2018 Callaway Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X Golf Balls

Played this ball today for the 9 holes at Shaft Up and it performed admirably for me. Shot 37 and it was long off the tee and most impressively was the short game and how it stopped on a dime repeatedly. Using the regular CS today and tomorrow will go CS on the front and CSX on the back.

How was the x for you? I have some I’m just nervous to try them if they are maybe too spinny for my game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played the X today and time and again I just continue to be impressed with the ball. I did notice a few scuffs on the ball from wedge shots today, but nothing of a cut or anything like that to make it unplayable in my book. Hit some bombs, spun some irons and had some good up and downs today. Gamer for 2018 for a reason, Chrome Soft X.

Played the X today and time and again I just continue to be impressed with the ball. I did notice a few scuffs on the ball from wedge shots today, but nothing of a cut or anything like that to make it unplayable in my book. Hit some bombs, spun some irons and had some good up and downs today. Gamer for 2018 for a reason, Chrome Soft X.

It is the most (along with the CS) complete ball on the market IMO right now

So I played both and came away with the same initial thoughts. Prefer the CS to the CSX and most of that is based on the softer feel.

Both are really solid, but honestly where I so impressed is around the green. Playing with THPers I had numerous bunker shots and flop shots, as well as a number of short pitches that are so controllable.

So I played both and came away with the same initial thoughts. Prefer the CS to the CSX and most of that is based on the softer feel.

Both are really solid, but honestly where I so impressed is around the green. Playing with THPers I had numerous bunker shots and flop shots, as well as a number of short pitches that are so controllable.

I love these balls around the green. I was in a hardpan greenside bunker on Friday, and hit that low, spinny shot that you sometimes get out of those. It landed just short of the pin and just stopped. It's nice to know you can be aggressive on shots like that.

I love these balls around the green. I was in a hardpan greenside bunker on Friday, and hit that low, spinny shot that you sometimes get out of those. It landed just short of the pin and just stopped. It's nice to know you can be aggressive on shots like that.

That is my favorite thing about them right now. Just so much control and in a feel I really like if that makes sense.

That is my favorite thing about them right now. Just so much control and in a feel I really like if that makes sense.

The feel is something I'd describe as "right". Soft, but with enough feedback that it doesn't feel like a marshmellow. After Hype last year I pretty much switched to the ball full time, and while I tried a bunch of balls to start the year, I haven't found anything I like as much. I've been using the X just because in the few times I played 9 with each, my lower score came with the X. But that could just as much be my swing being more "on" for those 9 as much as the ball.

Limited Edition dozen contest will begin tomorrow on the home page.

It’s kind of a weird experience with this ball. The regular version felt too soft to me. Not sure how to describe it other than I didn’t really feel the feedback I was expecting compared to the 2017 version.

I didn’t care for the 2017 X version, but I’d Mc the regular chrome soft is too soft for me, I’m thinking the X might be the ball that best fits me. I have some Callaway rewards points to burn so I may use some and get a dozen of the X to try.

Got some positively kickass 2018 Chrome Softs! These balls speak to me.
I'm excited to put them in play and compare them to the 2018 CSx.
345a121a2a191d2f4d30e7ddd051caf5.jpg

I’ve bought a dozen truvis black and yellow CSX, a dozen CS truvis Stars and Stripes, and a dozen loose CS truvis blue. While I like the CS, I think the X seems better suited to my game. Seem to get a little more distance, and still feels nice and soft off the wedges and putter. Put some V1X balls into play yesterday for comparison, and I don’t miss the pro v’s at all. This will be my ball for the foreseeable future ⚽

I put the regular Chrome Soft in to play yesterday and today and really liked what I have seen around the green. I was very happy with my ability to get the ball to check up and roll out the perfect amount on some little chips around the green. Unfortunately the rest of my game continued to be a bit of a struggle and I need some more time to judge the longer shots.

I seem to play really well with the Chromesoft X. Some of the launch/spin comparison charts say this ball ‘should’ be the best for me: low launch and high spin. Exactly what I’m looking for off the irons.

Again in play the Chrome soft from this spring to test and review. They have been in play the last couple weeks during league. The feel and distance I am seeing is just getting better each time I hit it, so much confidence in this new ball. Was on a record round playing one of our leagues biggest hitters last Thursday, Had multiple shots into the green where the ball just sat, and then also released when needed. Had a chip in at a awkward angle, and a couple long putts. I was -4 coming into our 180 yard 9th hole par 3 feeling pretty pumped up and over judges my yardage(still trying to figure out my new W/S irons) and didn't think I hit it to bad figured be left side of green get up and down for par and have lowest round ever, but we couldn't find it. Ended up being below the green +15 yards OB UGH! So still shot a 34. But again want to say Chrome Soft will be the choice out of my bag the remainder of the year!

Has anyone noticed a difference in launch between the two? I feel like the 2018 CSx launch higher than the 2017 CS, so I'm curious if that trend is continuing.

Has anyone noticed a difference in launch between the two? I feel like the 2018 CSx launch higher than the 2017 CS, so I'm curious if that trend is continuing.

I can't say I've noted that difference in launch as I made that same transition, but a lot has changed in that time or me as well. What I have noticed is spin. Less on the driver, similar in the irons, maybe a touch more, and a noticeably amount more around the green.

My first outing with these balls was a blast! Distance was awesome on great shots and they definitely spin. By the way, nothing like watching a truvis wedge shot spinning into the green. Wish I had a slow mo cam setup. I was already a CS fan and that will absolutely continue. I love their feel off the face of every single club, including my putter.

My favorite shot of the day was on the 8th, a par 4. I had an 8i chip shot from 25yds out that looked like it was too hot but grabbed and sounds down 2ft from the hole. Saved par.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My first round with the 2018 Chrome Soft was a resounding success. I was backing up wedges with regularity and getting a nice flight through the bag. I enjoyed the feel through the bag I found it a little soft off the driver.
With regards to durability , I played 18 holes with one ball and it was torn up pretty good at the end so I left it on the chipping green for someone else to discover. I had a handful of trees and cartpaths today.

Last edited:
Comparing the '17 to the '18, I had to hit the balls side by side to tell a difference and it was definitely more in performance than feel for me. A little longer and straighter off the tee and with really good in wind performance. I was a fan of the previous iteration as well, but I have personally experienced some distance gains and stability and I have the same green side spin that I've come to love.

Comparing the '17 to the '18, I had to hit the balls side by side to tell a difference and it was definitely more in performance than feel for me. A little longer and straighter off the tee and with really good in wind performance. I was a fan of the previous iteration as well, but I have personally experienced some distance gains and stability and I have the same green side spin that I've come to love.

This is something I'm looking forward to testing, especially since it seems like 75% of my rounds are in a decent wind. This is going to be a key performance aspect that I'll be focusing on. It's good to hear you're seeing good results!

Bought my first sleeve of the 2018 balls yesterday so I could play and write a review on them for the Grandaddy contest. Have played them for 36 holes now. My game was pretty sharp for 27 of the 36 holes and was really impressed with all aspects of the ball. I honestly was not a huge fan of prior Chrome Soft generations. Could not get my normal distances on full shots and thought the feel was too soft, expecially in the short game. Did not get those same feeling from the 2018 version and was getting distances on par with the normal balls I play. Very impressed by the spin from 100 yards in with this ball. Took a little getting used too as I was getting more spin than I am used to from my normal balls.

I’ll be putting these in play this week and will post my feedback

This ball is great around the green!!! Love watching the Truvis spinning and checking up.

Since this thread is about both versions I wish people would be more specific about which version they are referring to. When I played last year's versions I found distinct differences in performance. The regular CS was about 1/2 club longer than the X off the irons while the X was lower launching and a better ball for me into the wind. The X also seemed to spin a little more on full approach shots and was firmer feeling. I bought a sleeve of each of this years version earlier in the season but couldn't get a good enough feel for the differences in performance in the 2018 models.

I’m really enjoying the hell out of these! Over the last couple months I’ve been tinkering with several different golf balls and I think I may be done and ready to commit to the ‘18 Chromesoft. From tee to green it’s just fantastic!

Back