2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't reccomend it Bcape. You will quickly overtrain, which will lead to injuries, etc. You MAY be able to pull it off for a week or two, but it's not worth the risk. If I really wanted to combine heavier weights with cardio, I would do kettlebells. ( But find a quality instructor to show you the various lifts - there is a lot of technique involved there ) What I do is lot of lifting, mixing in different exercises but do supersets with exercises for antagonist muscle groups, with little rest, and it has worked wonders with my body composition.

I would have to agree that is going to be tough to pull off.

I appreciate the help guys!

Can anyone here shed some light or guidance on how I can improve my stamina for golf. I am concerned about playing 36 holes in the heat and humidity that will be present at the MC. Obviously I plan to take in a lot of liquids, keep a cool washcloth close, and do not over do it but any other advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

We talked at the outing. I really believe you need to get out and walk every day. Getting your legs stronger, getting your cardio up and get in shape in the process. There is not Marc formula buddy. You gotta dedicate the next two months to getting into a position that will allow you to play 54 holes in 90+ heat.

Ill be doing the same, I felt it this weekend more than I ever have. Being a good shape will help me and others get through the weekend.

Yeah, brother. Just make sure you do something active everyday. Whether it is just walking out and about, shadow boxing, air squats or whatever. Just do something to keep your body moving. I bet you will start seeing more improvements... and that is contagious and makes you want to do more.

Just finishing up a six week team challenge at my gym, and finally broke through a barrier I have not been able to get past for almost 20 years. Only lost 5 pounds in that time, but about 2" in my waist. Definitely accomplished more in my overall body composition than just losing five pounds would suggest. It was interesting since the training part was very structured, and I actually decreased the overall volume of strength training I had been doing. And I actually increased my food volume, virtually entirely with an increase in protein intake. The only carbs I had were vegetables and fruits, with the exception I could have a ccarb within an hour of working out. Usually that was through a recovery drink with protein and other stuff in it.

Also learned a lot more about kettlebells and look forward to doing a whole lot more training with those. Snatches take a little work to learn, and can be a beating on your forearms at first until you get the timing. But metabolically speaking, those and swings are as good a bang for the buck as any exercise there is. Lucky the owner of the gym is one of a handful of people to have actually gone to Russia to learn how to use them properly. Not to mention one of the best in the kettlebell competitions throughout the country.

I've been doing the opposite. One large meal and two smaller snacks. I have never had as much energy or recovered faster from workouts.

I do this at times as well blu. Also had great luck in the past doing something called "The Warrior Diet". Ori Hoffmeckler I think? He suggests just grazing through the day ( nuts, seeds, etc ) then after a workout having 2 large quality meals ( meat, salad, etc ) meals, one right after the workout, and another and hour or so later. My personal opinion is that a diet, like a workout routine, should be changed from time to time. The body is amazing at adaptation...

Just finishing up a six week team challenge at my gym, and finally broke through a barrier I have not been able to get past for almost 20 years. Only lost 5 pounds in that time, but about 2" in my waist. Definitely accomplished more in my overall body composition than just losing five pounds would suggest. It was interesting since the training part was very structured, and I actually decreased the overall volume of strength training I had been doing. And I actually increased my food volume, virtually entirely with an increase in protein intake. The only carbs I had were vegetables and fruits, with the exception I could have a ccarb within an hour of working out. Usually that was through a recovery drink with protein and other stuff in it.

Also learned a lot more about kettlebells and look forward to doing a whole lot more training with those. Snatches take a little work to learn, and can be a beating on your forearms at first until you get the timing. But metabolically speaking, those and swings are as good a bang for the buck as any exercise there is. Lucky the owner of the gym is one of a handful of people to have actually gone to Russia to learn how to use them properly. Not to mention one of the best in the kettlebell competitions throughout the country.

Great work Tex! Totally agree about Swings & snatches. If I were stuck with only being able to do one non barbell lift, it would be swings without question. Form is important in every exercise, but none so much as in kettlebell work! Who is the instructor ? Steve Cotter maybe?

Great work Tex! Totally agree about Swings & snatches. If I were stuck with only being able to do one non barbell lift, it would be swings without question. Form is important in every exercise, but none so much as in kettlebell work! Who is the instructor ? Steve Cotter maybe?

Thanks Big! His name is BJ Bliffert. I watch him train occasionally with the bells, and he makes it look a whole lot easier than it is.

Found a groupon for boot camp classes near me. I have to look at the schedule and see if they work if so 20 classes for $75 count me in.

Found a groupon for boot camp classes near me. I have to look at the schedule and see if they work if so 20 classes for $75 count me in.

Where is that?

Oh so 3 blocks away

Less because I just read on their facebook page they moved it and was editing my original response.

Less because I just read on their facebook page they moved it and was editing my original response.

So you can choose what days?

So you can choose what days?

I believe so. The website for the group that does the bootcamp isn't working and it just says to call on groupon before your first class.

I believe so. The website for the group that does the bootcamp isn't working and it just says to call on groupon before your first class.

Interesting. It's hard for me to count on things during weeknights esp during the next few months with this rollout. But it's something to consider

Interesting. It's hard for me to count on things during weeknights esp during the next few months with this rollout. But it's something to consider

Classes are also available at Waterford high school on Monday and Wednesday nights.

Thanks Big! His name is BJ Bliffert. I watch him train occasionally with the bells, and he makes it look a whole lot easier than it is.

I am pretty sure I have seen his name on the Dragon Door website. Haven't been on there for quite some time though... Good Kettlebell instruction is priceless - take advantage!

Due to my rough workout yesterday, today was a very light TRX workout.

Here was my workout yesterday. It was particularly rough when a 120 pound girl ran by me with a 45 pound weight (the same I was carrying). Ugh.

A. Strength

Press: 5-5-5-3-3-3 (increasing weight at each stage)
Partial Dead Lifts: 5-5-5-3-3-3 (increasing weight at each stage)

B. Conditioning

3 rounds of:
400 meter run
15 toes-to-bar
15 push-ups

2 rounds of:
400 meter run with 35 pound weight
25 wallballs
25 situps

1 round of:
400 meter run with 45 pound weight
100 meter lunges with 45 pound weight overhead

C. Final Stages

3×10 Goodmornings
3×20 Band Swimmer Drill

Great work guys!! Keep it up!

Back at it yesterday AM at 5. Chest and Back. Going to try to get there to do legs tonight. Tweaked my left achilles yesterday and am pissed about it. Chalking it up to shoes and weak calves. Got to fix it.

I cannot keep it going, weight wise I am not doing bad but I just don't feel well. I got a good workout in yesterday and I tried to go again today and I am just in so much pain and it is depressing.

For the last 2-3 weeks I have been pretty lax with the nutrition. After this weekend, I am going pretty clean for 3-4 weeks... and in that time I will also move to a 2-day strength / 3-day met conditioning week plan.

That should help with the "softness" that has creeped up the last week.

I cannot keep it going, weight wise I am not doing bad but I just don't feel well. I got a good workout in yesterday and I tried to go again today and I am just in so much pain and it is depressing.

Dude. Happens to me from time to time. Sometimes I just need to take a break (even for a whole week if I need it). Next thing I know, I am uber motivated to get back at it. Sometimes we need to give our body a short break... sometimes we need to give our mind a short break. Just be sure to jump back on the wagon!!!

On Tuesday night I saw the worst workout ever. I was on the gym floor for 43 minutes. I did a elliptical warm up, stretching, squats, DB Split squats, Back extensions, EZ bar curls and 5 sets of farmers walks.

There was a dude in one squat rack who literally did barbell shrugs for more than 45 minutes. He had a ton of weight on the bar, he worked up to 6 plates and a 25 on each side. He must have done 20+ one rep sets. He had the bar racked at about mid thigh height. He would place his wrist wraps and then jump into the shrug and let the bar fall onto the rack. No control, no static hold. It was the worst workout I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back