I agree. I was more concerned, as an Eagle fan, if Dallas were to hire a defensive coach and went out and grabbed a young offensive coordinator to bring in a fresh look. Now, I see McCarthy as just another Jason Garrett and someone that is not a bad coach, but nothing special either. It will be interesting to see if he brings in an offensive coordinator to call plays.

Even if they stayed with their current defensive scheme/coaching, I think a younger offensive mind would be better than McCarthy. I immediately think Brian Schottenheimer or even Josh McDaniels would have been a good fit given how the talent stacks up on the offense over McCarthy

I agree. I was more concerned, as an Eagle fan, if Dallas were to hire a defensive coach and went out and grabbed a young offensive coordinator to bring in a fresh look. Now, I see McCarthy as just another Jason Garrett and someone that is not a bad coach, but nothing special either. It will be interesting to see if he brings in an offensive coordinator to call plays.

Interesting point. Given the success of McVay, LaFleur and Shanahan in LA, GB and SF, one would think that hiring a young offensive coordinator is the way to go. But, as the long suffering Browns fans can attest, you have the Freddie Kitchens error to consider. Maybe the trend is shifting back to hiring coaches with established HC experience - Ron Rivera and McCarthy. And the Browns may go after McDaniels who is an OC but has been a HC, although not a successful one, in Denver.

So McCarthy goes to Dallas. I’d have liked him in. Levels d but I wasn’t totally sold. In my mind basically means it’s more than likely McDaniels (he’s from northeast Ohio) or Kevin Stefanski.

I’m guessing the Browns don’t wait around for another chip to fall. Once Matt Rhule decides to go to the NYG, I’d say they need to make their move.

My gut tells me it’s McDaniels and has been all along.
Or Garrett seeing he was raised in Cleveland. ?

Even if they stayed with their current defensive scheme/coaching, I think a younger offensive mind would be better than McCarthy. I immediately think Brian Schottenheimer or even Josh McDaniels would have been a good fit given how the talent stacks up on the offense over McCarthy
I don't think they plan to replace Kellen Moore, who is a young OC. Is that right or wrong, I don't know.

They definitely need to revamp their defense. The D Line is OK as is the LB's but the defensive backfield is awful.

I don't think they plan to replace Kellen Moore, who is a young OC. Is that right or wrong, I don't know.

They definitely need to revamp their defense. The D Line is OK as is the LB's but the defensive backfield is awful.

You have Dak and Zeke on offense and the OL is outstanding. Definitely need defensive improvement. And need to start in the secondary. For starters, Demarcus Lawrence had a disappointing season at DE. He got the big guarantee and his sack numbers declined. But don't know how much of that is attributable to poor secondary play.

I would think Moore is gone with McCarthy coming in.

You have Dak and Zeke on offense and the OL is outstanding. Definitely need defensive improvement. And need to start in the secondary. For starters, Demarcus Lawrence had a disappointing season at DE. He got the big guarantee and his sack numbers declined. But don't know how much of that is attributable to poor secondary play.
The season seemed to switch once Vander Esch got injured. But it could've been playing better teams also.

I would think Moore is gone with McCarthy coming in.
You would think, but Jerry really likes Moore and as we know Jerry really runs the show. :rolleyes:

At one time there was talk about promoting him to HC. Being in TX you probably hear more than I do in KY.

The season seemed to switch once Vander Esch got injured. But it could've been playing better teams also.

They still had a chance to win the division and a home playoff game. But they lost to Carson Wentz and the Replacements.

I'm not sure how McCarthy is another Garrett considering he made the playoffs in 9 of his 13 seasons with GB and has a SB ring. Garrett could only dream of that resume.

You would think, but Jerry really likes Moore and as we know Jerry really runs the show. :rolleyes:

At one time there was talk about promoting him to HC. Being in TX you probably hear more than I do in KY.

I'm in Katy (Houston) so any Cowboy talk is limited. My comments were based on what i've seen this year and how they might be able to get this going the right way.

I know (or have read) the Moore and Dak relationship is real, so he very well could stay if they decide to pay Dak.

I completely forgot the rule about Clowney being allowed to purposefully injure Eagles QBs. My bad for my posting yesterday. He’s allowed.

I'm in Katy (Houston) so any Cowboy talk is limited. My comments were based on what i've seen this year and how they might be able to get this going the right way.

I know (or have read) the Moore and Dak relationship is real, so he very well could stay if they decide to pay Dak.

Will be interesting to see if Kitna remains too, as I've heard he has had a strong hand in the development of Dak this year as well.

I completely forgot the rule about Clowney being allowed to purposefully injure Eagles QBs. My bad for my posting yesterday. He’s allowed.

How in the world was that one missed? QB with the ball thrown to the ground by his face ask by the biggest guy on the field...

As a Packers fan, I think Dallas made a good hire in McCarthy. He's a excellent football mind, but at the end of his tenure in GB things were getting stale and his relationships with both Aaron Rodgers and a front office led by a deteriorating Ted Thompson were going downhill. He's had the past year to self-scout, observe others, refresh and modify his systems. I think Dallas will see a reinvigorated and improved coach. I will be interested to see who he gets on his staff.

I'm not sure how McCarthy is another Garrett considering he made the playoffs in 9 of his 13 seasons with GB and has a SB ring. Garrett could only dream of that resume.
But all of that is with Farve and Rodgers as his QBs.

I just don't see McCarthy as a big upgrade today. To me, he is just a retread of an old coach. Which, frankly, I am thankful Dallas did this being an Eagles fan The same with Washington hiring Rivera. I don't see anything special about either hire for the NFC East.

But all of that is with Farve and Rodgers as his QBs.

I just don't see McCarthy as a big upgrade today. To me, he is just a retread of an old coach. Which, frankly, I am thankful Dallas did this being an Eagles fan The same with Washington hiring Rivera. I don't see anything special about either hire for the NFC East.

Every successful coach has super-stars on his team, very few, if any, coaches can take a bunch of scrubs to the Super Bowl. This is obviously an extreme, but that's like discounting Bill Belichick because he had Brady as his QB. If team success was only attributed to players there would be no reason to even talk about coaches.

I'm curious.....what coaches make your special list?

Everyone is complaining about the OT rules again after Vikings' win.

Why not just do a whole extra quarter for OT? Leader at the end wins? Is there reasons this wouldn't fly?
We can't event get people to agree to play the exact same amount of golf, just in differently arranged arbitrary intervals. There is no way we can convince enough people to change NFL overtime rules. :ROFLMAO:

I was hoping McCarthy would wind up in Charlotte!

We can't event get people to agree to play the exact same amount of golf, just in differently arranged arbitrary intervals. There is no way we can convince enough people to change NFL overtime rules. :ROFLMAO:

Changing the overtime rule would not be that easy. They would likely have to have the same rule for the regular season and the playoffs. And I don't think the league or players association would want to have 5 quarter or more, if the game is still tied after that extra 15 minutes, regular season games.

Why does one need to change the OT rules? If a team goes out there and rams the ball down your throat and scores a TD your team deserves to loose. It's not like you didn't already have 60 mins of a game to win. The "but we didn't get a chance to try and score too" is the biggest cry baby whine in football.

Getting rid of the coin flip FG was all that needed to be changed. College rules would never fly in the NFL. the players don't want it, and the owners would not pay enough to make them do it.

I'm curious.....what coaches make your special list?

I could not say with any information on whom the good offensive coordinators and young offensive minded coaches are. Whether they are in college or the pros currently.

However, I would have more concerned if Dallas hired a strong defensive minded coach from a strong contending team. Maybe even a college coach with proven wins and building a program.

As a fan from a completing team in the division the hires of McCarthy and Rivera do not seem like major upgrades. That might be proven wrong and McCarthy and/or Rivera might win multiple Super Bowls. I just don’t see it.

Off the top of my head, I can’t remember very many retread coaches that worked. Belichick and Reid are the only two that I can think of

And if I look at how many other fans and some reporters tweets and postings, they feel similar.
And if I look at how many other fans and some reporters tweets and postings, they feel similar.

Last edited:
This is pretty interesting.

067bc22bfbb9d5a3cf2c6be3b12851e6.jpg

Back