2015 Wilson Staff Duo and Duo Spin Review Thread

Took the '15 DUO and DUO Spin to the chipping green today and I have to say, I didn't notice much difference. If any the DUO was checking up quicker, so I really need to get these out to the course, but I guess I was expecting it to bite a little more than it did. It won't stop me from playing it as I LOVE the feel of these and the price is right. Plus, I like the numbers to be black on the ball for some reason... IDK why.

Both balls performed for me in a similar manner on little chips. The DUO Spin definitely spun more on full shots.

I picked up a box of DUO Spins today. It's too cold in northern IL to hit them, but they do feel nice off the putter.

Dave

Looking forward to your feedback when you do get them out.

Wilson does not market the "duo" name outside the United States. I believe I recall that the model you mention (in current form) is the same ball as Duo in Europe.

It's marketed as Duo in Australia.

Haven't gamed the Duo Spin but I still can't get check from any other ball I've tried as well as the Pro V1's 2013 edition.

Played my first round with the duo today and I'm impressed. Played the same ball for 15 holes until a rogue tree got me. Must say I'm impressed. Probably a little longer than the balls I've been playing (TM tp black) and similar feel. I had a very good chipping round, shot a solid score for not hitting the ball too well. Rolls nice off the putter, and very durable as I hardly noticed it was used 15 holes

If anyone has chipped/pitched with the Duo Spins and the Chrome softs, what were your thoughts? Was the fact that the Chrome is a urethane ball make it substantially better or were they not far apart? The price point of the Duo Spin is tempting provided there is performance.

If anyone has chipped/pitched with the Duo Spins and the Chrome softs, what were your thoughts? Was the fact that the Chrome is a urethane ball make it substantially better or were they not far apart? The price point of the Duo Spin is tempting provided there is performance.

In the end, greenside spin comes back to technique. But, urethane does spin more in general, technique will determine how much of a difference the user sees though.

Getting the Spins I ordered in tomorrow, petty excited to try them out.

Putting the Duo Spin in play tomorrow for my first official city tournament. Looking forward to seeing what this ball can really do for my game.

Played with the Duo Spin on Tuesday & had my best round in a long time. Finished with a 40/39 - 79 on a par 72.

To be honest, I didn't notice a lot more spin than I get with the 2 piece Duo on approach shots, but I also didn't notice any excessive spin off the driver either.

I'll be comparing it to the new Z-Stars tomorrow.

Played with the Duo Spin on Tuesday & had my best round in a long time. Finished with a 40/39 - 79 on a par 72.

To be honest, I didn't notice a lot more spin than I get with the 2 piece Duo on approach shots, but I also didn't notice any excessive spin off the driver either.

I'll be comparing it to the new Z-Stars tomorrow.

Pretty much how I remember it too.

I liked the Spin, but for $6 less I like the Duo just the same.

I keep forgetting I have these balls to put in play in the sim rounds

Another round today with both the duo and duo spin alternating. Same here like Shakey said, I'm not noticing much noticeable difference between the two with the driver, iron shots or chip shots. I can get both to hold pretty well, I've never had enough spin to back something up from the fairway anyways. The spin might be a tiny bit softer off the putter, but they did show more wear than the normal duo. For under $20 a dozen on the duo I don't think you can go wrong, but I still don't feel bad about the two boxes of spins I got for $26 each. Very solid balls

I putted today with a duo spin. Amazingly soft. Almost like putting air. I then putted a maxfli and it felt like a hollow rock.

Driver: Nike Covert 2.0 12.5 degrees
Fairway: Callaway X2Hot 4 Wood
Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 5 & 6
Irons: Taylormade Rocketbladez 8,9,P
Wedges: 52 Mizuno, 56 rtx, 58 smart sole, 64 rtx
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR 33

I'm really looking forward to trying these out once I run out of the e6s I have in my closet... and once the snow melts. Hearing that they're good into the green is big for me; I'm not someone who can spin or suck back approach shots at all, but I had major problems with the SuperSoft literally bouncing off of firmer greens. It wasn't even rollout, it was bounceout. Like a rubber kids ball.

Looking forward to your thoughts Shakey! I've got a '14 duo in my bag and I've been pleasantly surprised at its performance! Solid all around.

Seems many just aren't seeing much of a difference to justify going with the Spin model, I know JB's numbers back earlier in here earlier really made me start questioning why wouldn't I just go with the regular Duo. Seems to be the repeating thought in here right now.

Same price, I'd go for the Spin just because it says Spin on it lol. Sad, but true and you all know you'd do the same. For $6 I'm good to go though.

Same price, I'd go for the Spin just because it says Spin on it lol. Sad, but true and you all know you'd do the same. For $6 I'm good to go though.

Oh absolutely, if it were the same price. As it is though, why mess with a good thing, because the Duo is definitely a good thing.

Anybody have a comparison of these with Srixon Q Stars?

I bought a box of the Spins & got a 2 ball pack of the new Duo. I haven't made it to the launch monitor as planned earlier, but will get there soon & see what kind of #s they put up.

Does anyone have any updates on these balls? Just bought a dozen regular duos out of curiosity. Will probably use them when the greens are damp so that they hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played them up until last weekend. Greens are so freaking firm right now that I need all the help I can get keeping the ball under control.

I have a dozen Duos right now. I have no idea whether they are last year's or this years, other than I bought them a couple weeks ago on sale. Green side, they aren't quite as good as I had hoped for. But distance, feel, and forgiveness (less side spin) are all great. Oh, and I put one ball through about 30 holes and after washing it, it still looked brand new. That is one durable ball.

~Rock

Tried the new regular Duos yesterday on damp greens and fairways. My summary is that they are not for me. Decent distance of the tee but no short game help at all. No stopping action on those 20-30 yards half shots and putts are a bit too lively for my taste. Still, not a bad ball for the right player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back