2019 Callaway Apex Hybrid

I apologize if I repeat something that has been stated in the thread. These to me look like a Rogue that has been shrunk down.

Last edited:
Rogt
Apex Hybrid:
Apex 23* 4 Hybrid, shaft Catalyst 70 g. Bent 2* upright.
This was one that was rumored no one new if there would be a replacement. I was hoping, I had played the older Apex hybrid in a 5i and absolutely loved it. The original wasn’t really big and it was perfect from any lie. Back to ECPC, Garrett asked me what I wanted to try I had said well my old setup was a 5i Apex Hybrid. So, he walked over grabbed 2 new Apex hybrids one stiff shaft one reg shaft. First few swings with the stiff shaft again no problem getting the ball up and I was liking the flight, distance was good 175-180ish. So again, not much time spent with it other than Garrett suggesting to go to a 4 hybrid because of gapping issues, 7 wood at 200-225, 5 Apex Hybrid 178 avg. huge gap and also a problem gap in my old bag. So, without testing, a 4 Apex Hybrid was in my bag the next morning. Trying it at the range instant smiles and good feelings about the 4h choice, it is seriously such an easy club to hit and with Jailbreak technology new in the hybrids this year the ball again just flies off the face. Not having played it yet back home more testing will be needed to fine tune my yardages but I see this filling the gap I had in my bag 2018, and just as much if not more confidence with the new 19 in my hands. Comparing the old vs new, the 18 is a little smaller and also shorter top of face to some, the 19 has a polished finish looking great at address, the size difference is minimal between the two but with the jailbreak tech the ball comes off even hotter not real low penetrating flight but a climbing flight.
6a0c6f6c9f6aba38b7df96a9618f1533.jpg
9a476a7eb33cae04151768442fe7137d.jpg
e40bf08a59c3f5253ed45419f8fa01c1.jpg
5bfd7c8335f3321da5994851c20b88c7.jpg
d1fe2ff5dfc25e7c93054460c89d27e5.jpg
edac2ad2d4b8ff1a3ae7b1834eeaacf6.jpg
0964e47683ea57763140505475436f89.jpg
4b4719751411dbccda8c4732f4690f10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callaway once again coming in with what appears to be a ridiculously closed face. You guys had my hopes up for a minute making me think the new Apex would be my dream hybrid. Guess this isn't the year for me.

Callaway once again coming in with what appears to be a ridiculously closed face. You guys had my hopes up for a minute making me think the new Apex would be my dream hybrid. Guess this isn't the year for me.

It’s not ridiculously closed to me. I’m fact sits up pretty neutral.

I'll check it out in person. In the comparison pics above it looks to be even more shut than the previous model

posted from somewhere in the world on my phone

I'll check it out in person. In the comparison pics above it looks to be even more shut than the previous model

Comparison pics are hard normally for a single person to have both shot at same angle.

I with they had kept the flat black finish. I will be trying one out though. Great reviews guys!!!!

5accaef071876ccef8d26381c0500193.jpg

046c1799df00c4acd626a66089fb6d70.jpg

The third pic in the first post is what really makes it look closed.

The pic Tadashi posted earlier shows it more neutral. I guess it’s best to see them in hand.

This has been my impression as well. And I’m someone who hates the look of an obviously closed face. These seem neutral to me.

For some reason it's tough to get a good picture of the Apex without making it look closed. I just took my normal stride and this is what it looks like, sorry for the crappy lighting. It looks really neutral to me when I look down at it.

071b7f67f5b233926c059345b91d1d1b.jpg

And a few more comparison pictures.

f90c704590117f3d1184f93227012d0c.jpg

cd4562b6ce0fed31570e2cae6adbbcd4.jpg
61e0c1f72db8a9ef0b4d90a22e9c22a7.jpg

Being a big fan of my “older” Apex 4 hybrid, when looking comparison wise the heel to toe length looks the same however he front to back seems “fatter” I assume to accommodate the jailbreak tech.... also, not a big fan of the black gloss look but will be searching CPO a few months after they come out :)

Thanks for the comparison pics with the old Apex KEV. I was a fan of the original and prefer the matte to the gloss finish, but performance trumps all.

Thanks for the comparison pics with the old Apex KEV. I was a fan of the original and prefer the matte to the gloss finish, but performance trumps all.

I feel the same way, I loved the matte finish. I'm really glad they stuck with that squared toe look at least, is still my favorite sister hybrid out there.

Do you want the good thoughts or bad?

The good is that the shape is very pleasing to my eye. The setup is percent to me. The look from the top screams hit it hard.

Now hitting it surprised the hell out of me. They launched high and long. I haven’t flushed hybrids like the way I did today in a long time. High boring flight that held its line so well. Flighting it down was zero problem and no need to try to launch it because the tech takes care of that.

The 5W will be replaces with the 3hybo and I may add a 2hybo with a low spin shaft for that lower ball flight that can get out and roll after it lands.

The bad........crickets, crickets....can’t say anything bad about the clubs.
Freddie, bigger head screams draw bias and left miss for me. Did you see any of that? Besides the jailbreak tech, how do they compare to the XR pros?

Freddie, bigger head screams draw bias and left miss for me. Did you see any of that? Besides the jailbreak tech, how do they compare to the XR pros?

I haven't seen anything resembling a draw bias in these. They're pretty neutral long iron replacement-type hybrids. In the same vein as the previous Apex. I don't think I'd consider these a large headed hybrid.

I think my favorite thing is how solid a good strike feels. I went to the driving range today and we had a pretty good cross breeze going and balls hit with these were just staying on their line.

I hit a couple low on the face and while I lost some launch I still saw a descent ball flight. The ball stayed its line but I did notice distance loss. But those center strikes are something to behold. Yesterday gave me that fire in my belly to put a hybrid or two back in the bag.

The head is larger than their previous iteration but no larger than any other hybo on the market. The design still gives it a sleek look. I did not see any pulls due to the design.

I never hit the XR pro hybrids so I can’t compare. But I can compare to the old apex, 816 and GBB. For me, this new hybo I much better.

Sitting on my couch, there are a few things I don't like about the changes from the original but I bet I don't notice a single one of them in person. I'm excited to hit this.

Those are 100% the picture angles.

But, I know you thought the OG was closed too which for me it was as neutral as they get, and why they stayed in the bag so long.

e5e9f394fcc4d25477ee4d8ce377cdf3.jpg

The face isn’t close to being closed. As other have said it sits very neutral. The edited this pic to show you.
#4 hybrid was turned in as it sat for the pic. The other two stayed in the address position I was looking for.

The face isn’t close to being closed. As other have said it sits very neutral. The edited this pic to show you.
#4 hybrid was turned in as it sat for the pic. The other two stayed in the address position I was looking for.

Offset at all like the rogue hybrid? which I couldn’t bare to look at once I got it off their website

Last edited:
A shame they didn’t stick with the matte finish. The previous Apex was my favorite hybrid ever so I’ll need to give these a try and see if a hybrid makes it back into the bag.

Really testing my color blindness there!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back