So what is everyone's thoughts on SP's apology on the GC?
I think she has handled it kind of well to be honest. It's over with, time to move on for me.

I didn't get to watch any of this and I'm catching up after the fact. It's kind of telling that over half of the pages of the Solheim thread are dedicated to this incident. So as I'm not a rules expert here's a question. Hull was obviously distraught with SP's call and strict adherence to the rule. Who made her the decision maker for the duo? Why couldn't Hull counter what SP said and just say "I'm sorry, I thought it was clear that I was conceding the putt and my partner wasn't aware."? I know they seemed to have come up with the story of discussing the concession, but nobody is buying that. Hull could just as easily declared the putt conceded, given her emotions about it. Why is SP the only voice that matters here?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

From a rules perspective, there were a few possible outcomes. In match play, you are permitted to ignore a rules violation by your opponent. However, you may not agree to waive a rule. Peterson would have been fine to simply walk off and allow everyone to assume the putt conceded. Once they teed off on the next hole, there would have been no opportunity to make a claim.

However, once the European players said something, both sides had acknowledged the infraction and the opportunity to ignore it was lost. I do believe that had Petersen said "we meant to give that putt but forgot to say something," that might have given the referee a slight opening to invoke the decision about a misunderstood concession.

The other option was for the European captain to insist they didn't want to win that way, have her players concede the 18th hole and the match would have been halved.

My stance is the outrage was not about Petersen calling out the infraction, but rather the vehemence with which she she acted. According to reports, her team leadership challenged her about the sportsmanship of her move and she we wouldn't budge an inch. There was apparently not any truth to reports that Lee had previously been warned about picking up putts. I think had Petersen taken the time to have a discussion with Hull or showed some sort of remorse at having to call the penalty, she wouldn't have faced so much backlash. But instead, it appeared she saw an opportunity to call it, and jumped on it with both feet.

The interesting thing is that many Euro fans who have come to her defense, are quick to bring up the "lack of sportsmanship" shown by the Americans in making Annika replay her chip in 2000. But you can't have it both ways Euro fans. If Petersen was completely justified in calling the penalty and should not be criticized according the spirit of the game, then the same is true for the Americans in 2000. Or, if what the Americans did was wrong despite being by-the-book, then the same would hold true for Petersen.

I do think her apology was sincere and I think it's time to let bygones be bygones.

It is in fact over and done with. I guess it changed the way I feel about SP, but she will be fine without me. Bigger to me was what Karen Stubbles had to say after the interview and it was not good really.

Hope everyone learned something from it all.

Her apology works for me and if nothing else she gave us something to debate and talk about. And it also gave us "Class, style, USA!" Win-win I say.

Back