2016 Masters Thread & Contest - Amazing Prize

Obnoxious yeah, unfair....maybe only because it's too soon. But let's face it was right up there with some of the biggest meltdowns in golf history.

I just can't get behind that. I believe meltdowns are Sunday's that include high 70s rounds... Two genuinely bad shots in the worst possible place, and he still managed to come back and birdie two holes to make things interesting. Composed, hanging in there, doing what he can.

I was thinking that, too. I hope it doesn't turn into a steve sax/chuck knoblauch mental situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
He made a bad shot off the tee, followed by a poor decision top drop along the line rather than the drop zone, that led to an indecisive shot. That second ball in the water led to a "just get it over the water" mindset that put it in the bunker.

I don't think he yipped at anything or necessarily made had some unconscious lapse to his swing. He let that first shot in the water get him away from thinking about the score he needed to win and instead got him thinking about the score he wanted to get on that hole.

I don't think it was a meltdown. Even if he put one ball in the water on 12, you would say that's the nature of the 12th hole. Let's say he makes 5 there. Then let's say he gets to 13, hits a great drive, knowing an eagle or birdie takes most of the sting out of a double on 12, but he puts that approach in the water as well, and even bogies that hole. No one would call it a meltdown; they'd say that's golf at the Masters on Sunday. He had all the capriciousness of the back nine at Augusta take a dump on him in one hole. I'm not sure that's really a meltdown.

I don't think if was a meltdown. Jordan and his team made a mental mistake, literally, one mistake, leading to Willet taking advantage. The Sloth put up an amazing fight to battle back. Willet put a great number and Jordan made a mistake. It's golf, it happens. No way I can see how anyone can call it a blowup or that he blew it. It was a mistake.

This coming from someone who was onto Jordan all week for his slow play and reactions to poor shots that some may call immature (ie, 11 on Friday). Did he handle losing perfectly, no. Would anyone in his position, no. I hope he bounces back and no better place than a chance at defending his title at the US Open.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I don't think if was a meltdown. Jordan and his team made a mental mistake, literally, one mistake, leading to Willet taking advantage. The Sloth put up an amazing fight to battle back. Willet put a great number and Jordan made a mistake. It's golf, it happens. No way I can see how anyone can call it a blowup or that he blew it. It was a mistake.

This coming from someone who was onto Jordan all week for his slow play and reactions to poor shots that some may call immature (ie, 11 on Friday). Did he handle losing perfectly, no. Would anyone in his position, no. I hope he bounces back and no better place than a chance at defending his title at the US Open.

As far as handling losing/poor shots immaturely, I predict his total fines for on mic/camera behavior to be approximately $0.00.

Not bad for a guy whose every shot has been dissected since Monday.

meltdown and now collapse.

Honestly golf channel, you are the freaking WORST. Welcome to ESPN quality golf coverage. Now stoooooop.

I really expected more from them. Too much to ask?

JM

I really expected more from them. Too much to ask?

JM

No. I believe that great analysts and writers find the good, positive, and potential out of results. The weakest are those who thrive on the negative, the bad, the shock.

I think we all know where GC is going with this one.

meltdown and now collapse.

Honestly golf channel, you are the freaking WORST. Welcome to ESPN quality golf coverage. Now stoooooop.

Anybody calling them (GC) out on Twitter for being dillholes yet?

As far as handling losing/poor shots immaturely, I predict his total fines for on mic/camera behavior to be approximately $0.00.

Not bad for a guy whose every shot has been dissected since Monday.
Just because he isn't fined, doesn't mean it doesn't look bad.

I just can't get behind that. I believe meltdowns are Sunday's that include high 70s rounds... Two genuinely bad shots in the worst possible place, and he still managed to come back and birdie two holes to make things interesting. Composed, hanging in there, doing what he can.
If he could've managed that put on 16 I think he may have forced a playoff. No quit in this kid. Plus a genuine class act. He'll put it behind him and move on. All great champions have scars.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No. I believe that great analysts and writers find the good, positive, and potential out of results. The weakest are those who thrive on the negative, the bad, the shock.

Unfortunately, agreed. That young man is 100% class in the way he has conducted himself. I hope the shock jocks don't get in his head. Nah, I know they won't. He's a bigger person than that.

JM

Just because he isn't fined, doesn't mean it doesn't look bad.

Lemme know when his caddie accosts someone, he takes to Twitter to get someone fired, or does anything that gets him named in the same conversation at John Daly or Stuart Appleby.

If saying stuff straight out of Leave It to Beaver ends up making him or the sport look bad, I can't imagine why Tiger Woods is still allowed near a golf course, or children for that matter.

Anybody calling them (GC) out on Twitter for being dillholes yet?

I don't usually air my disappointment with other media outlets on social media, but I don't mind doing so here.

It's cheap, easy storylines..... Despite the better one being an incredible round by the champion (who makes for an awesome interview), and a new gentlemen of the game emerging from this event (Spieth) despite one very unfortunate hole with two even more unfortunate shots.

Lemme know when his caddie accosts someone, he takes to Twitter to get someone fired, or does anything that gets him named in the same conversation at John Daly or Stuart Appleby.

If saying stuff straight out of Leave It to Beaver ends up making him or the sport look bad, I can't imagine why Tiger Woods is still allowed near a golf course, or children for that matter.
I simply said that I don't agree with some of his reactions after shots. I'm sorry, but think you're reading more into my comment than what I was trying to imply.

I don't usually air my disappointment with other media outlets on social media, but I don't mind doing so here.

It's cheap, easy storylines..... Despite the better one being an incredible round by the champion (who makes for an awesome interview), and a new gentlemen of the game emerging from this event (Spieth) despite one very unfortunate hole with two even more unfortunate shots.

I agree with what your saying, however the wheels started to come off on after the bogey on 10. In his interview he admitted he got away from the game plan. Which means he lost his focus and his mental strength which is more than a couple of bad swings in 12. Granted he did throw in 2 birdies to climb back in it....and what a story it would of been if he came all the way back to win it! But that's not the case....Jordan learned a ton of valuable lessons today, and I'm sure they will be the fuel for going forward. Craptastic journalism will always be there. It's a sad state of a trade that has gone to the dogs really.

Oh well can't wait for the U.S Open....

Just listened to the interview again "Buddy I think we are collapsing" his words to Michael. He knows he collapsed. It is what it is. They will report it and run it in tone ground. Bottom line for me is Jordan is handling it like he does everything with class and maturity well beyond his 22 years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That was a real shame. He just didn't handle the situation after he made bogey on 10 and it snowballed on him! At 22 I believe he will have lots of opportunities to come back from this disaster!

I agree with what your saying, however the wheels started to come off on after the bogey on 10. In his interview he admitted he got away from the game plan. Which means he lost his focus and his mental strength which is more than a couple of bad swings in 12. Granted he did throw in 2 birdies to climb back in it....and what a story it would of been if he came all the way back to win it! But that's not the case....Jordan learned a ton of valuable lessons today, and I'm sure they will be the fuel for going forward. Craptastic journalism will always be there. It's a sad state of a trade that has gone to the dogs really.

Oh well can't wait for the U.S Open....

A collapse suggests everything topples. Had he 'collapsed' he wouldn't have damn near holed out from 120 on 11.... And then birdied a couple more times before the round finished.

I agree he faltered... There's no question about it.. I just don't think it's the story of this Masters. There's a reason why the streak he beat was only bested by Palmer. It's damn near impossible/improbable.

"Masters meltdown" on golf channel is obnoxious. And unfair.
I'll grant you the obnoxious but I disagree completely that it's unfair. He had what, a 5 shots lead heading to number 10. Bogey, bogey, quadruple on a par 3 with two in the water is the absolute definition of meltdown / choke. This was up there with the all time golf chokes, very Jean Van De Velda-esque.

What is chamblee talking about...clown

You know, for three starts in the Masters a 2, 1 and a 2 ain't half bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No kidding. Realistically he's gonna have at least 20 more years of having a great chance to win there. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up with 4 green jackets

And the same hole got him in '14 and '16

They are telling the story in front of them, just like when they praised him endlessly (rightfully so) when he was playing so magnificently last year. IMHO it is easy / in the moment journalism.

Normally I would agree with the majority of the sentiments here and the media sucks but I really don't know what else you would call a pro throwing up a 7 on a Par 3 on Sunday at The Masters. Jordan has incredible mental strength and came back to birdie a couple holes but regardless you just can't quad a hole Sunday at the masters.

I hate to be negative but I think that's a lot more shocking (Especially from someone as steady as JS) than a guy shooting 67 on a course that played much easier than the previous 3 days. (Could be wrong here just seemed to be a lot more lower scores. I didn't actually look at today's scoring average.

Back