2020 Better You Fitness Thread

I just started doing the StrongLifts 5*5. How has it worked for you?

It’s worked pretty well for me. I don’t quite do the style and format of StrongLifts, I’ll vary the sets and exercises randomly but have enjoyed changing it up. Sometimes I’ll go to either 4*6 or even 5-5-3-3-1-1-1 if I want to test a weight. I’m sure a more structured program will help better, the first couple jumps in weight are fun to watch with any program you start!

Just spent a few hours running and playing with the kids outside. I'm worn out but it feels great!

No back spasms today. Yay!!!!

Been keeping up with push ups and yoga. Today is more of the same. Starting to move beyond just beginner yoga and I'm feeling muscles stretch that I didnt know existed before.

@Andrew808 how's your 2020 fitness plan working out? Hopefully your back pain has stayed away and you've been able to expand on what you started!
Back pain is gone, thanks for asking! Steady diet of yoga, chiro and not overdoing it at the golf range has cleared it up. I’m trying to stay up with fitness, but work has been really stressful lately so I’ve been remiss in doing my morning yoga and meditation, and also missing some cardio workouts

Thanks for the reminder though, I’m going to set my alarm 15 minutes early to make sure I get this in, it really does seem to help a lot!

Big 2 out of 3 days to kick start the month before the big event, but took last night off to not waste the ability to have a free baby sitter offer. Got back at it nicely tonight though

Walking 18 tomorrow.. Let's continue this trend

Just to share this, it's completely possible to golf the day after (relatively) heavy squats and deadlifts.

Just to share this, it's completely possible to golf the day after (relatively) heavy squats and deadlifts.
But was the quality of golf good? I've struggled when playing after intense workouts

No back spasms today. Yay!!!!

That’s a good day!! I’ve know those days and man do they suck.

As long as there are no stairs involved.....?

I just started doing squats, and just the quantity of squats between warm up and work sets has me struggling and I haven’t even done anything very heavy yet, it’s all fine though until I have to go down stairs.

Yesterday was a rest day So I took the dogs on a mile and a half walk to close my rings, and this morning is a much needed yoga session to kick the day off right.

Back pain is gone, thanks for asking! Steady diet of yoga, chiro and not overdoing it at the golf range has cleared it up. I’m trying to stay up with fitness, but work has been really stressful lately so I’ve been remiss in doing my morning yoga and meditation, and also missing some cardio workouts

Thanks for the reminder though, I’m going to set my alarm 15 minutes early to make sure I get this in, it really does seem to help a lot!
Glad to hear your back pain is gone! Good luck adding some yoga, meditation and/or cardio back in! You can do it, little steps at a time!

Big 2 out of 3 days to kick start the month before the big event, but took last night off to not waste the ability to have a free baby sitter offer. Got back at it nicely tonight though
The free baby sitter is a rarity, so glad you took advantage! Seems like you're in the right frame of mind to push to the event.

Stretch day to, but seeing as though the weather will be sunny and 50°, I think I'll take the hound for a walk.

We share gummy bears at the gym. Fat free simple carbs. Good snack when low on energy.
Always in my gym bag. Post workout.

My mother-in-law is battling a rare and aggressive cancer that has brought us back to Houston. She spent most of the last week in the hospital with a bad infection caused by her immunotherapy treatment.

Visiting that hospital every day has scared us STRAIGHT! My wife and I are done talking and are now taking active measures to get back into shape. She's on the Nutrisystem and I'm eating healthy again. We're adding walks and will start back to the gym again on Monday. The past 3 years living in Costa Rica, Europe and (mostly) Mexico has taken its toll!

I think we're serious this time... lol

Good luck everybody!

Sorry to hear about your MIL, that’s a tough break.

But you are not kidding- being in a hospital is a real wake up call to get serious about being healthy. I just got home from my first ever hospitalization/surgery and I want to make sure that’s the last time!

In the gym. Back and biceps. Keeping reps at 15. Not going heavy.

I just started doing squats, and just the quantity of squats between warm up and work sets has me struggling and I haven’t even done anything very heavy yet, it’s all fine though until I have to go down stairs.
How many squats are you doing?

And yeah, stairs can be tough when suffering from DOMs. But the DOMs should go away. Especially if you're doing your part with recovery. Make sure you're getting enough protein.

Sorry to hear about your MIL, that’s a tough break.

But you are not kidding- being in a hospital is a real wake up call to get serious about being healthy. I just got home from my first ever hospitalization/surgery and I want to make sure that’s the last time!
How you feeling?

Walked / jogged 18 on a hilly course and it felt great. Can't believe we had a 60 degree day in Virginia in February

Dog walk for 30 minutes and then gym for weight training and stretching.

Walked / jogged 18 on a hilly course and it felt great. Can't believe we had a 60 degree day in Virginia in February
We had a 50 degree day here in Ohio, but couldnt get out on the course. That's alright, though, still a good day of push ups, chasing the kids around, and soon, yoga.

Back