2019-2020 College Football Thread

I am not arguing that Baylor is better than Florida, but the reasoning they use for their rankings just seems shaky. I think OU will beat Baylor, but Baylor should be ranked higher than OU until it happens.

Im in the minority that I think the answer makes perfect sense. SOS does and should matter.

I am not arguing that Baylor is better than Florida, but the reasoning they use for their rankings just seems shaky. I think OU will beat Baylor, but Baylor should be ranked higher than OU until it happens.
Exactly, program history plays a large role whether the committee wants to admit it or not. For instance if OU was undefeated and had played Baylor's exact schedule, they'd be sitting top 3. Good news is this will all likely play out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If Clemson is #3 at this point in the season, then Minnesota should be #4 & Baylor #5 because Clemson's schedule is just awful
and that is what is supposedly keeping Minny & Baylor lower.

I have no dog in the fight, but I believe this will all work itself out in the long run. Think of the craziness should LSU & OSU lose. :oops:

Georgia being 4 is joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Really thought it would be Alabama. And would not have argued with Oregon. I guess all 3 will have a common opponent in Auburn after tge games over the next few weeks so we will see how that plays out.

If Clemson is #3 at this point in the season, then Minnesota should be #4 & Baylor #5 because Clemson's schedule is just awful
and that is what is supposedly keeping Minny & Baylor lower.

I have no dog in the fight, but I believe this will all work itself out in the long run. Think of the craziness should LSU & OSU lose. :oops:

You are 100 percent correct.
Minny should be 4. They are undefeated and beat the committees number 4 team. That tells me the committee does not believe their own rankings

You are 100 percent correct.
Minny should be 4. They are undefeated and beat the committees number 4 team. That tells me the committee does not believe their own rankings

Unfortunately, their dream ends this Saturday

The PAC 12 has to be very happy with Oregon and Utah ranked where they are and the likelihood that they will face off in the conference championship.

Exactly, program history plays a large role whether the committee wants to admit it or not. For instance if OU was undefeated and had played Baylor's exact schedule, they'd be sitting top 3. Good news is this will all likely play out.

Of course it does. See early polls.
And if program history plays a role, you have to assume that some dont even believe Baylor should have a program anymore, right?

Im in the minority that I think the answer makes perfect sense. SOS does and should matter.

SOS does matter, but I don’t believe Florida’s one good win trumps Baylor or Minnesota being undefeated in their power 5 conferences. Minnesota has a bigger beef than Baylor, having already had a great win.

If you compare one-loss Georgia to one loss Oklahoma, it is easy to rank Georgia ahead with their loss being better than Oklahoma and their wins being better than OU. There, SOS matters. But I don’t think the committee should rank one or two loss teams over undefeated teams in major conferences.

I would rank undefeated teams in major conferences all ahead of teams with losses and only use SOS to rank those teams. Then I would move to one loss teams and rank them and so on. Sure, when OU and Baylor are both undefeated, use the eyeball test and SOS to rank one ahead of the other. As soon as OU loses, they should drop below Baylor until they are both equal in the standings.

My top ten today would be:
LSU
Ohio State
Minn
Clemson
Baylor
Georgia
Alabama
Oregon
Penn St
Oklahoma

The good news is that it usually works out by the end.

Last edited:
SOS does matter, but I don’t believe Florida’s one good win trumps Baylor or Minnesota being undefeated in their power 5 conferences. Minnesota has a bigger beef than Baylor, having already had a great win.

If you compare one-loss Georgia to one loss Oklahoma, it is easy to rank Georgia ahead with their loss being better than Oklahoma and their wins being better than OU. There, SOS matters. But I don’t think the committee should rank one or two loss teams over undefeated teams in major conferences.

I would rank undefeated teams in major conferences all ahead of teams with losses and only use SOS to rank those teams. Then I would move to one loss teams and rank them and so on. Sure, when OU and Baylor are both undefeated, use the eyeball test and SOS to rank one ahead of the other. As soon as OU loses, they should drop below Baylor until they are both equal in the standings.

So you think Baylor or Minnesota could beat Alabama or Georgia? Not a shot in hell!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

So you think Baylor or Minnesota could beat Alabama or Georgia? Not a shot in hell!

Would I bet on it to happen? No. Could it happen? Yes.

I wouldn’t have bet Kansas State would have beat Oklahoma. I wouldn’t have bet Evansville would beat Kentucky. I wouldn’t have bet Minnesota would beat Penn St. I wouldn’t have bet on Douglas over Tyson. All things are possible, but it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy when teams don’t get their shot. I would not have bet in a million years that Boise St would beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, but they did.

As I said, I don’t think Baylor will beat Oklahoma and it will work itself out, but they should be currently ranked higher than teams with one and two losses.

Would I bet on it to happen? No. Could it happen? Yes.

I wouldn’t have bet Kansas State would have beat Oklahoma. I wouldn’t have bet Evansville would beat Kentucky. I wouldn’t have bet Minnesota would beat Penn St. I wouldn’t have bet on Douglas over Tyson. All things are possible, but it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

As I said, I think Baylor will beat Oklahoma and it will work itself out, but they should be currently ranked higher than teams with one and two losses.
fify. ;)

No conference more so....but who has dominated college football for the last decade plus? And I'm an FSU fan.

Sure, but what does 10 years ago, or even last year have to do with with this year?

The committee ranks teams on what they think will happen, not on what has happened, that's the issue. It becomes self-fullfilling as mentioned above if they keep getting more chances than others.

No conference more so....but who has dominated college football for the last decade plus? And I'm an FSU fan.

Pretty sure they have something like 9 national titles in the past 13 years lol.... So yeah I wonder why they are hyped

Sure, but what does 10 years ago, or even last year have to do with with this year?

The committee ranks teams on what they think will happen, not on what has happened, that's the issue. It becomes self-fullfilling as mentioned above if they keep getting more chances than others.
They should do that but they don't. IE bammer and Clemson.

South Carolina beat Georgia in their house... and they are 4-6 and recently lost to App st.... so yes, both of those could beat the Bulldogs

My top ten today would be:
LSU
Ohio State
Minn
Clemson
Baylor
Georgia
Alabama
Oregon
Penn St
Oklahoma

I am a OU homer and I agree with where we are rated. But I do have to disagree on one thing with you. OU loss is not worse that Georgia’s loss. K State is better than South Carolina

I am a OU homer and I agree with where we are rated. But I do have to disagree on one thing with you. OU loss is not worse that Georgia’s loss. K State is better than South Carolina

Splitting hairs, but Georgia lost in OT 20-17. KSU scored 48 points against OU. Considering the narrative is that OU can’t play defense, I think OU’s loss is worse than Georgia. Plus, our best win (until Saturday) is against Texas. I agree that K State is better than S Carolina.

Back