2012 Srixon Golf Ball Lineup

No dude. I have them ready to go. We got sidetracked with a trip to see the dinosaurs on Saturday and I spaced it. USPS is right on our way home from daycare.

I did a little more reading on the SL. Softest cover they've made with an ~80 compression rating. I might go hit it with the wedges after work. It's like 70° here today.

No dude. I have them ready to go. We got sidetracked with a trip to see the dinosaurs on Saturday and I spaced it. USPS is right on our way home from daycare.

I did a little more reading on the SL. Softest cover they've made with an ~80 compression rating. I might go hit it with the wedges after work. It's like 70° here today.

Do it to it homey!

It's a step in the right direction for them. I think meeting the needs of a range of swing speeds is a neccessity right now.

It's a step in the right direction for them. I think meeting the needs of a range of swing speeds is a neccessity right now.

I'd agree with that. That SL ball doesn't really interest me for some reason. Odd b/c I love the RX.

I'd agree with that. That SL ball doesn't really interest me for some reason. Odd b/c I love the RX.

I think it's a little softer cored than the RX, which might not be the right direction for you, but who knows.

I liked the SL off the wedges for the pitches and partial swings. Mainly just looked at feel and ball flight since I wasn't hitting to a green. They seemed nice enough, which I figured they would. I'm mainly interested in performance off the tee since I already have a good idea how they'll work around the green.

I finally got to play with the zstar xv tour yellows today. I dont know what changes if any there are between the xv and the x but they felt the same to me in every aspect. Played 18 with one ball and the durability was still outstanding just like the x model. I'm impressed every time that for being tour quality balls these things last and last.

I finally got to play with the zstar xv tour yellows today. I dont know what changes if any there are between the xv and the x but they felt the same to me in every aspect. Played 18 with one ball and the durability was still outstanding just like the x model. I'm impressed every time that for being tour quality balls these things last and last.

So, you're saying that for you the xv plays just like the older zstar x? That's very encouraging to hear. That was my old long time gamer so I'm even more excited for Hawk not to forget that sleeve of balls in his truck :bulgy-eyes:

I procrastinated my way right to USPS yesterday :)

tried the Q-star, liked it off the tee, not sure around greens as they were super fast and wouldnt hold anything

Im a straight up Z Star guy.....I personally don't get the distance or spin from the XV like I do the Z Star.

You read it right: DISTANCE and SPIN.

104 mph with the driver. sweeper with the irons.

THE ZSTAR is my ball...Just bought 6 dozen.

Played the Q-Star and Z-Star side by side today in an attempt to decide on a ball for the rest of the season. From tee to green these are eerily similar, the Z-Star was on overage a touch longer but the Q-Star did have a little less side to side movement, not that the Z-Star was flying sideways. Into the green I didn't notice much difference at all between the two, however with the Z-Star I could bring the ball in a little lower and not worry about it rolling off the back of the green vs the Q-Star which I needed to hit higher. Around the green for the most part the two acted very similar, short chips reacted much the same but on shots where you could be a little more aggressive I saw more spin and check from the Z-Star, no surprise. Putting was a big difference, the Z-Star feels much softer but that's not to say the Q-Star feels like a rock, it's just the obvious difference between the cover material.

Long story short for me these balls both perform great and it's going to take some more testing before I can pick a game ball.

I put the Z-Star SL up against the Q-Star today and will do so again tomorrow when I can see how it performs around the green. Today I was just looking at feel off all clubs, distance, and ball flight.

SL seemed pretty normal in terms of ball height off the driver for me. I couldn't really tell a difference from the Q-Star. Distance was the same as well. Some longer and some shorter with both. Didn't have any issues with side spin from either.

The SL feels and sounds about as soft as they come. The cover is very much like the Z-Star and it's pretty hard not to prefer that over the Q-Star. I was able to keep it low with wedges if I wanted. I liked it quite a bit. My plan is get some driver numbers one of these days, but if I was going 100% based on feel preference, it would have to be the SL.

I decided to try out some Z-Star SLs and picked up a dozen yesterday. Today I played 9 holes with the SLs, and I liked the feel and spin but I wasn't getting good distance with the driver. I switched over to Callaway Hex Chromes and immediately got better driver distances, but I just don't like the way that ball plays around the green, and I bogeyed 4 straight holes. I then switched to Penta Classics, and, well, I really wasn't driving them much further than the SLs....

I think maybe I was just having a bad day with driver distance, like losing my lag too early, or something. I will give the SLs another chance, but even if I can drive them further than I did today, I don't think they will beat out the Hex Black as my ball for the season.

Unless I find the SL to be shorter than the other Srixon balls when I get it on the monitor, it's going to stay in the bag. I felt like it was fine in terms of distance, but it's hard to tell this time of year with the cool temps and wind. It was real good around the greens and on full iron shots. A six iron I hit stopped 4 feet from the divot, which is more than I normally expect. Durability seems good too. Played one ball for 18 holes and it's still in great shape.

I was probably a little harsh on the Z STAR SLs earlier. I exchanged them for some Hex Blacks, but I still have the one sleeve that I opened. Today was slow at the course, so on some of the longer holes I would hit a drive with the SL after hitting my Black. Driver distance with the SL was fine. A couple times I outdrove my Hex Black, and a couple times I hit some really poor drives with the SL, but typically they were within about 5 yards of each other. They are at such a similar price point that I will probably stick with the Hex Black, but the SL is a great ball.

http://custom.srixon.com/

A pretty cool tool that you can use to customize a ball with either text, a logo, or a combination of both. Logos require a larger purchase, but the text can be done on orders of 1 dozen. I was able to get a lot of text on the ball. Could be a fun thing to do for the Morgan Cup.

Well my ball selection process just got muddled up again. PLayed the Z-Star during my last round and the only place where I was concerned about it's performance was off the tee, with increased side-spin vs the Q-Star. I can happily say that I didn't see any issues with the side to side movement of the ball and since it was pretty windy I was even more happy with the performance.

It also seemed the ball was launching a little lower and therefore not getting quite as high as the Q-Star does, an added bonus for a player like myself that hits a higher tee ball anyways. If this trend continues then it is pretty obvious I'm going with the Z-Star for this season and the MC.

Nice SW! I liked the Q Star but it's massively lacking off the tee for me. Old Hawk sent me some XV's (and I picked up a dozen locally) that will be put into play tomorrow. If I'm not overall pleased with it, I'll more than likely be rocking the old school ZStar, as I used to play it a ton.

I thought I remembered you playing those before, I think you'll enjoy the XV. I liked them everywhere except off the tee, anything less than a perfect strike and I left some yards on the table.

Had a chance to hit the SL against the Q-Star off the tee a few times today. Distance was really similar for me. The difference really shows around the green though. The SL is very Z-Star-like around the green for me. It really shows it's strength in pitch shots when you are trying to stop the ball quick.

Nice post JB. I got a couple free sleeves of the q-stars and loved them. They are definitely up there in my rotation.

Well, now I'm all kinds of confused. I had a QStar vs. XV shootout on the back 9 today. I like the XV off the tee and around the green but I don't see a huge drop off going to the QStar either. In fact, I hit far more GIR's with the QStar (8/9 vs. 6/9) so that has to mean something. Funny thing was that I tee'd off with the QStar first every time so you would think I would hit the XV much better but it just wasn't the case. I have a lot of time to decide between the two but right now the QStar is out in front. I feel like I can absolutely mash that thing off the tee as well. And for some odd reason, I think it spins a lot less off the tee for me. Who freaking knows.

You think it's a compression thing? Didn't that radio show say lower compression would spin less of the tee? I keep thinking that's what was said, but may need to go listen again.

You think it's a compression thing? Didn't that radio show say lower compression would spin less of the tee? I keep thinking that's what was said, but may need to go listen again.

I don't recall buddy. I don't know dude, but the QStar just performs. Well, they both perform but I like hitting more GIR's.

Back