I am a big believer in stock piling draft picks. If I was drafting anywhere in the 1st and not going QB, I would be looking to trade down and pick up more 2nd and 3rd picks. With the odds of success so difficult for each draft pick, give me lots of picks in the earlier rounds and I think teams can jump into good teams quicker.
Except the Browns (regardless of who has made the picks) have absolutely sucked at picking talent in any round, so getting extra picks has not helped them - with possible exception of John Dorsey. Hopefully the new front office in place knows what they're doing. With Jimmy Haslam's track record, I wouldn't bet in this.

Just following in Joe Montana's footsteps...?

Although Montana was pushed out by a younger, more mobile & super-talented QB. Who does NE have to replace him?

Watching the combine with my wife is always interesting.
She loves this stuff.

Just following in Joe Montana's footsteps...?

Although Montana was pushed out by a younger, more mobile & super-talented QB. Who does NE have to replace him?

I just wonder if he goes to a new team, does he go into a system he can succeed in?

My Lord but Mekhi Becton (OT Louisville) is a large, large man! I wonder which OT's are going to become HOF caliber from this draft class? Seems like 5-7 really good ones - I'm sure about half will pan out & the other half will struggle (that seems to be the track record for 1st round OT's lately)

I am a big believer in stock piling draft picks. If I was drafting anywhere in the 1st and not going QB, I would be looking to trade down and pick up more 2nd and 3rd picks. With the odds of success so difficult for each draft pick, give me lots of picks in the earlier rounds and I think teams can jump into good teams quicker.

I'm torn on this with the Redskins and Young. It would be great to get more picks, but Young would be the first truly elite prospect they've had a chance at for a long time. The only way I see a trade back being worth it is if Miami go crazy and offer all 3 first rounders which isn't happening.

I'm torn on this with the Redskins and Young. It would be great to get more picks, but Young would be the first truly elite prospect they've had a chance at for a long time. The only way I see a trade back being worth it is if Miami go crazy and offer all 3 first rounders which isn't happening.

Yea, if I were a team with Young on the board I am drafting him and not even considering trades unless you give me that offer I can't refuse.

The problem with the Redskins is are they really sold on Haskins? I am not. It's not rocket science that any team that wants to win has to get a QB first and foremost. When you have that top 5 pick you have to make sure you pick the right QB or that will set your team back for years. The Redskins have a chance to get a really good QB prospect. I think we could see 2 maybe 3 picks turn into franchise QBs for their teams. If they are sold on Haskins, they should run-up to the podium and take Young. If he is close to the player Bosa was for SF, the NFC East is going to have trouble with him for years. Young looks like a game-changer in a position that might be the second or third most important position on the team.

Yea, if I were a team with Young on the board I am drafting him and not even considering trades unless you give me that offer I can't refuse.

The problem with the Redskins is are they really sold on Haskins? I am not. It's not rocket science that any team that wants to win has to get a QB first and foremost. When you have that top 5 pick you have to make sure you pick the right QB or that will set your team back for years. The Redskins have a chance to get a really good QB prospect. I think we could see 2 maybe 3 picks turn into franchise QBs for their teams. If they are sold on Haskins, they should run-up to the podium and take Young. If he is close to the player Bosa was for SF, the NFC East is going to have trouble with him for years. Young looks like a game-changer in a position that might be the second or third most important position on the team.

If Young is who they want, they should draft him. If they don't want Young, they should trade down. With both the Giants and Lions are open to trading, someone may want to move up and draft Young or Tua. I would take Young and if they're not sold on Haskins, the free agent market is loaded with seasoned starting quarterbacks.

After an 8-0 start, my team fell apart in the second half of last season.
Our brilliant but geriatric quarterback who does ads for Aston Martin is a free agent and is not expected back.
Our six trophy total looks like a fixed number for the foreseeable future.
I can see me sitting this coming season out.

After an 8-0 start, my team fell apart in the second half of last season.
Our brilliant but geriatric quarterback who does ads for Aston Martin is a free agent and is not expected back.
Our six trophy total looks like a fixed number for the foreseeable future.
I can see me sitting this coming season out.

AFC Least isn't a strong division. The Bills, who are the strongest rivals, have not demonstrated any ability to beat the Pats. With or without Taummey, the Pats need some help at TE and receiver.

AFC Least isn't a strong division. The Bills, who are the strongest rivals, have not demonstrated any ability to beat the Pats. With or without Taummey, the Pats need some help at TE and receiver.

Indeed they do. Gronk was a tour de force, so with he and Edelman and a decent third down back, Tom got by without a Randy Moss type wideout.
With Gronk gone, it became a whole different story. By the second half of the season, the league figured that out.

I'm sure he's got his issues, but from where we were it's a massive upgrade. And that's not specifically about Rivera, a big part is the removal of Allen and the training staff.

From an outside perspective Rivera seemed to do a pretty good job in Carolina though? Consistent progress from when he started until the SB run, things only started to fall apart when Cam did and even then it's not to the depths the Redskins have been.
@Ghost21 sorry I lost track of this thread.

When Ron Rivera took over as head coach of the Panthers, we had just ended the relationship with John Fox. Mr "it is what it is" himself. Expectations were high. Hopes were higher. Ron said "I'm going to form a staff of teaching coaches. We're going to develop players. We're going to run a 4-3/3-4 hybrid defense." and they drafted Cam Newton. The team had just rolled through a lousy season and John Fox thumbed his nose at the fans with his choice of QB. Brian St. Pierre. Seriously? Really? Really.

Things looked good. Then GM Marty Hurney was fired. Salary cap hell followed. Dave Gettleman came in and straightened out the mess. Cut fan favorite players. Got fired himself when it looked like TE Greg Olsen wouldn't get the contract extension he wanted.

Marty Hurney 2.0 comes back. Seems to be better. Still bad idea to bring him back in my opinion.
Jerry Richardson, the owner, is accused of sexual misconduct with employees and of being racist. He sells the team. Requires that a creepy bronze statue of him holding a football remain outside the stadium.

End the 25 years of the NFL shield being on the center of Panther's stadium field. Enter the Panther logo being painted on the center field. The bronze statue is mentioned by the new owner David Tepper. He said it's contractially obligated to remain. He doesn't say how long.
Enter new practice area. No longer will the team have to use a hotel ballroom for their walk throughs on rainy days.

Continue the Panthers streak of never having back to back winning seasons. Ever.
Exit Panther defensive coordinator Sean McDermott to the Bills. Show them winning.
Enter Steve Wilkes to replace Sean McDermott. Show Panthers defense slipping.
Exit Steve Wilkes to the Cardinals. Show them fire him the next year.
Enter Eric Washington to replace Steve Wilkes. Show the Panthers defense taken over 1/2 way through the season by Ron Rivera.
Show Panthers defense improve. Slightly.

About Ron Rivera. He's a player's coach. The players love him. He moved his office into the locker room to be closer to them.
He loves the run game. Expect a LOT of it. Especially since you've got Adrian Peterson.
He sucks at managing the clock during games.
He loves his veteran players. He will play them over rookies. Even though the rookies show more potential he will play his vets.
He doesn't adapt to changing conditions.
Looking at CAR v ATL games he didn't game plan well at all for them.
Looking at CAR v NO games he didn't game plan well at all for them.
For whatever reason he took one of the most promising players on defense Brian Burns, Panthers first round draft pick and was tearing up the season, and put him on special teams. SPECIAL TEAMS. It makes no sense.
For most of his time Carolina excelled in December. Normally didn't lose a game during that month.
Not very expressive on the sidelines. Can't tell if he's mad, happy, upset, alive...
Essentially, he's an old school coach. Run game to set up the passing game... only he didn't know how to plan for players' strengths.
Cam Newton's career. Kind of wasted. No focus on offensive line to keep QB upright and promote better play.
Greg Olsen's career. Kind of wasted. No focus on offensive line to keep QB upright and promote better play. Most time Greg was in as an additional blocker because the Oline was trash.
Luke Keuchly's career. Kind of wasted. There was no safety behind him that he could trust.
Ignored Offensive line. Didn't draft replacement left tackle when Jordan Gross retired.
Ignored safety. Never really drafted true safety, or free safety. Carolina hasn't had a true safety in years and years.
Ignored the blatant signs that Cam was injured. When he's walking around practice with a PRONOUNCED LIMP something's wrong.

You're getting Ryan Vermillion as the trainer. He was the head trainer at Carolina. For a while now I've wondered whether Carolina had an NFL record for th number of players ending the season on injured reserve. I've wondered what he was doing differently than other teams because Panthers players always seemed to be hurt.
There's a different medical staff so that may help. It may not.
Hopefully Trent Williams won't have the same issues with Ryan Vermillion that he had with your outgoing trainers.

I hope the Redskins succeed. I really do. I'm glad Ron's not the coach of the Panthers anymore. It was time for a change for them. Maybe he's learned some lessons and will apply them. I don't know. I DO hope y'all don't do well when you play Carolina. It's not personal. :)

Good night! I didn't realize this was such a book. Sorry for the length.:eek:

I would take Young and if they're not sold on Haskins, the free agent market is loaded with seasoned starting quarterbacks.
Sure, the market has plenty of QBs. The issue is the cap dollars you have to allot. Except for Brady on his very friendly cap number, most of the Super Bowl teams have had young cap free QBs.

Except the Browns (regardless of who has made the picks) have absolutely sucked at picking talent in any round, so getting extra picks has not helped them - with possible exception of John Dorsey. Hopefully the new front office in place knows what they're doing. With Jimmy Haslam's track record, I wouldn't bet in this.
'Da Browns have had season after season after season to make their picks. At one point 1/2 of their roster were first round picks
The owners are giving more of the money.

Wages/Economics

-- 47% of annual revenue in 2020, plus around $100M in new Player Costs above current CBA for 2020
-- Guaranteed 48% share of revenue in 2021, with ability to increase the percentage to 48.5% share through a media kicker which applies in any season the league plays 17 games
-- Projected increase of around $5 billion to players during course of a new 10-year deal

Plus, I think a big deal is the virtual removal of punishment for marijuana use.
Is there something in the projected CBA that will force teams to spend money on their players? A la the Bengals and their owner NOT spending money on players.

Or. Something saying every team WILL have a scouting dept NOT related to the owner, AND a GM? A la the Bengals again...

Sorry, my coworker is a Bengals fan

The problem with the Redskins is are they really sold on Haskins? I am not.

We've not seen enough of him to be fully sold but he should definitely get the year as starter. He's got all the attributes and performed pretty well under the circumstances when he started late in the year. We desperately need to get him a TE and another WR to go opposite Mclaurin though.

Indeed they do. Gronk was a tour de force, so with he and Edelman and a decent third down back, Tom got by without a Randy Moss type wideout.
With Gronk gone, it became a whole different story. By the second half of the season, the league figured that out.

I don't think teams figured them out in the second half, they just started to actually play legitimate NFL teams during that stretch. Their first 8 games may have been the easiest stretch in NFL history (based on opponent's winning %), and masked a lot of issues they had despite being 8-0.

As long Bill gets a somewhat decent QB to coach (if Brady does leave), they should still be in playoff/championship contention as their division has been awful for 2 decades and I don't see that changing much the next couple years.

I don't think teams figured them out in the second half, they just started to actually play legitimate NFL teams during that stretch. Their first 8 games may have been the easiest stretch in NFL history (based on opponent's winning %), and masked a lot of issues they had despite being 8-0.

As long Bill gets a somewhat decent QB to coach (if Brady does leave), they should still be in playoff/championship contention as their division has been awful for 2 decades and I don't see that changing much the next couple years.

There are definitely some decent QBs for the Pats to grab if Brady leaves. it will be interesting. And I agree the AFC Least will not present a challenge unless Buffalo proves it can beat NE.

There are definitely some decent QBs for the Pats to grab if Brady leaves. it will be interesting. And I agree the AFC Least will not present a challenge unless Buffalo proves it can beat NE.

I think the Pats should look hard at Bridgewater if Brady is really leaving. He is young enough and has the skills to play. Will probably not cost a ton and give him Belichick as a coach and the Pats could find themselves back in the winner circle. UGH. I hate saying this.

Not saying what QB will end up where, but Brady's decision will clarify things. It's going to be interesting to see where all the QBs end up and see who drafts Tua, Love, and Herbert, and even Eason and Fromm.

And the other big thing for me is will Jerruh pay Dak? It's fascinating listening to Jerruh try to explain his thought processes about paying Dak. Jerruh has an amazing ability to contradict himself several times in the same interview. Maybe if you had a real GM running the football operations, things may be different. I'm not a Cowboys fan and I don't care if they sign him or not. My only interest is if they do sign him, what the number is. Because Mr. Mahomes will be getting paid at some point and he's worth more than Dak. Lots more.

seen a story that Stafford is looking to get out of Detroit...I'd love it if he went to the 9ers.

I think the Pats should look hard at Bridgewater if Brady is really leaving. He is young enough and has the skills to play. Will probably not cost a ton and give him Belichick as a coach and the Pats could find themselves back in the winner circle. UGH. I hate saying this.
IF Brady is leaving is the KEY word. I don't see him leaving for a team that doesn't have a shot at a title and the Patriots are the best option.
Dallas
Tenn
Vegas
Niners
Tampa??
The question I have is WHY now does he value Money over the greater good? It's not like they need the money and I am not one to spend someone else's money but they have upwards of a quarter billion. So really why? I do wonder how much and at what price BB wants TB12 back at.

I like Teddy Bridgewater but he would be a bridge to the next young guy I think there are going to be a few QBs on the market. How far does Tua fall? I doubt to 23.
I would like to see Josh Rosen who could probably be gotten pretty cheap. It seems like the Colts are going with Rivers because they are familiar with him or that is the rumor on the radio. Why they would go with Rivers over Brady is Mind Boggling but that is why they are the Colts.

I still think the best chance for him to win is in NE.

Only time will tell but I am preparing for life without TB12 not that I want it to happen. If he leaves I will think its sad that it ends this way but the NFL is a Business and Montana played for another team so why not Tom.

Last edited:
the boy from Abbotsford... might go in the first round now

6'5" 238

Last edited:
Only time will tell but I am preparing for life without TB12 not that I want it to happen. If he leaves I will think its sad that it ends this way but the NFL is a Business and Montana played for another team so why not Tom.

Pats fans preparing for life after Brady. It’s going to be interesting to see if Belichick really is the coach everyone thinks when he doesn’t have the greatest QB ever on his team.

IF Brady is leaving is the KEY word. I don't see him leaving for a team that doesn't have a shot at a title and the Patriots are the best option.
Dallas
Tenn
Vegas
Niners
Tampa??
The question I have is WHY now does he value Money over the greater good? It's not like they need the money and I am not one to spend someone else's money but they have upwards of a quarter billion. So really why? I do wonder how much and at what price BB wants TB12 back at.

I like Teddy Bridgewater but he would be a bridge to the next young guy I think there are going to be a few QBs on the market. How far does Tua fall? I doubt to 23.
I would like to see Josh Rosen who could probably be gotten pretty cheap. It seems like the Colts are going with Rivers because they are familiar with him or that is the rumor on the radio. Why they would go with Rivers over Brady is Mind Boggling but that is why they are the Colts.

I still think the best chance for him to win is in NE.

I agree that it can’t be about money. And it seems that it’s a little late in his career to decide to switch teams. I think he only goes if the Pats don’t want him.

If he does go, I think the Pats need a veteran (it will be interesting to see who that is) and they would need to address it also in the draft. But in the draft, who knows who will be available when they pick.

Back