2015 Wilson Staff Duo and Duo Spin Review Thread

I gave some Duos to my wife yesterday, who played these during a 9 hole round. There was an extremely noticeable difference for her in terms of distances, trajectory and accuracy (that part could be coincidence). What a great ball.

The DUOs are great. And I agree with the above statement that there isn't much, if any difference, in the spin model... I will continue to buy the DUO, but the spin will probably not get another chance.

Any way to till if they are the 2015 model ball? I tried these balls a few months ago and have been playing them ever since. I was able to find some nice 2 for $30 deals on the regular DUO's.

when i played the duo i didn't feel like it jumped off the face especially on the driver. It also had a higher ball flight(almost to high).

the duo spin for me jumps off the face and distance wise with the driver is about the same as what i hit with some other balls, but i noticed on iron shots its about 1/2 club longer than some other balls in this lower compression range.

It'd be nice if they moved the duo spin into the slot with the likes of the taylormade project a. Then I'd take a closer look. For now I'll stick with the FG tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been playing the Bridgestone e6 and like it but I wanted to try the Duo. I purchased a dozen and the first thing I did was the "drop test." Both the e6 and Duo were identical on the drop test. This afternoon I will game a Duo and let you know how it goes. Hoping the Duo matches the e6's performance.

Shot +9 on 9 with my first round using the Duo. +9 is usually what I shoot when gaming the e6 so I was right where I should be. I will say the Duo felt a little too soft but I will give it another shot on Wednesday. e6 still feels like the better ball for me.

I have been gaming the Duo since recently coming back to the game (2 years ago I was a 6hc)...and I really love the feel of this ball. I do not like anything harsh feeling so I like forged irons and I play GP Tour Wrap 2G...so this ball really feels good and like others have said is very durable. However, I would like a little more spin on short approach shots and around the green so I have recently bought a dozen Duo Spin to try and see if they help. I had not read this thread prior to and wish I would have as it doesn't sound like there is much difference. But what I can tell you is that what I have found is that with the Duo since it does run out on chips and short iron shots you just have to adjust your game and it works fine...I have just started trying to land my chips and pitches closer to me to add for the roll out. I also like the way this ball feels off the putter and agree that it will sort of come off the putter faster than normal so you need to just adjust your speed when putting with this ball. So other than a few adjustments for $20 a dozen you cannot go wrong and for someone like me that likes a soft feel at impact they are the great "Seriously"

PS I will try to remember to come back and do a review once I try the Duo Spin.

You should try the FG Tour.

You should try the FG Tour.

Thanks and back in the day I played the FG Tour and loved it around the green but it spun a little too much for me off the tee and irons as I played a high cutting fade. BTW that swing never would hold up...shot my two best rounds ever with it (74) but the next day could go out and struggle to break 90...it was all based on timing, etc...so toward the end of my golfing (two years ago) I started to migrate toward the S&T swing and shot some very consistent rounds but bad shoulders (2 surgeries drove me out of the game)...so coming back I am starting off with the S&T and bought Duo's thinking I would spray the ball around for a while and like them, however, as my game progresses I may end finding my way back to the FG Tour...it did everything I needed. The only thing I remember not liking about the FG Tour was that it would start to turn off white only after 9 holes...I like me a "white" golf ball...LOL

Yea this one does discolor too. Softer though since they had so much success with the Duo.

Yea this one does discolor too. Softer though since they had so much success with the Duo.

Literally the only negative about the FG Tour is the discoloration/durability. Performance wise, I haven't found anything better.

Literally the only negative about the FG Tour is the discoloration/durability. Performance wise, I haven't found anything better.

No I hear you it is a great ball...do the new Pro V1 balls discolor? I think I remember back when they also would do the same thing as the FG Tour but maybe Titleist fixed that???

Thanks and back in the day I played the FG Tour and loved it around the green but it spun a little too much for me off the tee and irons as I played a high cutting fade. BTW that swing never would hold up...shot my two best rounds ever with it (74) but the next day could go out and struggle to break 90...it was all based on timing, etc...so toward the end of my golfing (two years ago) I started to migrate toward the S&T swing and shot some very consistent rounds but bad shoulders (2 surgeries drove me out of the game)...so coming back I am starting off with the S&T and bought Duo's thinking I would spray the ball around for a while and like them, however, as my game progresses I may end finding my way back to the FG Tour...it did everything I needed. The only thing I remember not liking about the FG Tour was that it would start to turn off white only after 9 holes...I like me a "white" golf ball...LOL

I'm currently gaming the FG Tour and I haven't noticed it getting discolored. Granted, its wet, so the ball is washed frequently, whether in a ball washer or out in the fairway rolling around in the swamp that is Iowa. But that's interesting, I'll have to pay attention to that. It honestly is not something I've really looked for.

Out of several premium balls, I actually find the FG Tour to be one of the most durable ones I've ever played.

I still have two Duo's left in my bag. I liked them, but I wanted the better spin around the green. So I give them out to people around the course to try out.

~Rock

No I hear you it is a great ball...do the new Pro V1 balls discolor? I think I remember back when they also would do the same thing as the FG Tour but maybe Titleist fixed that???

Definitely better than they were. Still somewhat prone to it.

I'm currently gaming the FG Tour and I haven't noticed it getting discolored. Granted, its wet, so the ball is washed frequently, whether in a ball washer or out in the fairway rolling around in the swamp that is Iowa. But that's interesting, I'll have to pay attention to that. It honestly is not something I've really looked for.

Out of several premium balls, I actually find the FG Tour to be one of the most durable ones I've ever played.

I still have two Duo's left in my bag. I liked them, but I wanted the better spin around the green. So I give them out to people around the course to try out.

~Rock
Same for me. I use Duo 80% of the time but did pull out my FGs for a tournament 2 weeks ago. Durability is basically as good as the Duo for me as I didn't get a single scuff mark on any of the 3 I used for tourney play and no discoloration unless I'm just not as sensitive to that as others.

Somehow I still think it is longer with long clubs and shorter with short clubs but, honestly, I'm not consistent enough to say that with conviction which is why I choose the Duo for most rounds.

I neglected to talk about a very crucial piece of equipment I used at the Legacy. The new Wilson Staff Duo. I went into the event fully expecting to play the FG Tour. My ball of preference for the last several months.

When I got there I made a 180 & decided to play the Duo due to take some spin off the tee shots. That decision paid off huge.

I hit a ton of fairways/greens, plus I got plenty of spin when needed. The Duos & the TC tour grind wedges were a really good combo.

I use the Duo Spin currently. While others state they do not notice much spin difference with the Duo, I seem to find there was a noticeable difference I tried both, at least with how I swing. Unfortunately, the level of I spin I normally get is not high anyway, so I find that this ball just rolls out less / stops quicker than other balls. The putting, feels great to me, and my putting has been the weakest part of my game for a long time. I have been far better on my putting this year, and this ball gives me even more confidence on the green.

Have not yet tried the FG Tour, although something I may look into.

I neglected to talk about a very crucial piece of equipment I used at the Legacy. The new Wilson Staff Duo. I went into the event fully expecting to play the FG Tour. My ball of preference for the last several months.

When I got there I made a 180 & decided to play the Duo due to take some spin off the tee shots. That decision paid off huge.

I hit a ton of fairways/greens, plus I got plenty of spin when needed. The Duos & the TC tour grind wedges were a really good combo.

You and I were in the same boat, Tom. I was going into the event playing the FG Tour, and ended up gaming the Duo, exclusively. There was excellent grab on approach shots, and the distance off the tee was impressive. I don't know if the extra "grab" could be attributed to the bermuda, but that's my theory, as when I played the same ball in Iowa, it still had good stopping power, but not to the extent that we saw in MB.

I've been gaming the Duo Spin, that's what I played at Legacy and what I'm playing at home. I had a guy at Golfsmith helping me out when I was trying out some various clubs, and I found that for some reason with the D200 irons I'm not getting as much spin on the ball as would be ideal, so he recommended that I go with a higher-spinning ball. I can't really argue with the results I'm seeing. Higher shots that are landing softer.

So I was trying to decide to go with Duo or Duo Spin. The positives with Duo is they are $6 cheaper a dozen, more available at stores and they come in yellow (which seems to hide more the scuffs/marks these balls get quickly). The positive I could see with the Spin is more green side spin (but JB earlier this year only found about 300rpm difference) and a slightly higher ball flight which I am in need of. For now I decided to go with the Duo in yellow ( which will be my first yellow ball I play). I had a $10 off coupon at Dicks and got 3 dozen for $50. They did not have the spin in stock. The only place I know that carries the spin is a Golfsmith that is about a 45 minute drive from me. We will see how it goes.

I recently switched to the Duo and I'm absolutely in love with it. I played z-stars at the beginning of the season, swapped out for some chrome softs and I love the way they feel around the green but I find with my swing they spin so much more on all my shots, almost the same reason I'm not a big fan of the pro v. I went to the Duo after reading here and I don't think it will be removed for quite a long time, especially with the price tag.

I have played The duo now and find this ball to be exceptional. I get good distance off the driver and still get spin I need around the greens

I have played the duo a lot and Really like it. Thinking of trying out the duo spin. Like others have said the regular duo is not a high spinning ball. And from what I am reading here the duo spin doesn't offer a whole lot more than the Duo in regards to greenside spin. Is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back