2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have paid to see that. Especially for someone who probably missed depth because he overloaded the bar.

The Crossfit gym I did powerlifting (billed as "crossfit strength") at was one of the few with knowledgeable trainers. I'd have to dig up my old journal to tell you what I was lifting, but my favorite PR was 135lb OHP.

I think I one video, at his gym, he tells a guy who missed depth on a BW Squat, "Give me 2 more for missing depth."

Rip trained under Bill Starr, you know Starr made shat happen.

There are plenty of crossfit gyms and trainers who understand the difference between exercise and training. But the megacomplexes typically have no idea.

I would have paid to see that. Especially for someone who probably missed depth because he overloaded the bar.

Nope body weight squats. The video is a few pages back

Starting doing SL 5x5 this week and am reading starting strength based on recommendations in here. The book is good reading. I was able to see so many people doing things wrong.

Starting doing SL 5x5 this week and am reading starting strength based on recommendations in here. The book is good reading. I was able to see so many people doing things wrong.
Excellent. Take pride in your form. Get deep, keep tight, drive your hips straight up out of the hole.

Leg Day

Leg Day

Squatted 280, dead lifted 285 last night. Made an adjustment to squatting based on recs a couple pages back about where to be looking and helped get even better depth. Thanks Blu. Really starting to see more definition in my body, again not getting lighter but seemingly less fat.

Starting the new year off right with the Musclepharm Mix of Methods program. Its an 8 week program with 3 designated splits (Back/Biceps, Chest/Triceps, Legs) and 3 bodyweight splits. The idea is to lean out while still seeing some strength gains. I'm not looking to get strongman built and can definitely stand to drop a few lbs after the holidays. I'll probably tweak a few of the bodyweight days to accommodate the 4 different sports I'm playing as well. It feels nice getting back into a program and a routine after basically being out of the gym since thanksgiving.

Squatted 280, dead lifted 285 last night. Made an adjustment to squatting based on recs a couple pages back about where to be looking and helped get even better depth. Thanks Blu. Really starting to see more definition in my body, again not getting lighter but seemingly less fat.
I love it man. Keep up the progression. It's amazing what that eye gaze adjustment will do for your squat.

I-315

I-315

Dead lift 295x5 tonight, squat 290x5 and buddy had 315 on the bar for squat so I did it 2x just for kicks.

3diesels.jpg

Dead lift 295x5 tonight, squat 290x5 and buddy had 315 on the bar for squat so I did it 2x just for kicks.

View attachment 18159

Rattling 3 plates is fun. Good work. Hitting depth with 315 is a benchmark for sure. That 315 mark seems like the one everybody wants to hit on every lift. I have a dream that I will clean that one day. One day...

We joined a gym this past week, and we've been swimming for our workouts. It's been a while since I've felt this sore, but it's a good sore. Definitely less painful on my joints than running.

Started back on my weight cutting diet Monday. First week or two always sucks, but getting better daily. Shooting for 25lbs and hoping that I'm done by early April. Then I think I'll just maintain for the summer. Next time I try this bulk business I'm going about it a different way. Or maybe I won't bother with it again.

Started back on my weight cutting diet Monday. First week or two always sucks, but getting better daily. Shooting for 25lbs and hoping that I'm done by early April. Then I think I'll just maintain for the summer. Next time I try this bulk business I'm going about it a different way. Or maybe I won't bother with it again.

Yeah. Caloric intake is tricky with bulking. It's really hard to add strength and not add weight. Unless you're a genetic beast, it's damn near impossible.

Too easy to do it dirty.

Too easy to do it dirty.

It's easier to do it dirty. Really, when trying to add that much tonage to a bar over a relatively short period of time, you need calories. You won't get enough of them by eating chicken and brown rice.

We can be cutting buddies. Started this 24 day Advocare Challenge with my girlfriend yesterday. Long term goal is about 45-50 pounds to get me where I want to be I think.

Eating clean and tons of cardio is on my plate for awhile, mixing in some weight training as well.

It's easier to do it dirty. Really, when trying to add that much tonage to a bar over a relatively short period of time, you need calories. You won't get enough of them by eating chicken and brown rice.

Not realistically at least.

We can be cutting buddies. Started this 24 day Advocare Challenge with my girlfriend yesterday. Long term goal is about 45-50 pounds to get me where I want to be I think.

Eating clean and tons of cardio is on my plate for awhile, mixing in some weight training as well.

50lb will be easy if you get past the first little hump. Don't quit on me.

Man I've always wanted to try roids.

The bacne though. Makes it a tough sell.

yeah...the disappearing Pro-Vs (That's what I call them, you know, around the house) would really make me sad.

One of my goals this year is to add a little size and strength - not a lot, but definitely some. I'm about 5'8" and 140lb, so a pretty slim guy - a little size and weight gain can only help, in several areas. I'd like to bump that to around 150lb. My trouble is that a lot of my activities are pretty heavy on cardio and not so much on strength: taekwondo, skiing, running, tennis. But they'd all benefit from some more strength.

My plan is to try and do things body weight based. I already do the following every other day (alternating with cardio days):

1) Knuckle pushups x50
2) Leg raises x25
3) Triangle pushups x20
4) Crunches x50
5) Spiderman pushups x20 each side
6) Full situps x50
7) Decline pushups x25
8) Squats x20
9) Toe raises X20
10) Pullups x10
11) Chinups x10

Done as a circuit, 2nd time I don't always get to those reps, so I'll go as far as I can. Any suggestions to adapt this to more of a strength/muscle build workout? I was thinking more pullups and chinups - and continue till failure.

Not realistically at least.

50lb will be easy if you get past the first little hump. Don't quit on me.

Buddy I am not quitting. I need to invest in my health, especially with the genetic defects on my dads side lol

You'll look like a beast 50lbs lighter dude. Shoot for 1 or 2 lbs a week and remember your diet will trump slaving away on a treadmill. If you can though suffering for a week or two it gets much easier.

You'll look like a beast 50lbs lighter dude. Shoot for 1 or 2 lbs a week and remember your diet will trump slaving away on a treadmill. If you can though suffering for a week or two it gets much easier.

It is exactly why I did this challenge dude. 24 days of eating extremely clean will hopefully make it a habit. Lots of proteins and veggies, no dairy (for first 10 days), very little carbs. Got to start thinking of food as energy not to enjoy it haha.

I wish I wasnt such an effing picky eater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back