2015 Wilson Staff Duo and Duo Spin Review Thread

How's the regular Duo compare with the 50 Elite? I realize that the Duo will feel softer because the compression is lower, but what about spin, distance, etc.?

just bought some duo spins to try out

Their garbage, I wouldn't buy them if I were you. :angel:

I decided to play a duo for league yesterday, and i continue to be surprised by this ball. It amazed me at legacy, and amazes me still. its long and straight. And for whatever reason, i just "get it" with the short game with this ball, it checks/releases exactly as i envision every time.

~Rock

My local GS has Duo overrun balls for 12.99 a dozen...SWEET!!! I am about to buy 3 dozen...

I decided to play a duo for league yesterday, and i continue to be surprised by this ball. It amazed me at legacy, and amazes me still. its long and straight. And for whatever reason, i just "get it" with the short game with this ball, it checks/releases exactly as i envision every time.

~Rock
Ditto for me, too, Rock. It fits what I try to do around the green (play for a little runout on chips/pitches), but I have been able to get good, and consistent spin performance on approach shots.

My boss started playing last season, and has gamed Pinnacles. I told her to play the Duos. She tried them last week, and I received a text when she was on the 2nd hole... She wanted advice on club selection, because she had gained a club + in distance. This ball works well for players of various skills and swing speeds.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

I find that I gain one club distance with irons and wedges with the Duo's - no problem there!!

I played two nine hole rounds this weekend with the Duo Spin and I like it just a "tad" better than the Duo. It is not as soft feeling to me as the Duo but pretty darn soft and I felt like my approach shots (ball stopped near divot or even backed up) and chipping and pitching around the greens gave me a bit more spin where I could control my runout very well versus the Duo that sometimes would take off on a chip or pitch shot. I think this will be my ball for now???

PS Believe it or not I felt like I got better distance also with the Duo Spin? Does that make sense...my SS with a 7 iron is in the high 70's???

In the UK the balls are Duo = DX2 soft,; the other is the DX3 spin.

I have tried both and am quite surprised that many guys do not feel a difference in the spin comparison. The Dx2 (duo) is IMO very very similar to Srixons Soft Feel which is the least spinning ball on the market. Its a ball I dislike intensly as it will never check up and only rolls out. I found the DX2 to be the exact same. I'm sure it will be ok in the winter with cold temperatures and wet wet greens.

The DX3 spin is a different animal entirely...excellent spin on the greens on any chip or pitch shot and it is very similar to Callys Chrome Soft, my current gamer. As our local golf store is doing a deal on the DX3 right now at £17.99 a dozen it will be my next ball in play and compared to Chrome Soft at £27.99 or the overpriced ProV1 at £47.99 its a no brainer for me.

Interesting feedback. Being that the DX3 is a surlyn cover and the Chrome Soft is a Urethane cover that is great to hear that you are getting excellent spin. I hae not seen that in the DX3 personally, but mileage will of course vary.

I have played a few rounds now with the Duo Spin and it is going to be my ball for a while. I recently played it side by side for quite a few holes with the TM Project (a) and found no real difference in distance (actually may have gotten a bit more from the DS) and I was able to get basically the same spin from both on approach shots, etc...the thing that I like best about the comparison was that the DS feels softer but to me has the same performance as a Urethane ball. The feel is what attracted me to the Duo in the first place and now the Duo Spin gives me both great feel and the spin I need (note: I am a high spin player by nature). Hope this helps!

I routinely switch between the Duo/Duo Spin/FG Tour depending on course conditions. Every now & then I mix in some ProV1 & ProV1X because I received them as a gift.

The Duo is a no brainer when conditions are cold or very wet. The lower spin rate is negated by wet/soft greens & the ball feels great even in 40* weather.

The Duo Spin gets most of the work because it's a great all around ball. Distance/feel/bite mix is just right for me.

The FG Tour (or ProVs) come out when I visit a course that has harder/more firm greens & FWs. I have to be more careful off the tee & with hybrids because the higher side spin rates can cause me to miss more FWs & greens.

I used some regular Duos today and I came away really impressed. I had forgotten how great they feel and how straight they are. Spin was decent. They key part is that they fly high so their descent angle helps them stop.

Has anyone tried the 2013 version vs the 2015 duo? I would assume they are virtually the same from a real world perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digging up an old thread because I think it's time I switched back to the Duo.

I got away from it when my game improved & I thought I needed a ball with more bite around the greens. Lately my game has regressed to the point where long, straight & soft from the tee to the green would be more beneficial than more bite around the green.

Digging up an old thread because I think it's time I switched back to the Duo.

I got away from it when my game improved & I thought I needed a ball with more bite around the greens. Lately my game has regressed to the point where long, straight & soft from the tee to the green would be more beneficial than more bite around the green.

I'm starting to think along these same lines. Had one of my best rounds with the spin and at the current sale they are a good buy.

The Duo is always a good play, especially at the price they're at right now.

I love playing the new Duo ball. Not the spin though. 30 bucks for 2 dozen is a steal.

Back