2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I finished with dead lifts. I think my form is OK on this, but my grip is starting to hold me back; on my work set I could barely hold onto the bar.

[/QUOTE]

You could use wraps or an over/under grip on the deadlift. That should help with the grip issue.

Then I finished with dead lifts. I think my form is OK on this, but my grip is starting to hold me back; on my work set I could barely hold onto the bar.

You could use wraps or an over/under grip on the deadlift. That should help with the grip issue.[/QUOTE]
Also, chalk.

I feel like I'm getting called into the principals office and about to get scolded...
Not at all. No shaming. I promise. There's a lot of good here. I'm in the gym so I recorded some stuff. I hope it helps.

Jeepers. I just ran the (16) stairs and walked around the main floor for 15 minutes last night and I was very gassed, I imagine I'd be in cardiac distress in about 5 minutes if I ran with 30lbs on me lol.
I gotta keep up with guys 10 or 12 years younger than me...or at least convince them I'm stronger, faster, and tougher than they are. When I get time to myself, I get to do stuff that would snap off most of them, so when I do what the Army says I can do with them for PT, I can do a whole lot more, and more easily.

As a result, I find myself doing flak vest runs on the weekend.

Crap. It's going to take too long.

Squats:

Variable depth. Some good, most are high. You may need to widen your stance a hair. Also, actively think about pushing your knees apart.

Stop looking up. It's killing your hip drive. Find a spot 6' in front of you and look at it for the whole rep.

Find a foam roller in the gym. Grab it and take your squat stance. Stand that roller up on its end and put it about an 1" to 1-1/2" in front of one of your toes. do an air squat and get your knee to that foam roller as fast as possible. Out of the bottom, drive your hips straight up and fell like you're keeping you knee on the roller for as long as possible. Do this air squat a few times to groove the feeling. Don't do this with a weight on your back.

Press:
Not bad. Actually really good. But let's make them better. Hand placement is really darn good. Feel like you're pushing your elbows together at the bottom. Creates a lot of tightness. Good tightness.

Straight wrists. Don't grip the bar in your palms. I will make a video about this.

Stance width feet. Flex your quads and abs. HARD. take a big breath. Push your hips forward and actively rebound against that tightness. Rebound your hips back and feel the bar drive up. Go with it and push the damn thing to lock out. Every rep, shrug hard. Feel like your bringing your shoulders to your ears. Everytime

Deads:

Good first rep. Reset your back every rep. Your straight legged the last few. But every rep go through the setup steps.

If there are questions, please ask.

If there are questions, please ask.

Great stuff, Joe. I'll work on squats on Wednesday and the rest when they come back around in the rotation.

Great stuff, Joe. I'll work on squats on Wednesday and the rest when they come back around in the rotation.
Yes. Don't force it. Big thing on the press, quads tight, abs tight, squeeze elbows, and bump your hips forward, feel the rebound and the bounce of the bar.

Widen your stance on the squat, I can't see your toes, but you may need to square your toes a touch. don't drive your knees back, drive your hips up. Don't look up.

Reset between every dead.

Add weight to the bar, as normal, from today. you're doing really good.

Ran another two miles this morning. 19 minutes 30 seconds. So, more like a jog still. But the second mile was done at 8 min 30 sec. Not bad for 2nd run back after a year of not working out. And feel great afterwards too. Man I missed that after workout feeling.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

Felt good being in the gym last night. Just benched. Felt good

Felt good being in the gym last night. Just benched. Felt good

Your instagram was impressive. I'm no pro, but I really would feel better if you had a spotter there, though. Haha

Your instagram was impressive. I'm no pro, but I really would feel better if you had a spotter there, though. Haha
Safeties were up. No danger. And those weren't competition bumpers. It wasn't as heavy as it looked

Safeties were up. No danger. And those weren't competition bumpers. It wasn't as heavy as it looked

I wondered if people used those for bench. I've only used them for squats, but I don't bench anywhere near what you do. I figured you knew what you were doing

I wondered if people used those for bench. I've only used them for squats, but I don't bench anywhere near what you do. I figured you knew what you were doing
They should be used whenever you're alone.

Yes. Don't force it. Big thing on the press, quads tight, abs tight, squeeze elbows, and bump your hips forward, feel the rebound and the bounce of the bar.

Another thing I think of that fits into the squeeze elbows, is to use your lats as a shelf for your triceps. Also, big chest to help the shelf. :)

Also, when I step forward to the bar for both presses and squats with my hands on the bar and "twisted" like blu said, I try to tear the bar in half / add tension to my back.

Guys, thanks so much for the comments and tips. I thought the golf swing had a lot of things to remember...

Some of this I already knew, or thought I knew, but obviously don't do when the weight is on. Like keeping my head down in the squat, I knew that, but watching the video I see my head jerk up as a reflex for pushing hard. So much to remember to do, though I assume it becomes second nature with proper training just like the golf swing.

Guys, thanks so much for the comments and tips. I thought the golf swing had a lot of things to remember...

Some of this I already knew, or thought I knew, but obviously don't do when the weight is on. Like keeping my head down in the squat, I knew that, but watching the video I see my head jerk up as a reflex for pushing hard. So much to remember to do, though I assume it becomes second nature with proper training just like the golf swing.
Unfortunately, the head looking up is a natural reflex. You have to make a conscience choice not to look up. If you focus on your hips, it will become second nature.

Another thing I think of that fits into the squeeze elbows, is to use your lats as a shelf for your triceps. Also, big chest to help the shelf. :)

Also, when I step forward to the bar for both presses and squats with my hands on the bar and "twisted" like blu said, I try to tear the bar in half / add tension to my back.
I like that tear the bar apart cue for presses.

Holy sh!t there's some awesome info and exchanges going on in here, absolutely love it guys!! Joe that video was great man, thanks so much for taking the time to do that! Im lifting tonight so im going to make sure I continue to apply those. Cant believe I can go downstairs now! Gotta get my phone setup so I can record some stuff.

Neb keep it up dude, looks like you're doing really damn well!

I love that video.

Out of curiosity, what was the Facebook argument about ?

Crossfitters advocating for high bar back squat.

From this article:

The great Chinese 77kg lifter, Lu Xiojun, catches this 175kg snatch here:

Lu-Xiojun-Snatch-1.jpg

Yet by the time he's risen to just below parallel, his back angle has changed significantly to the horizontal:

Lu-Xiojun-Snatch-2.jpg

If those angles of the knee, hip, and back look familiar, it's because they're exactly what you'd expect to see if Lu were performing a low-bar squat.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/complete-guide-to-barbell-squats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back