2019 Waste Management Phoenix Open

Some year, I shall go.

Some year, I shall go.

This. I love it. I don't think we should start having a WMPO #16 at every tournament, but it makes this one unique and fun. Funny thing tho, some friends and I are leaving the deep freeze that is WI later this week and heading out there, but we are just going to stay in the west valley and play a little golf. Not planning to head over by Scottsdale.

Outside of the Ryder Cup, I don't think there will be the same atmosphere as the 16th at the WMPO at any other event in the regular schedule

I wouldn't like to see it every weekend at every course, but for one hole at this event I am fine with it

As for the caddie races, in this day and age I am not surprised it was stopped due to the potential for an injury (and possible subsequent litigation)

One of my favorite events of the year. Fun course and 16 is special. I don’t think it would work at most events, but there’s aspects of this event that wouldn’t hurt anyone to try some other places. Especially the stadium at 16, lots of noise and crowd excitement is cool.

I think the 16th hole spectator behavior at Phoenix is disrespectful to the game of golf.
That said, some of the players seem to enjoy playing a hole with a "stadium-like-loud-atmosphere", so for them I guess it's a good thing.

I think it's great! When I lived in Phoenix, I went to the 16th hole many times over the years, both before and after it was set up as a stadium. Other than a few strippers baring their breasts one year (lol - not that there's anything wrong with that kind of thing; it just wasn't the appropriate venue), it was always just good raucous fun - especially when the players got into it!

I like the hole and the crowd. I would love to attend the event someday.

I like it, just for this one hole. It's unique and it seems the players have fun with it.

Team GU will be heading down to the Open for the first time, kind of a bucket list thing. Excited to play some golf, watch some golf, and drink one or two beers.

I'll be sure to pack my CBD oil.

The hole is great. The tournament crowd is a freaking joke.

I like it, just for this one hole. It's unique and it seems the players have fun with it.

Same. I do wish caddie races were still a thing.

Team GU will be heading down to the Open for the first time, kind of a bucket list thing. Excited to play some golf, watch some golf, and drink one or two beers.

I'll be sure to pack my CBD oil.

Nice.

I absolutely love this event and look forward to it every year. The 16th is so much fun to watch but I think it can only work at this event. If anyone else tried to copy it the luster would wear off pretty quickly.

I absolutely love this event and look forward to it every year. The 16th is so much fun to watch but I think it can only work at this event. If anyone else tried to copy it the luster would wear off pretty quickly.

I agree with this as well, I think it needs to stay just a WMO thing, and thats why I love it.

16th hole Phoenix Open:

sixteenth hole.jpg

Forgot to mention this before, but another aspect that I like about this tournament is because of social media being more popular each year, you can experience more posts/videos, and even a "360 cam" of the hole. Gives us some more up close access and a different vantage point. Other tournaments experience this as well, but I feel like the WMO gets more attention due to the 16th.

One example that comes to mind is a video I remember seeing of someone only a few steps behind Rickie filming his walk from the 15th green to the 16th tee box, showing him walk along the cart path, then underneath the stadium seating. You could slowly hear the crowd noise build. I'm getting fired up just thinking about it!

Every single thing about the WMO, the crowd, the sponsors, the 16th hole is great for the game of golf going forward.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Love watching this tournament. The field looks kind of weak this year. We do have Fowler and Phil.

I read that Team Titleist players will have their caddies using carry bags this week. I think that’s a nice touch.

Love this

Love this

I saw that yesterday, well done indeed.

I have been to the Waste Management at least 4 times and have seen the show every time on the par three it really is something to see but some people are pure asshats these guys know the players wives, kids and pets names of all the players and say some very awful things about all of them to the players. The rest of the course is usually quite subdued during the tournament except for all the food and beverage tents they are a spectacle in itself. I think everyone should see it once in there lifetime is it good for the game ? Only in Scottsdale I would think I don’t think anywhere else would put up with it. I do think that the money that is made for the charities in this event are grateful though I will return again someday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who takes it this year boys? Mats, Rahm? Phil? Woodland repeat? Other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loved the Gary Woodland / Amy video. Players can do more for fans and some know how to make sure that young kids and the future of the game stay in love with golf. Gary Woodland went the extra yard and showed his class, hats off to him. Kuch has always been a good guy, but Woodland I did not know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG6uVpaLKc4

Beef has previous , as do others , for helping kids.

Back