Dallas hiring Mike McCarthy!!!

Wonder if McCarthy learned anything in his year away from the game. If not, Cowboys fans can look forward to a HC who (a) prematurely abandons the run, (b) refuses to use, let alone, maximize, his best playmakers (see Aaron Jones), (c) fails to make meaningful halftime adjustments, and (d) stubbornly sticks with gameplans and play calls, game after game, that are not working (for example, the year Jordy went down, he refused to call any creative combo routes to free receivers who struggled to get open in man coverage).

McCarthy’s first comments during his press conference:

“Dez caught it.”

Really not a fan of this hiring...

I still don't think Jason was the reason the Cowboys under performed, but not sure McCarthy is who I would have gone with to replace him.

Smart choice by both sides. Jerruh gets a coach who has won in the league and McCarthy gets a playoff, if not Super Bowl, caliber team. I know they underachieved and lost out to the practice squad Eagles, but they have Dak and Zeke. Really need to have the defense play better.

The question is, will Jerry Jones stay out of McCarthy's way or will he meddle..

Interesting hire. I surely thought a defensive minded coach would be better for Dallas given how they are built on that side of the ball. Defensively they are really close to being dominant and if you commit to the run game, you have a balanced team that can win anywhere and anytime.

At least the Cowboys A)Didn't wait long B)Didn't hire Marvin

The question is, will Jerry Jones stay out of McCarthy's way or will he meddle..

Jerry being Jerruh. Of course he is going to meddle. Question is how much? Winning will be the deciding factor. Just have to beat the Eagles and the division should be theirs. Giants and Skins are not good football teams.

Everyone is complaining about the OT rules again after Vikings' win.

Why not just do a whole extra quarter for OT? Leader at the end wins? Is there reasons this wouldn't fly?

Interesting hire. I surely thought a defensive minded coach would be better for Dallas given how they are built on that side of the ball. Defensively they are really close to being dominant and if you commit to the run game, you have a balanced team that can win anywhere and anytime.

With that OL and Zeke Elliott, Prescott shouldn't have to pass as much as they had him this season. They could use more help in the secondary and need a better year from Demarcus Lawrence. His sack numbers declined the past season. Needs to play up to the huge contract he signed.

CvLUiw_WcAAzo4z.jpg

Jerry being Jerruh. Of course he is going to meddle. Question is how much? Winning will be the deciding factor. Just have to beat the Eagles and the division should be theirs. Giants and Skins are not good football teams.
Not that I have any faith in the skins but with firing Bruce Allen and putting together their new coaching staff they might actually be competitive.. Or Dan Snyder will find a way to screw it up

So McCarthy goes to Dallas. I’d have liked him in. Levels d but I wasn’t totally sold. In my mind basically means it’s more than likely McDaniels (he’s from northeast Ohio) or Kevin Stefanski.

I’m guessing the Browns don’t wait around for another chip to fall. Once Matt Rhule decides to go to the NYG, I’d say they need to make their move.

My gut tells me it’s McDaniels and has been all along.

Not that I have any faith in the skins but with firing Bruce Allen and putting together their new coaching staff they might actually be competitive.. Or Dan Snyder will find a way to screw it up

I found it really odd that they are already committed to hiring a GM after the draft instead of before. Not sure many potential GMs out there would love the fact that they come into their first year with a draft class that is not theirs.

From a Jerry Jones meddling perspective, he loves to have press conferences after games but I'm not sure how much, or if any, meddling he is doing in terms of coaching decisions and game plans.

Just not sure if Haskins is the QB of the future.

Yesterday marked 28 years since the Lions last playoff win. I was 10 years old. Ugh.

The 1 big reason I don't particularly like the McCarthy hiring is no coach in NFL history has won a Super Bowl with two different teams, and I don't expect McCarthy to become the first to do so haha.

Everyone is complaining about the OT rules again after Vikings' win.

Why not just do a whole extra quarter for OT? Leader at the end wins? Is there reasons this wouldn't fly?

I'd imagine the networks would lose so much money in lost advertising, programming delays

Wonder if McCarthy learned anything in his year away from the game. If not, Cowboys fans can look forward to a HC who (a) prematurely abandons the run, (b) refuses to use, let alone, maximize, his best playmakers (see Aaron Jones), (c) fails to make meaningful halftime adjustments, and (d) stubbornly sticks with gameplans and play calls, game after game, that are not working (for example, the year Jordy went down, he refused to call any creative combo routes to free receivers who struggled to get open in man coverage).
Wait, didn't you just describe our coach from the last 10 years there?! #Great
Really not a fan of this hiring...

I still don't think Jason was the reason the Cowboys under performed, but not sure McCarthy is who I would have gone with to replace him.
Jethro always said he wanted someone with experience as the next coach. He was getting someone that has already been a head coach. But agree, lots of good NFL coordinators out there right now.
Smart choice by both sides. Jerruh gets a coach who has won in the league and McCarthy gets a playoff, if not Super Bowl, caliber team. I know they underachieved and lost out to the practice squad Eagles, but they have Dak and Zeke. Really need to have the defense play better.
Hoping this move will be really good for Dak and his development.
Jethro and his family attends the coaches meetings if that tells you anything............
*See Tennessee for blue print*
At least the Cowboys A)Didn't wait long B)Didn't hire Marvin
Appears Lewis was brought in to cover the Rooney Rule.

Heard on ESPN this morning that this was the first time in Brady's career that he has thrown a pick six in consecutive games. Interestingly, both were intercepted by former Patriot teammates.

I agree. I was more concerned, as an Eagle fan, if Dallas were to hire a defensive coach and went out and grabbed a young offensive coordinator to bring in a fresh look. Now, I see McCarthy as just another Jason Garrett and someone that is not a bad coach, but nothing special either. It will be interesting to see if he brings in an offensive coordinator to call plays.

Back