LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 Ultimate Weekend of Golf with True Temper

What a great weekend. Big thanks to @JB and @GolferGal for all they do.

I'm going to gather my thoughts, and get through this first day back at work, then download my thoughts here later tonight.

As is tradition, everyone I met were good people, and wouldn't hesitate to host if anyone is ever in the Annapolis area.

Standby for the novel to come. :p

Gawd I bet those Clevelands are tits

I can tell you that those Clevelands are fantastic with those Elevates. and looooooonnggggg. If they were there when i picked, it would have been a no-brainer. My TatylorMade 790's will have the Elevate shafts with VSS in them by the end of the week

Post event hangover is hitting hard. Fun in the sun with a great group of guys is over and this is my outlook for the rest of the week....
fcf73152c027b6af4ba1a9d238a8c2b0.jpg

Finally leaving JAX. Sad to leave sun to return to the snow. Hope to get my new Honma's out soon.
MVIMG_20191028_113537.jpg

Finally leaving JAX. Sad to leave sun to return to the snow. Hope to get my new Honma's out soon.
View attachment 8912705
Safe travels once you get home. Waiting for second flight here at home as first flight out was cancelled. Hope to get to see them in action soon.

Glad @Stemmy66 got to take these home. We both played them Saturday and I tried so hard to love them. They look great, fly great but I just wasn't clicking with them. Scott hit them better and now is the proud new owner.
d2c6d2c04630ea36c86d507b6fa42cae.jpg
99c1c6daa3162a2f8c59712407a6d0a8.jpg

I can’t wait to get these beauties out again! Was hoping to sneak out and play later this week, but my calendar just changed. Weekend warrior will be the soonest

Last edited:
Did I miss it or did the T-rails go undrafted? Any feedback from those who hit them?

They did which was quite unfortunate, they were very very solid. I hope THPers don't sleep on those.

I'm already ? on :TrueTemper: Elevate Shafts which were in the T Rails

Aside from the Turbo HB Launchers being absolute point and shoot weapons - I think it took me until 6 or 7 before I missed my first GIR (hole 4 doesn't count since my 220 yard approach shot with the 4i found the water, my career greens hit from that distance including fairway metals is under 3)

The AMT Red Shaft, which I thought might not be enough shaft for me (was really looking forward to getting the AMT black in hands pre event) was OUTSTANDING kudos to @Canadan for that pairing.

Really want to see what I can do with that combo go forward.

@Canadan that is interesting that the p790’s went last & could have been the lowest ranked hollow body there. I will definitely check out the Cobra’s when they hit the shelves. I didn’t really care for the looks when the first pics showed up but the one that I think @JB posted during the event totally won me over. I am looking for a new set & will give these a shot this winter. I like all the no charge custom shaft options on their website. Just curious if the the amt black pvd option is the same black shafts that we’re at the event? Is that the same finish as the black elevates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of answers for you.

AMT has three shafts White Black and Red and it's based on less weight in the longer irons for all three - all three come in the black pvd finish option (not sure if they are no up-charge and which OEMs stock them)

Visually, the TM P790 was one of the best looking irons out of the bunch.

I hit them on the range and hit them on course Sunday - the feel was more harsh on the range - on course, distance off the tee was great, no issues, some distance issues on approach shots, was about 1/2 club short, no flyers. My job to adjust for distance though.

I made a crack to someone on Sunday, when we were discussing the P790s and the stock shaft - DG105 with VSS that with the feel of the face, no wonder they wanted to put the VSS in there since the heads are so harsh :LOL:

they aren’t as scary as they look

I'd be scared playing you in Match Play with those as your gamers

giles is the silent assassin folks, let's his game do the talking for him, and his drinks and food.

If you take him to 18 you have a chance though :LOL::ROFLMAO::p:alien:

Stemmy is overrated.

Clap.
Clap.
ClapClapClap.

Your brother told me the story about how you got your nickname. Legend.

They did which was quite unfortunate, they were very very solid. I hope THPers don't sleep on those.

I'm already ? on :TrueTemper: Elevate Shafts which were in the T Rails

Aside from the Turbo HB Launchers being absolute point and shoot weapons - I think it took me until 6 or 7 before I missed my first GIR (hole 4 doesn't count since my 220 yard approach shot with the 4i found the water, my career greens hit from that distance including fairway metals is under 3)

The AMT Red Shaft, which I thought might not be enough shaft for me (was really looking forward to getting the AMT black in hands pre event) was OUTSTANDING kudos to @Canadan for that pairing.

Really want to see what I can do with that combo go forward.

Couple of answers for you.

AMT has three shafts White Black and Red and it's based on less weight in the longer irons for all three - all three come in the black pvd finish option (not sure if they are no up-charge and which OEMs stock them)

Visually, the TM P790 was one of the best looking irons out of the bunch.

I hit them on the range and hit them on course Sunday - the feel was more harsh on the range - on course, distance off the tee was great, no issues, some distance issues on approach shots, was about 1/2 club short, no flyers. My job to adjust for distance though.

I made a crack to someone on Sunday, when we were discussing the P790s and the stock shaft - DG105 with VSS that with the feel of the face, no wonder they wanted to put the VSS in there since the heads are so harsh :LOL:

giles is the silent assassin folks, let's his game do the talking for him, and his drinks and food.

Your brother told me the story about how you got your nickname. Legend.
I forgot to tell you it was part of a double feature.....
Cover me Porkins!

Nothing like finishing an event with a 4 putt on the 18th green with JB talking trash in the background. I don't know if I will ever forget him telling me, "looks like you need a more forgiving putter". It will haunt me.

Just went through the entire thread after being tied up Gethering all weekend. What a phenomenal event! The swag, iron heads, shafts, knowledge bombs, food, drinks, etc., etc. were all out of this world. Great job with updates and pics by all and enjoy your shiny new awesome sticks!

Just went through the entire thread after being tied up Gethering all weekend. What a phenomenal event! The swag, iron heads, shafts, knowledge bombs, food, drinks, etc., etc. were all out of this world. Great job with updates and pics by all and enjoy your shiny new awesome sticks!

WTF Scott, no commenting on the scripting? ?

Last year it was too tame for you, tried to wild out and give the people what they wanted. ;) :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Nothing like finishing an event with a 4 putt on the 18th green with JB talking trash in the background. I don't know if I will ever forget him telling me, "looks like you need a more forgiving putter". It will haunt me.

? I had a similar THP event putting experience. I had a 4-putt on the last hole in front of jb. I can still hear his “feedback.” Ended up being good motivation. JB won’t remember or care, but someday I’m going show off my putting prowess at another event, even if that means 3 putt instead of 4 jack. Progress baby! ?

Last edited:
Sad thing is that I putted great all weekend. Just not on 18.

I couldn't look away on that green. I wanted to, but couldn't.

It was a tough pin if you missed long like I did.

WTF Scott, no commenting on the scripting? ?

Last year it was too tame for you, tried to wild out and give the people what they wanted. ;) :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I did see it and thought once again it was tamer, albeit quite sharp, than the old Alex I had grown to love and shield my eyes when in the presence of his greatness.

Wheres that Seve GIF? "how did you 4 putt that hole Seve?" I mees, I mees, I mees, I make.....

Finally got caught up on all the amazing action in here, well done fellas.

Lamkin TS1 grip thoughts. I definitely failed in that I didn't take many pictures of the grips in their own right. I can rectify that since I have a set at home now lol.

A little bit about these grips from Lamkin:

A distinctive high-performance golf grip, the new TS1 is made with the ground-breaking new GENESIS compound and features FINGERPRINT TECHNOLOGY micro-textures for unmatched feel and responsiveness. A reduced-taper shape reduces excess grip tension for a more fluid swing. The Tour-inspired TS1 is exceptionally durable and maintains a consistent feel in all weather conditions.
These are on the irons that I picked, Cleveland HB Launcher Turbos they were also on the Cleveland UHX irons as well.

I think the best compliment you can give a grip is that you didn't know it was there. I had no discomfort when I gripped the clubs with these on there. They were comfortable yet not penal in that mishits were felt, however not painful.

As advertised they were fantastic in both the humid conditions of the Florida coast, but they really performed when the weather went south and were dealing with high wind and rain. When I played with one glove I had no concerns about slippage and when I put my rain gloves on there was never a doubt in my mind I could still make swings.

No performance changes between the wet and dry conditions really.

I didn't put much thought into the graphics for hand placement, they didn't bother me nor did I fret about alignment (maybe I should have with the UHX lol) definitely was not an issue Sunday with the Turbos.

They also look badass with the Red Black color scheme and the Red Black color scheme of the :TrueTemper: AMT Red Shaft that is in there.

CLEVELAND UHX IRONS

Shafts: :TrueTemper: Elevate

Grip: Lamkin TS1

Makeup: 4-PW

I spent some time with these on the range on Saturday and I also spent a good amount of time on Saturday.

I really really really wanted to love these irons with :TrueTemper: Elevates in them.

I had seen @Scarnici hit some really great shots the past couple of weeks and the looks and sound are fantabulous.

Was fine on the range hitting some great mid to mid high shots throughout the bag.

Entire 18 these were great off the tee. Higher flight and comparable distance to F9 irons. Cleveland nailed it with the sound, I'd put these up there thru 4i-6i with the other great HB styled ones.

I started to struggle on the back with these off the deck, specifically turf interaction and losing shots right. I would want to get these checked for me and see if it's a sole issue with my swing.

Highly recommend these for anyone in that category. If you're a fan of the CBX wedge, these would make a fantastic full bag.

Enjoyed the Lamkin TS1 grips on these as well. Especially when the conditions got really wet and we needed that extra grip help.

2EA74884-D028-422F-A115-D95BD9F315B1.jpeg45A2EB97-26E8-430E-9BA1-24CB07D2096E.jpeg

@OITW can you expand on the sole design, and how you think it may have affected impact? might also help to know more about your delivery (steep or sweeper, lag or cast, etc).

@OITW can you expand on the sole design, and how you think it may have affected impact? might also help to know more about your delivery (steep or sweeper, lag or cast, etc).

i’d have to find a sole pic from earlier in the thread. It’s a wider one though.

i generally am pretty steep on my delivery and get a good pivot and lot of power through base and hands and wrists if that makes sense

i’d have to find a sole pic from earlier in the thread. It’s a wider one though.

i generally am pretty steep on my delivery and get a good pivot and lot of power through base and hands and wrists if that makes sense

do you tend to get along better with wider sole irons, or thinner sole irons? i'm just wondering if there is something specific to the uhx sole design that you didn't get along with, or whether it's a general design that doesn't suit you. good thoughts!

Back