2018 Callaway Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X Golf Balls

I played the prior gen CSX and didn't care for it. Seemed too hard for my liking! Is the 2018 CSX any softer/better?

I’ve been gaming the 2018 CSX for most of the year, but still have a stash of the 17s to use. Every time I bring them out it’s noticeable how they’re a bit firmer. (And spin a bit more off the driver, and less around the greens)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played the 2018 CS yesterday and was pretty happy, especially since I'll put it in the bag for my next round haha.

Not really good at reviewing golf balls. I simply trust the performance of this ball. It holds greens well, I had some bad chips yesterday that luckily didn't go further than what they did because it would check.

Had a mid-flight 6iron from the rough fly over the flag and bounced another 10 feet but still held the green and a look at birdie. For as hot as that ball was coming in I was fortunate to still hold the green, the ball mark was pretty big but again, knowing that this ball is going to hold greens is a nice boost.

Around the greens it did the job, but need to become a better chipper. Off the tee they were great, solid distances and still in play.

My results with these have been really consistent throughout the year. I'm not sure I've found a better performing ball, but it also probably has the worst durability of any ball I've ever played.

Still best all around ball I have gamed all year

I played the regular '18 Chrome Soft tonight. Compared to the 17csx and pro v1x from the stash I have been playing it was a little longer on the irons. I had several irons shots that were consistently about 6-7 yards longer than I was expecting. Good ball, I need to get the 18x out again to compare.

Well, as good as these new 2018 balls are, I confirmed to myself last night that they still haven't managed to make them float.....

Donated 2 to the water gods during the round, but as they were both battle-scarred from the weekend it didn't hurt as much as if I had just pulled them out of the bag for that round

I may be tempted to pick up a dozen of the normal (non-X) version to see if I can see any differences in performance, although I do have at least a dozen of the previous generation Truvis in both the normal and X versions to get through still

Still loving this ball. It does what I expect it to do. Flight is perfect great control, distance is Long oh and it does this.
034b4a263c679c50a69864d27affecca.jpg
bec6ca8202679a7291cfe9645e2005fd.jpg

Bought a dozen of these the other day. I love how they perform!
I know exactly what this ball will do around the greens which is a great confidence booster!

Bought a dozen of these the other day. I love how they perform!
I know exactly what this ball will do around the greens which is a great confidence booster!
Nice! I need to check out the new CSX. Haven't even given it a try and I want to see how it handles with my new swing improvements.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nice! I need to check out the new CSX. Haven't even given it a try and I want to see how it handles with my new swing improvements.

I would think it’s worth a shot! Especially for you!

i used some Callaway rewards and got 2 dozen Chrome Soft X to try out at the Ultimate Gathering. looking forward to see if these can work for me because i didn't like the regular Chrome Soft

5 iron from 195 into a little wind almost resulted in my first hole in one today. This is the rollout on a Chrome Soft X for information purposes as I am a low spin player, but I can control this ball into greens.

97771b46920277bbac610ec5fc5dbba3.jpg

i used some Callaway rewards and got 2 dozen Chrome Soft X to try out at the Ultimate Gathering. looking forward to see if these can work for me because i didn't like the regular Chrome Soft
Looking forward to your thoughts Mike! What's been your gamer?

So after switching back and forth between these two models I think I've decided to go with the regular Chrome Soft. It's basically coming down to feel for me, I like the softer feel. Don't get me wrong, the X model really isn't a ton different but the performance I'm seeing is so close that I'm sticking with what I'm most comfortable with feel wise.

5 iron from 195 into a little wind almost resulted in my first hole in one today. This is the rollout on a Chrome Soft X for information purposes as I am a low spin player, but I can control this ball into greens.

97771b46920277bbac610ec5fc5dbba3.jpg
[/QUOTE
Congratulations!!!

I was really looking forward to getting out today and putting the CS and the CSX against each other to finalize which is the best ball for me. Torrential downpour and lightning is preventing that from happening. First chance I get, I'm back out there!

I've been waffling between the Chrome Soft and X, and I honestly can't decide between them. I think I'm longer off the tee with the X, and have generally scored better with the X when I've swapped the ball between 9s. But I've had a box of the Chrome Soft come my way, and I'll never say no to free Callaway balls. I've really played well with the standard Chrome soft, shooting two +1 9s. They really are both great balls.

I think part of it is I've switched to irons that are a bit more high spin, so the extra spin I was seeing on the X into greens isn't quite as important.

I've been waffling between the Chrome Soft and X, and I honestly can't decide between them. I think I'm longer off the tee with the X, and have generally scored better with the X when I've swapped the ball between 9s. But I've had a box of the Chrome Soft come my way, and I'll never say no to free Callaway balls. I've really played well with the standard Chrome soft, shooting two +1 9s. They really are both great balls.

I think part of it is I've switched to irons that are a bit more high spin, so the extra spin I was seeing on the X into greens isn't quite as important.

Literally the same boat. I’ll alternate between x and not and they’re both good, I can’t seem to figure out which one works better for me all around. I think the x spins more off the driver for me, but better around the greens than the regular. It’s a pretty tough call to be honest

Literally the same boat. I’ll alternate between x and not and they’re both good, I can’t seem to figure out which one works better for me all around. I think the x spins more off the driver for me, but better around the greens than the regular. It’s a pretty tough call to be honest

Add another one to the waffling group. The only real difference I've noticed is the sound/feel and it's not even a big enough difference to bother me much. I thought I was settled on the Chrome Soft but after bouncing back and forth I can gladly play either.

I played the Red Chromesoft truvis today and I am really impressed. The Spin around the green was something new to me.
I can see what all the love for this ball is about.

I have played nothing but Chrome Soft Truvis for the most part the last 2 years but going to try the CSX Truvis for my round today. I've never played this ball but after finding a TP5x the other day and playing a couple holes with it, I was impressed and liked the slightly harder feel. I picked up a dozen Green CSX Truvis from Dick's yesterday on the flash sale to try.

The highlighted above is very interesting to me. I have wondered whether I would see slightly different results if I played something different to my Z545 irons?

My wedges are ready for replacement, but the short game lesson I had this week changed my technique and I was still seeing some serious bite on these balls with partial swings (Chromesoft X balls)

I think the combination of the Z545 head with the Modus3 Tour 130 shafts gives a steep angle of descent in to greens so I don't lose much in terms of stopping power, and I do even see some slight spin back with the shorter irons, but I have wonedered if a change of clubs to maybe the 7-series irons would give me a bit more control at times?

I picked up a dozen CSX Green Truvis yesterday before my round and I have found my new ball. I had never played a X version ball but I will fr0m here on out. The X was longer with all clubs and honestly took me 4 or 5 holes to figure out I needed to club down one. I didn't actually measure any drives but was playing a course that I play every Friday with a friend so I know where my good drives land normally and I was 15-20 yards farther than any other day.

The driver distance may be partly due to the new G400 Max but irons were also longer. The first time I flew the green I was 144 yards to the pin which is normally perfect 8i yardage. The ball landed 5 yard over the green but I just figured it was a flyer until the next green and same thing with a 130 yd 9i. The rest of the round I just clubbed down one from normal. On 17 I mis-hit driver and was 180 to the center just off the fairway and was about even with my friend who was in the middle of the fairway. I hit a 7i to about 10 feet and my friend asked what club I hit and about fell over when I told him it was a 7i.

While I loved the yardage gain, I also really enjoy putting with the X over the standard CS. I like the click off the face and the slightly harder feel. It's no rock like say a Volvik but just feels a bit more solid. I am not a high spin iron player so the added spin was nice with one hop and stop iron shots. I only wish I would have tried a X ball earlier but never even considered it.

Back