its not always distance that makes things a technology advance.

90% of golfers want to hit their driver further, every driver company advertises their driver as further than the previous model...

90% of golfers want to hit their driver further, every driver company advertises their driver as further than the previous model...

I never said anything about marketing. That is not what THP is about. But I would not sell anything short on technology and what can be done. Golfers said the same thing 10 years ago and then again 5 years ago, and now we are still seeing incredible advances in the overall technology of golf.

I never said anything about marketing. That is not what THP is about. But I would not sell anything short on technology and what can be done. Golfers said the same thing 10 years ago and then again 5 years ago, and now we are still seeing incredible advances in the overall technology of golf.

True about golf technology as it relates to balls, irons, wedges, and making drivers for forgiving, but 10 years ago Tiger, JB, DJ, and anyone else who was hitting 300 yard drives is still doing that, I think it has more to do with the ball then the drivers, as I read on golf.com, Tiger with the same driver can hit a different golf ball 20yds further than the one he games but he prefers to have more control with irons and short game over that distance.

When I purchased my 975D I felt that this was as good as it gets..Until I hit the Launcher 400 with an NV65 in it and it went a little farther but with much more control. I hit it 270-280 most of the time I don't care as much about length as I do hitting fairways and having some control. If I get more length I'm ok with it.

True about golf technology as it relates to balls, irons, wedges, and making drivers for forgiving, but 10 years ago Tiger, JB, DJ, and anyone else who was hitting 300 yard drives is still doing that, I think it has more to do with the ball then the drivers, as I read on golf.com, Tiger with the same driver can hit a different golf ball 20yds further than the one he games but he prefers to have more control with irons and short game over that distance.

Again I am not talking about distance. And I am certainly not talking about how it relates to golfers that never miss the sweet spot.

Again I am not talking about distance. And I am certainly not talking about how it relates to golfers that never miss the sweet spot.

Well can you tell me what other technology that MOST average golfers will care about? Im just curious...majority of the THP family would probably want accuracy, thats a given but im talking about the MAJORITY of golfers. And I stated before probably a little more in the area of forgiveness.

Well can you tell me what other technology that MOST average golfers will care about? Im just curious...majority of the THP family would probably want accuracy, thats a given but im talking about the MAJORITY of golfers. And I stated before probably a little more in the area of forgiveness.

You are looking at it again from a marketing perspective. About what golfers want to hear. If you dont think the technology that TM and Titleist came up with this year then that is your choice. Or that Nickent came up with a few years back in changeable shafts. These are all technology advancements that were not around that are there to assist golfers in finding the right club. Heck, up until 2 years ago, all lighter weight drivers lacked balance. R&D struggled to be able to move weight around in the head to offer higher or lower ball flights and now a turn of the wrench can do that.

I always see people saying that tech is maxed out a few years ago and if that is the case, why do you play a newer driver?

You are looking at it again from a marketing perspective. About what golfers want to hear. If you dont think the technology that TM and Titleist came up with this year then that is your choice. Or that Nickent came up with a few years back in changeable shafts. These are all technology advancements that were not around that are there to assist golfers in finding the right club. Heck, up until 2 years ago, all lighter weight drivers lacked balance. R&D struggled to be able to move weight around in the head to offer higher or lower ball flights and now a turn of the wrench can do that.

I always see people saying that tech is maxed out a few years ago and if that is the case, why do you play a newer driver?

In my first post I clearly stated that is all about being able to adjust loft/lie and getting the right shaft. now, I also clearly stated that driver technolgy reached its limit as related to DISTANCE, please read my first post. I have been playing golf for about two and a half years-3 years, my first driver was a steel headed Callaway with a steel shaft, given to me by my uncle, who was playing with the Taylormade R7 at the time and I consistently out drove everyone in our group by 10-15 yards whenever we played...then I moved to an Adams Speedline and couldnt for the life of me hit that thing constistently, then Nike came out with this smaller 420cc head and I hit it good at the store so I got one. Those drivers are more FORGIVING than that old Callaway driver so thats why I play with an updated driver and it looks good, Im really big on looks, if something is aesthically pleasing you will play better with it.

In my first post I clearly stated that is all about being able to adjust loft/lie and getting the right shaft. now, I also clearly stated that driver technolgy reached its limit as related to DISTANCE, please read my first post. I have been playing golf for about two and a half years-3 years, my first driver was a steel headed Callaway with a steel shaft, given to me by my uncle, who was playing with the Taylormade R7 at the time and I consistently out drove everyone in our group by 10-15 yards whenever we played...then I moved to an Adams Speedline and couldnt for the life of me hit that thing constistently, then Nike came out with this smaller 420cc head and I hit it good at the store so I got one. Those drivers are more FORGIVING than that old Callaway driver so thats why I play with an updated driver and it looks good, Im really big on looks, if something is aesthically pleasing you will play better with it.

And again I will say that I disagree. Im glad that you think so, it means you wont have to buy another driver and we all know this game is expensive enough. But part of distance for amateur golfers is forgiveness and the fact that we dont hit the sweet spot and need distance when we miss. Lighter technology in the head and moving weight around in the head has created more distance for amateur golfers. All of them? Of course not, but for those that it has helped (like me) gain extra yards over the last 2 years, are definitely grateful.

Thread too long to check if anyone else said this, but what about the Superfast from Taylormade?
I really feel Taylormade (and cleveland and adams to be honest) was onto something there. With USGA enforcing COR and other things, company's were forced to look elsewhere for distance. Overall weight loss but carefull tracking of the swing weight I feel was the most importnat tech advancements this year. I don't count groove conformation because that wasn't an advancement but a limiter.

And again I will say that I disagree. Im glad that you think so, it means you wont have to buy another driver and we all know this game is expensive enough. But part of distance for amateur golfers is forgiveness and the fact that we dont hit the sweet spot and need distance when we miss. Lighter technology in the head and moving weight around in the head has created more distance for amateur golfers. All of them? Of course not, but for those that it has helped (like me) gain extra yards over the last 2 years, are definitely grateful.

I might buy a driver based off of looks alone or the fact that I want one that I can adjust. Who knows....I like clubs. If you dont mind me asking, how much distance have you gained JB in two years? Do you contribute that all to technology? Have you had any lessons? Do you play golf more than you use to? Have you received lessons?

I might buy a driver based off of looks alone or the fact that I want one that I can adjust. Who knows....I like clubs. If you dont mind me asking, how much distance have you gained JB in two years? Do you contribute that all to technology? Have you had any lessons? Do you play golf more than you use to? Have you received lessons?

11 yards give or take a half yard. When I was tracking my stats earlier this year it was 11.3 to be exact. I play less golf than I did and have not had any lessons. I contribute all of it to the technology I have found in clubs. I dont contribute my game overall to technology, but certain aspects of it have helped me tremendously. Drivers are far more forgiving higher off the club face now (my miss) and have helped with overall distance. Going lighter in club heads without losing balance has helped my ball speed increase by quite a bit.

Ironically, my index has gone up from changing irons so much for reviews, but I have definitely gotten an increase in distance.

11 yards give or take a half yard. When I was tracking my stats earlier this year it was 11.3 to be exact. I play less golf than I did and have not had any lessons. I contribute all of it to the technology I have found in clubs. I dont contribute my game overall to technology, but certain aspects of it have helped me tremendously. Drivers are far more forgiving higher off the club face now (my miss) and have helped with overall distance. Going lighter in club heads without losing balance has helped my ball speed increase by quite a bit.

Ironically, my index has gone up from changing irons so much for reviews, but I have definitely gotten an increase in distance.

I have never been through a driver fitting, i have for irons, but with drivers i like to just read and go from there, I see what shafts match my characteristics and go from there...and 11 yards is huge, thats the difference between i dont know if I can clear the bunker and I can definitely clear that bunker

With all the new drivers coming out this year, does anybody know a good place to get a fitting for a driver in the Northeast (specifically CT)?

I take lessons at Golfers Warehouse in hartford and had my irons fit for me there, but they dont stock all the driver shaft options and almost never have any x-flex shafts in their fitting carts (TM, Cally, Nike, or Titleist). I have a faster SS and would at least like the chance to try all of the shaft options before dropping anywhere from $300-$500 on a new driver.

GolfTEC of course.

Might want to start a thread on it in teh custom section.

Is it that better shafts are making all the difference in the world and some companies are including them in standard offerings?
Are the made for shafts getting better?
Is it because there is so much competition out there for the consumer dollar?
What do you think is the reason for the incredible things we are seeing for 2011?
And frankly do you agree that 2011 is better than previous years across the board?

If i had REAL DATAand proof I would argue with JB's question. Currently I'm leaning towards agreeing with JB cuz it really does seem like EVERY company rolled up their sleeves and really brought a game changer this year. However, how about the years around 93-96. Steel and Titanium were new materials and it seemed like all the company's were raising the bar every month. Callaway had the super popular Big Bertha Line. Taylormade was looking into strange tech (remeber the bubble shafts?), Everyone was experimenting with Graphite Shafts, Titleist had the popular 975 line that the pro's raved over with it's traditional shape with modern tech. Heck Callaway's popular "7 Heaven" wood was in my opinion the front runner to today's modern hybrid.

Now let me play devil's advocate here. JB said YEAR of the driver and I proposed a span of about 3-5 years so I'll agree I'm cheating here. But the only reason is cuz I can't remeber release dates and such of clubs that came out well over 10 years ago.
Maybe we are entering another era of big driver tech improvements and advancements in the next couple of years.

If you read our Throwback Thursday articles, we have release dates on most of the ones you mentioned. They spanned across multiple years.

If you read our Throwback Thursday articles, we have release dates on most of the ones you mentioned. They spanned across multiple years.

like I said, I knew I was cheating. But I propose that the mid 90's was an important "era" for driver technology.
But I do agree with JB that 2011 will be the year of the driver much like last year was the year of the wedge.

BTW suggestions for Throwback Thursday: Specifically Ben Crenshaw's Putter, Harvey Penick's Little Green Book, Karsten Solheim or specifically the Ping Anser model, Titelist Balata's, and the killer bee driver with it's 56" shaft.

Last edited:
Having had the chance to hit the Octane Tour, the Razr Hawk Tour, the Cleveland SL driver, the R11, the 910, the 9064LS, and the Machspeed Black, and can totally say that this is definitely the year of the driver. Holy smokes! So many great options out there, thus proving the absolute importance of being fit.

Back