LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

[JEDI] This is not the picture you were meant to be in..... [/JEDI]

There is a ton of info we will be ready to share eventually and I think a lot of people will be pumped to hear it.
Whoa, new forum name coming at us!

Guys you’re doing a great job with the recaps so far. I’m enjoying reading them a lot. Keep them coming!

Day 2 Recap:

ECPC - Fitting Day

We hopped on the bus and was taken on a quick trip to ECPC to get fitted. I was feeling anxious like a kid on christmas morning.

IMG_1613.jpeg

IMG_1621.jpeg

IMG_1623.jpeg

We were met with Finley laying some ground rules right away, then it was off to the races. I was in the first putting group with Zbeekner, Tomcat, and Snickerdog. I was trying many different heads and it came down to the 10 and the double wide. I was the last person of the group to get fitted by Luke.

I decided I like the mallet more and quickly found most of my putts going left as you can see in the video below.

To fix that, Luke had me put the ball a bit more back in my stance for more square face at contact and the putt start rolling in, but I wasn’t feeling consistent enough. I wasn’t a fan of the stock round grip. It made me rotate too much and we went with a SS Traxon 2.0 pistol which squared me up pretty well. I finished with the new 10 putter at 33.75 all standard and I was making 6 putts in a row dead center. Perfect!

Now onto the main course - the irons, wedges, and woods fitting. My fitter was Jason, who did a fantastic job getting me dialed in.

jason.jpg

We started with the 2020 irons to warm up. Felt pretty good, then he had me try the apex pros and the numbers were a bit more in line of what we were looking for. I told him I started to game blades this year (srixon z-forged and Mizuno mb 20) and sure enough he brought out those beautiful samurai swords. Started with a 7 iron nippon modus 120x, which I’ve been gaming. Numbers were fantastic and they felt amazing. I asked if I should do a combo set with 7 being the cut off point or if 6 should be the cut off point before getting to the apex pros. Then he brought a 6 mb out and told me to hit it. I did, perfect numbers and excellent smash factor. He looked at the club face to see the hit marks and we saw my shots hitting dead center and agreed to do AW-6 in MB and 5-4 in apex pros.

Then we moved to the super hybrid and hybrids line. I told him I’m looking for a par 5 killer that would help me reach the green in 2 from 230-260 range. He wanted to make sure I was hitting the ball high enough to land softly. Super Hybrid achieved that. Most hybrids I’ve hit in the past has always gone left which I hated. But this one was impossible. Love it. Fitted into the GD AD IZ 85x.

Now onto the new 3 woods. Not much I can say here, but I had no issues with this line. Love the launch window it gave me. Got the Ventus Blue 7x in this bad boy.

Then came the new driver. Again, not much I can say. Love it when I connect one on the screws. Fitted into the Ventus Black 7x tipped 1 inch to play 44.5. Had a few carries past 300 yards and roll out to 325+

Then it was time to head up to the top floor to learn about Callaway and TM apparel. We were handed our new shoes as we arrived and I got the Legend, which are the spiked version. They were super light weight and very classic looking with a modern twist to it. Love the direction they were going into for the apparel and the technology they put into the shirts.
IMG_1631.jpeg

And just like that, the fitting was over. Time had flew by so fast. I hopped on the bus with a sigh of relief that my swing was good for it. Then it was off back to the HQ for lunch and R&D session.

The R&D was very engaging and eye opening. I was amazed to hear from all the guys in that room. It was fantastic to hear info straight from the sources and they answer a lot of our questions with great enthusiasm and passion. Then it was time for a tour of their R&D facility. Not much I can say, but just wow. As a golf nerd, this was probably one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Al’s House

After that - it was time to get on the bus and head to Al’s house! We had such a fun time chatting with everyone and taking in the beautiful sights of the desert on the way in.

IMG_1637.jpeg

We checked into the hotel, changed real quick into our christmas shirts and Grandaddy cardigans and we were off to Al’s House.
IMG_1648.jpeg

I wasn’t sure what to expect from Al. Sure we heard it in past threads, but it is just different when you experience it in person. Al was waiting at the front door and welcomed every single one of us into his amazing home. Al and Shelly were fantastic hosts and I greatly appreciate their hospitality and opening their home to us. The italian food was just amazing!

IMG_1652.jpeg

Before we started the pairings, Finley was talking to kick it off but not before he had to share a very important news, which is that The Grandaddy will be coming back next year. We all were in disbelief and exciting for THP community. I am so excited for the 2020 group.

The night at Al’s flew by fast and it was time to head back to the hotel. I took one last look at his house hopped on the bus in excitement for what’s to come the next day. I get to battle Tony and Dnevs with @clarkgriswold

When we got back at the hotel, we all hung out in the lobby for a bit to chat and have a few beers. What was awesome is @DNevsCG took a picture of my Santa Jaws shirt and sent it to Roger Cleveland and he responded back with a message that made my night. He loved it and was rooting for our team :) I wish I had a screenshot/pic of that response.

IMG_1658.jpeg

IMG_1657.jpeg

Of course, gotta see what it is like to hold the belt!

IMG_1659.jpeg

Day 3 Recap will come Wednesday as I will be traveling for work tomorrow. Thank you!

^^ that photo was somewhere in between @TonyToulon and I talking about our shared interest in Tom Petty and the heartbreakers and him explaining to me that he was about to whip our butts in the match the following day barefoot.

Awesome Santa Jaws shirt @NoShanks, and those G cardigans and themed shirts were genius! I thought it was killer to see you fitted into Apex MB, that is awesome. And 300+ are some bombs :oops:

I've been on a similar iron journey, I played Apex MB this year and thought they were fantastic. I'll be following your thoughts on the Superhybrid and new woods - thanks for the great updates.

Day 2 Recap:

ECPC - Fitting Day

We hopped on the bus and was taken on a quick trip to ECPC to get fitted. I was feeling anxious like a kid on christmas morning.

View attachment 8918304

View attachment 8918305

View attachment 8918306

We were met with Finley laying some ground rules right away, then it was off to the races. I was in the first putting group with Zbeekner, Tomcat, and Snickerdog. I was trying many different heads and it came down to the 10 and the double wide. I was the last person of the group to get fitted by Luke.

I decided I like the mallet more and quickly found most of my putts going left as you can see in the video below.

To fix that, Luke had me put the ball a bit more back in my stance for more square face at contact and the putt start rolling in, but I wasn’t feeling consistent enough. I wasn’t a fan of the stock round grip. It made me rotate too much and we went with a SS Traxon 2.0 pistol which squared me up pretty well. I finished with the new 10 putter at 33.75 all standard and I was making 6 putts in a row dead center. Perfect!

Now onto the main course - the irons, wedges, and woods fitting. My fitter was Jason, who did a fantastic job getting me dialed in.

View attachment 8918307

We started with the 2020 irons to warm up. Felt pretty good, then he had me try the apex pros and the numbers were a bit more in line of what we were looking for. I told him I started to game blades this year (srixon z-forged and Mizuno mb 20) and sure enough he brought out those beautiful samurai swords. Started with a 7 iron nippon modus 120x, which I’ve been gaming. Numbers were fantastic and they felt amazing. I asked if I should do a combo set with 7 being the cut off point or if 6 should be the cut off point before getting to the apex pros. Then he brought a 6 mb out and told me to hit it. I did, perfect numbers and excellent smash factor. He looked at the club face to see the hit marks and we saw my shots hitting dead center and agreed to do AW-6 in MB and 5-4 in apex pros.

Then we moved to the super hybrid and hybrids line. I told him I’m looking for a par 5 killer that would help me reach the green in 2 from 230-260 range. He wanted to make sure I was hitting the ball high enough to land softly. Super Hybrid achieved that. Most hybrids I’ve hit in the past has always gone left which I hated. But this one was impossible. Love it. Fitted into the GD AD IZ 85x.

Now onto the new 3 woods. Not much I can say here, but I had no issues with this line. Love the launch window it gave me. Got the Ventus Blue 7x in this bad boy.

Then came the new driver. Again, not much I can say. Love it when I connect one on the screws. Fitted into the Ventus Black 7x tipped 1 inch to play 44.5. Had a few carries past 300 yards and roll out to 325+

Then it was time to head up to the top floor to learn about Callaway and TM apparel. We were handed our new shoes as we arrived and I got the Legend, which are the spiked version. They were super light weight and very classic looking with a modern twist to it. Love the direction they were going into for the apparel and the technology they put into the shirts.
View attachment 8918308

And just like that, the fitting was over. Time had flew by so fast. I hopped on the bus with a sigh of relief that my swing was good for it. Then it was off back to the HQ for lunch and R&D session.

The R&D was very engaging and eye opening. I was amazed to hear from all the guys in that room. It was fantastic to hear info straight from the sources and they answer a lot of our questions with great enthusiasm and passion. Then it was time for a tour of their R&D facility. Not much I can say, but just wow. As a golf nerd, this was probably one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Al’s House

After that - it was time to get on the bus and head to Al’s house! We had such a fun time chatting with everyone and taking in the beautiful sights of the desert on the way in.

View attachment 8918309

We checked into the hotel, changed real quick into our christmas shirts and Grandaddy cardigans and we were off to Al’s House.
View attachment 8918310

I wasn’t sure what to expect from Al. Sure we heard it in past threads, but it is just different when you experience it in person. Al was waiting at the front door and welcomed every single one of us into his amazing home. Al and Shelly were fantastic hosts and I greatly appreciate their hospitality and opening their home to us. The italian food was just amazing!

View attachment 8918311

Before we started the pairings, Finley was talking to kick it off but not before he had to share a very important news, which is that The Grandaddy will be coming back next year. We all were in disbelief and exciting for THP community. I am so excited for the 2020 group.

The night at Al’s flew by fast and it was time to head back to the hotel. I took one last look at his house hopped on the bus in excitement for what’s to come the next day. I get to battle Tony and Dnevs with @clarkgriswold

When we got back at the hotel, we all hung out in the lobby for a bit to chat and have a few beers. What was awesome is @DNevsCG took a picture of my Santa Jaws shirt and sent it to Roger Cleveland and he responded back with a message that made my night. He loved it and was rooting for our team :) I wish I had a screenshot/pic of that response.

View attachment 8918314

View attachment 8918312

Of course, gotta see what it is like to hold the belt!

View attachment 8918313

Day 3 Recap will come Wednesday as I will be traveling for work tomorrow. Thank you!

You could not have found a better shirt, my man--so good!

Was the fitter confused why you were with us and not the Euro pros? :LOL:

Alright. Picking up where we left off. When we last met, Team Grandaddy and Team ZooCrew were on a bus making their way to the desert.

We arrived at the hotel and didn’t have much time to get showered up and ready to go to Al’s house. I managed to get a quick shower and get to the lobby with a few minutes to spare. We loaded up on the bus and as you are all aware, there was a home alone type head count situation where one of our teammates (I won’t name any names) was unaccounted for. I was not even aware until we were just about to Al’s. But, he jumped in an Uber and was probably there right about the same time we were.

1575944115437.png

It was dark out. But, just as Al said in his podcast. He had tiki torches set up and you knew exactly what house was his. And when I say house. What I mean is an absolutely beautiful home. You have seen the pictures. This place is beautiful. And, Al and his wife couldn’t be more gracious hosts.

1575944177032.png

The setting was beautiful. The food was an amazing spread of Italian food. I am such a sucker for food pics in the event threads and I cannot believe I didn’t take any here. Ugh. I am sorry, because it was amazing. But seriously, this place is gorgeous. I didn't take this pic, it was in the event gallery, but it is a great view of his back yard.

1575944235537.png

@McLovin did his best to school me in the art of wine drinking. I opted for a Stella instead. We ate, laughed, enjoyed the beautiful atmosphere.

Al gave a wonderful speech about the event and what it means to him. This man cares for the event and it shows. Him and the other hosts love The Grandaddy. They open their small slice of heaven up to regular internet golf nerds like us. I never really fully understood why until now. The connections, the comradery, the atmosphere that Callaway brings is special. They see that and want to be part of it as much as any one of us do.

I think I caught most of Al’s speech and it can be watched here. (I kept my phone in portrait mode do be as discrete as I could).

By now, you've likely seen @JasonFinleyCG announce the amazing news that the Grandaddy lives on into 2020.

We hung out a little while longer and just enjoyed the company. But, all good things must come to an end. It was time to get back to the hotel and get ready for the next day.

So, we were back at the hotel. Hanging out in the lobby. Most of us weren’t quite ready to turn in. We had a few options. @Luke WilliamsCG said we could drink the hotel lobby out of beer as he made a count of their inventory. The other suggestion was to go next door to Applebee’s. A scouting mission was made and it was determined that Applebee’s wasn’t going to cut it.

But, we did get to spend a little time with the belt.

1575944997573.png
1575945036771.png
1575945075467.png
1575945114110.png

Attachments

• 1575943999993.png
    1575943999993.png
    390.6 KB · Views: 9
That’s when Luke’s genius came into play. I don’t remember his exact words, so forgive me for paraphrasing. But, they went something like this. “I am just throwing this out there, and maybe you guys aren’t interested. I know we are going to The Nest tomorrow. But, what if we went tonight on a scouting mission?”

There was some immediate takers on the idea. There was some discussion against it. It was sounding like it wasn’t going to happen. I was fine with that. I was tired and ready for bed. I told myself, I was going to bed regardless of what everyone else was going to do. So, I figured I would sit in the lobby with these guys a little while longer before I turn in. Before I knew it, @Luke WilliamsCG , Browning, @McLovin , @j_sizzle9 , @mikeg_74 , @bigskyirish were walking out the door. I don’t remember who convinced me to go. So, I will just say it was @bigskyirish. I am pretty sure that conversation went something like this.

BigSky: Are you coming?

Radiman: No, I am just going to bed.

BigSky: Come on…

Radiman: Ok

Before I knew it, @bigskyirish , @Luke WilliamsCG , Matt Browning and I were in an Uber on our way to The Nest with , @McLovin , @mikeg_74 , and @j_sizzle9 shortly behind us.

We get to The Nest and the first thing we see is a younger guy with two young ladies with him. Luke gets out of the car, puts his hand on the guy’s shoulder and says, “congratulations man, good job.”

That pretty much set the tone. A quick stop at the door, a check of the ID’s, and we were in. It was everything I dreamed it would be and everything I feared all wrapped into one. I am pretty sure that if @bigskyirish and I weren’t there, Luke would have been the youngest person there.

1575945639740.png

The place was so much smaller than I thought it would be. There was some sort of “live music” and by that I mean there was a guy banging on a keyboard and another guy screaming into the mic while the dance floor was hopping.

There were some Coors Lights purchased and some Fireball shots consumed. Not long after that, @mikeg_74 , @McLovin , @j_sizzle9 , were there with us. There was more Coors Lights, more Fireball, and more middle aged bumping and grinding going on all around us.

1575945763591.png

giphy4228076160489058712.gif

50631bc4-1580-470d-b987-d6f4a0662f7e.gif
I don’t remember exactly how long we were there. But, we had enough for the scouting mission and declared it to be a success. Time to go back to the hotel.

20191203_235625.jpg

20191203_231732.jpg

In the Uber back, we learned of Luke’s love of Michael Jackson and saw a picture of him with a full luscious head of hair.

That was a long day with a lot of ground covered! Tomorrow, we’re at the Hideaway!

You could not have found a better shirt, my man--so good!

Was the fitter confused why you were with us and not the Euro pros? :LOL:

haha! when I was hitting during my fitting, at one point I looked behind me and saw like 4-5 guys watching me. Not sure who they were but that made me nervous. :ROFLMAO:

Great job on the recaps everyone, these are awesome!

Got to give you all props for the pre-nest--- That's a brilliant idea!!!

Man, I didn't take enough pictures. Also, now that I am going through the ones I do have vs. everyone else's, I am noticing that the iPhone camera is far superior to my old S8.

57C3D840-94CC-4F79-8B8B-05FB2E13EEF6.gif
Such a bad dancer but soooo much fun!

Back