2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh I know, he has told me all kinds of things and gave me images that are probably in 50 shades of gray lol
The crudest mental imagine thats out there, imagine you're sitting down on the toilet.

oh I know, he has told me all kinds of things and gave me images that are probably in 50 shades of gray lol
Good. next time, think "start your hips back, then knees over toes."

Last edited:
Power snatches are going surprisingly well tonight

WTH is a power snatch?

A snatch from a power clean position, just above the knees.

A lot of really good information in this thread.
Thanks to all who provide information/guidance.

Blu's log for 3/18

Hang snatch
45# 2x5

Power snatch
95# 1x5
115# 1x3
125# 1x2
135# 5x2

Chins

That's a lot of chins....

Lol
Sorry.
I spent many years eating pizza and drinking beer. I've got to do a lot of chins to get rid of all of my chins. ;)

After doing no exercise all winter, I went out and played 18 holes walking three days in a row (middle of the day) as soon as the course opened. First two rounds, my stomach was 'complaining' somewhere near the ends of the rounds, and I thought it was 'lazy' stomach muscles. Third round, I ate before I played (I hadn't eaten before the previous two rounds), and no stomach complaints. I'm thinking it probably has something to do with nutrition vs. ... notrition....

Today was all about cardio.

30 minutes on the elliptical
10 x 25 yard suitcase carries with 50lb dumbbells
1 minute of 20lb medicine ball slams x 4 sets

Pretty light day today.

2x5 Pause deadlifts
3x3 weighted pullups
5 minutes of kettlebell snatches, 1/2 on 1/2 off.

Got to the gym 3x so far this week. Good to be back in it.

Recovery squats - knee sleeves
45# 2x5
135# 1x5
225# 1x3
250# 2x5 belted

Linear Progression Press
45# 1x5
95# 1x5
115# 1x3
135# 1x2
150# 3x5 - 5th set was struggle bus

deads - knee sleeves
135# 1x5 - hooked
225# 1x5 - hooked - chalk
315# 1x3 - hooked - chalk
390# 1x1 - belted - double overhand - chalk
430# 1x5 - alternated grip - chalk - belt

Chins

blu: how did you get used to your leg sleeves? I tried them a couple of times but never got over the knee lock feeling.

I have awful knees. I can spin my right foot 180* I like the sleeves. They're neoprene, which means they smell. Bad.

My biggest complaint is that while deadlifting, the bar catches them off the floor. The bar slows there. But I deal with it because happy knees make me happy

This week I finally dusted off my road bike and started riding again after a 4 month lay off. The hills around here kicked my butt - it will take me 3-4 weeks to get my cardio back to decent level. On a positive note I've continued the golf specific resistance training and bumped up to heavier weights over the last month. Yesterday I played 5 holes with my daughter and I hit my longest tee shots ever on the 1st and 5th holes with my 2Deep. It was strange because there was zero wind and the fairways are not hard. The straight 405 yard 5th has an elevated tee and I only had 96 yards left to a middle flag - normally my 2Deep leaves me with 130-140 yards in. I have hit my driver near to that location a couple times but only with help from wind. The combination of hitting the range a few times a week and all the golf specific weight training is really giving me some real distance gains over the last year. It's fun considering I turn 50 next week.

It's been a slow and steady grind for me. I've always been active and mobile but not necessarily healthy. After my wellness exam for work, I got a wake up call so I've been back at it.

Full body weight lift workout, 3 days a week... Bench, upright rows, lat pulldown, tricep pulldown, deadlift, squat, calf raise... 3 sets each 8 to 12 reps, 1 min rest between sets..

30 min of cardio on lift days... other 3 days 1 hour of cardio... no workout on Sunday

Made some changes to the eating habits. I eat breakfast now (never did before) and I never eat after 7pm. I've kept the calorie intake to around 2000 per day (2500 a day on lift days). But i still eat a little bit of everything to avoid the cravings but very conscious of portion control... and drinking at least 2 gallons of water or per day.

The biggest thing i've done is get more sleep... has made a huge difference.

overall, it's been a complete lifestyle change and I've lost 60lbs thus far... got another 40 to go.

Wierd thing is now I've had to major swing changes because before, I was so big that i couldn't make certain moves with my swing, keep my arms where I wanted them, etc... so I had a swing only a mother could love just to be able to get into a decent impact position. Now that I can actually get the club where I wanted in the back swing im having to make changes in the transition and downswing to get in a good impact position and strike the ball well...

But all things considered, it's a good problem to have.

60lbs is huge. Great job. I can only imagine the swing changes required from that losing that much weight. I lost 30 lbs while I couldn't play golf and had huge issues hitting the ball because I was used to hitting around my gut. I can only imagine losing double that. Keep up the good work!

Only down 2 lbs this week. I admit, I got a bit lazy on the spin bike and had a few work functions that provided food. Free food = bad news. Down 12 lbs in 3 weeks though. Down to 216. 185 is the goal.

Im going to pick up the slack this week...

Finally back at it this AM! Work has gotten in the way with my current gyms hours (open 8-8, 8-7 Fri) so I haven't been able to do much lately. Hit squats, military press, and 1 set of deadlifts before I got emailed to be on a conference call. Felt good, just wish I had more time, going to check out another gym in my town this weekend.
Also, my fiancé signed us up for a 5k on the 29th of March and I haven't ran in 6 months with all the snow... Should be interesting! Hope to get a few runs in before I suck wind on the 29th.

3.21. Morning session. Got to the gym at 6:40am

Wore knee sleeves and chalked just about everything.

Squats
45# 1x5
135# 1x5
225# 1x3
275# 1x2 belted
315# 1x1 belted
350# 2x3 belted

Bench press
45# 1x10
135# 1x5
185# 1x3
215# 1x3
240# 1x2
275# 1x1 - not my PR but it's where I'm at after a grip width reset

Hang clean
45# 1x5

Power clean
135# 1x3
150# 1x3
170# 1x1
185# 3x3 - NEW PR

Chins

Last edited:
Part of workout yesterday was similar to yours today Blu, only higher rep. Still in the cutting mode, so did some of it as super sets.

Kettlebell swings 2x20

Superset

Power cleans 3x5
Squats 3x5

Superset

Bench press 2x10
Kettlebell swings 2x20

Overhead press 2x7

Cable rows 2x10

Kettlebell swings 2x20

Good news is I finally broke through a scale weight plateau I have not been able to crack for about 20 years. With the exception of when I went on the Disneyworld spring break roto virus diet. Not one I recommend. Seeing the scale move, but in slow increments. But still moving and getting close to where I think I need to be. Helped me get some blood profiles and BP back where it should be, so really encourage.

Part of workout yesterday was similar to yours today Blu, only higher rep. Still in the cutting mode, so did some of it as super sets.

Kettlebell swings 2x20

Superset

Power cleans 3x5
Squats 3x5

Superset

Bench press 2x10
Kettlebell swings 2x20

Overhead press 2x7

Cable rows 2x10

Kettlebell swings 2x20

Good news is I finally broke through a scale weight plateau I have not been able to crack for about 20 years. With the exception of when I went on the Disneyworld spring break roto virus diet. Not one I recommend. Seeing the scale move, but in slow increments. But still moving and getting close to where I think I need to be. Helped me get some blood profiles and BP back where it should be, so really encourage.
That's a good conditioning program right there.

Ran a 5K this morning, finishing in 26:50. I hate running. But, was able to average 7:15 on the first 2.5 miles (then jogged the last slowly) and maintain a high heart rate for the first 20 minutes or so. Feeling pretty ready for this PT test on Tuesday. I only really need to run a 17:00 2-mile, but it's nice to have wiggle room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back