GolfLivesMatter

Reaction score
Handicap
Is anyone thinking about switching out their older Vette for a 2020? I had a chance for a quick test drive and wow is it fast, and the computer wouldn't let me use all the horsepower because it is set for a 500 mile break-in period. Some of the markup's are insane. But for $83k I have not seen or driven a better sports car.

I will be in Pahrump NV at the Ron Fellow's school of driving next week. Taking this beast around the track. I'm pretty excited. Gonna visit the Bunny Ranch too... J/K

Is anyone thinking about switching out their older Vette for a 2020? I had a chance for a quick test drive and wow is it fast, and the computer wouldn't let me use all the horsepower because it is set for a 500 mile break-in period. Some of the markup's are insane. But for $83k I have not seen or driven a better sports car.
Yep. In about 5 years when the house its paid for, I want to snag a lightly used one. I will probably avoid the 2020 and go for 2021/22. Never buy the first year of anything lol. I see the C8 on there road here quite a bit with the factory in the next town. My interest is peaked!

Yep. In about 5 years when the house its paid for, I want to snag a lightly used one. I will probably avoid the 2020 and go for 2021/22. Never buy the first year of anything lol. I see the C8 on there road here quite a bit with the factory in the next town. My interest is peaked!

I could easily see myself in a used one in 3 years when my youngest is off to college.

From everything I can determine from my son who is intimate to classic cars thru his job. A purchase of a 2020 Vette if not abused and driven very lightly will appreciate. He is Sales Mgr of "Chasing Classic Cars" TV show. I have had a number of nice cars, mostly foreign and older....This 20 Vette is a buy.

Technologically this car is amazing but I feel its moving to far away from what a corvette is supposed to be. Now its just an entry level mid engine sports car.

That computer limiting feature through the break in period is a cool feature so the car escapes possible damage.

Just bought a Tesla Model 3 Performance and I am not totally thrilled with the handling, so ya, in a couple of years.

My old man was talking about trading his GTR for one. I hope he does.

From everything I can determine from my son who is intimate to classic cars thru his job. A purchase of a 2020 Vette if not abused and driven very lightly will appreciate. He is Sales Mgr of "Chasing Classic Cars" TV show. I have had a number of nice cars, mostly foreign and older....This 20 Vette is a buy.
I would be very surprised if it appreciates, although I've been wrong before. Corvettes outside the first gen or rarities typically do. Most of the time, Corvette prices tend to drop when the next gen arrives. It will be interesting to see if the new frame architecture lends itself to a different outcome.

I would be very surprised if it appreciates, although I've been wrong before. Corvettes outside the first gen or rarities typically do. Most of the time, Corvette prices tend to drop when the next gen arrives. It will be interesting to see if the new frame architecture lends itself to a different outcome.
This car is different. It is a first. And you probably can't buy for sticker unless you are somebody special to the dealer. I know a few who jumped in expecting results like the first generation Ford GT revival. Go to eBay. That's always a good litmus test.

This car is different. It is a first. And you probably can't buy for sticker unless you are somebody special to the dealer. I know a few who jumped in expecting results like the first generation Ford GT revival. Go to eBay. That's always a good litmus test.
A first for corvette. A dead last 60 years behind the rest of the market.

it looks like they’re going to make 40,000 of these for the first year and they made a total of 4000 Ford GT‘s with only 550 the first year. Additionally they are only making 1350 of the new Ford GT‘s which makes this comparison a little lopsided.

it looks like they’re going to make 40,000 of these for the first year and they made a total of 4000 Ford GT‘s with only 550 the first year. Additionally they are only making 1350 of the new Ford GT‘s which makes this comparison a little lopsided.
What's the price point of a new Ford GT? And what's the Vette's? That is where the possible appreciation comes from.

This 2020 Vette is in a tier of competitiveness of 911 Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren…..it's less than half their cost. That's a better comparison.

This 2020 Vette is in a tier of competitiveness of 911 Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren…..it's less than half their cost. That's a better comparison.
Let's be reasonable. 911 maybe, and it's not less than half the cost. A 911 starts around 80k, and highly regarded as one of the best cars on the road. Corvette, as much as enthusiasts may want to claim, is not on par with the likes of Ferrari or McLaren. The only comparison you can make to Ferrari is that Corvette has copied their styling cues for half a century.

There's honestly no reason that Corvette can't be compared to a Ferrari or McLaren IF it was made like the aforementioned or Ford GT: small quantities, hand craftsmanship, and quality construction. Instead it's a mass produced, corner cutting, mid-tier sports car. I would like it so much more if GM didn't give it to the bean counters before taking it to market.

A mid engine Corvette is comparable to Lotus Evora, Nissan GTR, Toyota Supra in regards to its target audience.

What's the price point of a new Ford GT? And what's the Vette's? That is where the possible appreciation comes from.

I don't think that's how it works.

I'm glad you like the car which I agreed was great and I hope you pick one up if you want one.

I have never had a vette and don't plan on having one. The 2020 vette has been discussed by the best car guys I know as a good investment. But what do they know. They just have a TV series for 15 seasons on classic cars.

Let's be reasonable. 911 maybe, and it's not less than half the cost. A 911 starts around 80k, and highly regarded as one of the best cars on the road. Corvette, as much as enthusiasts may want to claim, is not on par with the likes of Ferrari or McLaren. The only comparison you can make to Ferrari is that Corvette has copied their styling cues for half a century.

There's honestly no reason that Corvette can't be compared to a Ferrari or McLaren IF it was made like the aforementioned or Ford GT: small quantities, hand craftsmanship, and quality construction. Instead it's a mass produced, corner cutting, mid-tier sports car. I would like it so much more if GM didn't give it to the bean counters before taking it to market.

A mid engine Corvette is comparable to Lotus Evora, Nissan GTR, Toyota Supra in regards to its target audience.

Yeah I would say only car I can think of made over here that compares to Ferrari and McLaren is the Acura NSX. $150K supercar

There will be those who can flip the first couple of deliveries. Same as the Supra that came out. Short term inflation vs long term investment (appreciation) is not the same thing. Now, will there depreciate at a slower rate? Maybe, but that's almost impossible to predict given the first year of production.

At the end of the day, it's a mass production vehicle. Production numbers matter. Now, once we get into the ZR1, etc, then long term investment could be a consideration.

There will be those who can flip the first couple of deliveries. Same as the Supra that came out. Short term inflation vs long term investment (appreciation) is not the same thing. Now, will there depreciate at a slower rate? Maybe, but that's almost impossible to predict given the first year of production.

At the end of the day, it's a mass production vehicle. Production numbers matter. Now, once we get into the ZR1, etc, then long term investment could be a consideration.
Historically, as radical as a car the ZR1 is, I don't think I can look at it as an investment. Here's my example:

1994 Ferrari 512 TR (fully loaded) MSRP around $140,000 - Still sells today on the used market for $140k-200k - Not a great investment, but excellent retention of value.

1994 Corvette ZR1 (fully loaded) MSRP around $70,000 - Trades today on the used market for $16k-25k - Great when compared to other Chevys from 1994, but not a worthy investment.

1994 Acura NSX: MSRP $74,000 - Sells today for $55k-75k. As @belmontcc15 mentioned, the NSX is a pretty good comparison to a vette these days, and a far better bang for the buck. Though still not a good investment.

2019 ZR1s are currently selling brand new at under MSRP. I think once you hit the $100k+ mark on sports cars, Corvettes fall quickly to the bottom of peoples list.

Historically, as radical as a car the ZR1 is, I don't think I can look at it as an investment. Here's my example:

1994 Ferrari 512 TR (fully loaded) MSRP around $140,000 - Still sells today on the used market for $140k-200k - Not a great investment, but excellent retention of value.

1994 Corvette ZR1 (fully loaded) MSRP around $70,000 - Trades today on the used market for $16k-25k - Great when compared to other Chevys from 1994, but not a worthy investment.

1994 Acura NSX: MSRP $74,000 - Sells today for $55k-75k. As @belmontcc15 mentioned, the NSX is a pretty good comparison to a vette these days, and a far better bang for the buck. Though still not a good investment.

2019 ZR1s are currently selling brand new at under MSRP. I think once you hit the $100k+ mark on sports cars, Corvettes fall quickly to the bottom of peoples list.

I don't disagree. That's why I said maybe. It's literally the only model from the Corvette range that could potentially appreciate 10-15 years down the road. Looking at the base model corvette as an investment just boggles my mind.

The C8 certainly looks like a magnificent car, but I can no longer climb in and out of my C1 restomod if the top is up.
Probably not the right investment for me, but yes, one hell of a motorcar.

Speaking of, this gem was sitting at Outback tonight. Pretty common seeing them on the roads here. This is the first one I've seen up close. Really want to get behind the wheel of one.

Attachments

• 20200311_231021.jpg
    20200311_231021.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200311_230931.jpg
    20200311_230931.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 46
Back