EXPERIENCE 2021 Grandaddy of Em All with Callaway Golf

For any of my GD teammates playing this weekend, I'm going to post up a little challenge to live post it. I know not everyone will be posting the scores during the event but doesn't hurt for everyone to get better at it now! I will be playing Sunday morning and will live post that round (regardless of how I play)!
And please use the Live Round thread rather than this one.

And please use the Live Round thread rather than this one.
Should have mentioned that! Apologies!

Here is that thread.

I've also edited the original post to include to post in the Live Round thread

Last edited:
For any of my GD teammates playing this weekend, I'm going to post up a little challenge to live post it in the Live Round Thread. I know not everyone will be posting the scores during the event but doesn't hurt for everyone to get better at it now! I will be playing Sunday morning and will live post that round (regardless of how I play)!

since I’m playing a Ryder cup event this weekend, I’m going to try to do this!

For any of my GD teammates playing this weekend, I'm going to post up a little challenge to live post it in the Live Round Thread. I know not everyone will be posting the scores during the event but doesn't hurt for everyone to get better at it now! I will be playing Sunday morning and will live post that round (regardless of how I play)!

I'm in. Have. Fun round tomorrow at 9:10 with a few friends.

At the beach with my wife celebrating her birthday so no golf for me. I'm going to try this next weekend though!!

Game is coming back in to form! Driver wasn't great for most of the day but when it was, it was perfect. Still work to do but it's coming together again and I actually have some confidence in my game back. Best ball one day tournament next weekend that I'm excited about as well. It's really nice to get out of the huge hole I dug myself from July to now.

Felling better about December!

Doing a little cleaning in the office and stopped to look at this (it needs a little touching up) and reflect on the experience. There are so many memories that came rushing in to my head, it's still amazing to think about.

4D0F01E6-939B-42DD-8834-CD01AB06CA90.jpeg

Doing a little cleaning in the office and stopped to look at this (it needs a little touching up) and reflect on the experience. There are so many memories that came rushing in to my head, it's still amazing to think about.

View attachment 9028902
That's such an awesome set up to remember everything!

View attachment 9028902

That looks great!

This weekend is my inter-club Ryder Cup style event against our sister course. Should be a ton dog fun.

mostly, I’m really excited about how many competition match play events I have played in this year. I believe this weekend will be my 12th competitive match play round, and I’ve probably played 8 more casually.
Hopefully that keeps the nerves a tiny bit lower come December!

GD teammates, how are you all feeling about match play?

It is the best! A bad hole or 2 doesn’t mean you are done like in stroke play.

My father in law and I finished 1 point out of the money for Saturday and for the event! Ahhh!

All was not lost when my FIL holed a 3 wood on a low par 4 for an eagle! It was the only skin of the weekend!
AF7CABF7-D10D-4F1F-BF35-5828AEF56A5B.jpeg

View attachment 9028902
That turned out really well.. I'm going to have to do something similar!!

View attachment 9028902
That is cool!

Reactions: KEV
While I initially wanted to live score/thread my inter-club Ryder Cup event this past weekend, several challenges came up, coupled with the fact that many there wouldn’t truly understand what I would be trying to do, and I didn’t want to have any barriers with my partner either.

For context, our club membership grants full access to both courses equally. When booking tee-times, you select which course, any purchases, whether that’s cart rental, food and beverage, pro shop, etc… are all under the same account. The director of golf oversees both.
We do have privileges at other clubs owned under the same umbrella, but in general, my home course (Polo Fields) and this second course (Persimmon Ridge), the membership is to both courses.

Persimmon Ridge is a much tougher, and better maintained course, as it hosts the Kentucky Open, and just in general is regarded highly as one of the nicer courses in the state. Polo on the other hand, is not in the best shape right now, is considerably tighter with a lot of OB, and is your typical neighborhood course.

A key difference is the core groups that identify themselves as a “Persimmon member” versus a “Polo member”, even though we pay for membership is to both. Of course, this promotes a stigma within the divide. The Persimmon guys are typically more competitive, less social; whereas Polo is much more of the social scene.
One of the main reasons I joined a club was for social interaction, so Polo is where i play 75% of the time, and belong to the men’s league there. Over the years there has been some bad blood between groups, and generally a solid contingent of each doesn’t like each other. That said, it shows, especially at weekends like this where it’s club-vs-club, and it ruins the fun. But I won’t get into any more details, let’s talk golf!

Qualifying: The top 16 players (plus captains and pros) in the league made the team, based on season long standings from Thursday Night Men’s League, as a Stableford Quota format. I came in 5th place overall in the league and qualified easily (which was a goal for 2021 after missing it last year).

It was a fantastic 36 holes of golf, spending a day at each of our partner courses.
Day 1 was a front 9 4 ball, back 9 alternate shot.
Day 2 singles

I was able to partner with a good buddy that also qualified, someone who is part of my regular group that plays together at least once a week.

We played well against the other team on day 1, but giving up a couple pops, and neither of us having our A game, we came up a bit short. I did make a 15 foot birdie on hole #9, to halve the front 9, but we did lose the back on 16. We went down 0.5-1.5 in the match, but were overall tied 9-9 in Cup standings after day 1.

Day 2 singles.
We faced the same twosome we played the previous day, only this time in singles format. I had to give up 2 pops, both of which came in handy for my opponent. He was an older person (I would say gentleman, but the term didn’t fit, one of those bad-blood members), and he played that old-man brand of golf where every ball goes straight and a decent distance. I birdied 1, but couldn’t get much else going and finished with a 42 on the front, and was 1 down making the turn.
I birdied 10, had a bad 3 putt bogey on 11 that halved the hole there, keeping us all square. We both birdied 14, I birdied 16 to go 1-up.
17 I came up short of the green (185yd par 3), chipped up and had a bad 2 putt bogey to give the hole away. Headed to 18 all square, where we both par it, and halve the match.

Overall, for the first time ever, Polo Fields won the cup 19-17. It was a great weekend of competition and match play.

Personally, I have got to work on my tee game. It feels like sometimes I cannot get off to a good position from a tee ball, whether I use driver, hybrid, iron, whatever. The driver led directly to 2 penalties on the front, and I had a fat 5 iron, hooked SuperHybrid, and sliced drive that hint a tree but somehow stayed in play, on the back that. Putting also hurt me a bit with two 3 footers on the back on Sunday that I lipped out, but I did make some great putts overall, highlight being a 25 footer on 16 with massive downhill left to right.
Sunday also marked the best 9 hole score I have ever had, with a back 9 - 35, with 3 birdies, 2 bogeys, 4 pars. I think back on those 2 missed putts, but very happy to have my first ever under score for par 9 holes! (Though match play I am counting it as my opponent didn’t concede anything, I holed everything out).

I am greatly enjoying the competition and training this has given me for the Grandaddy! The nerves are definitely there, but it’s nice to get some experience in these scenarios, talking things out with a teammate, and having extra pressure!

Last edited:
While I initially wanted to live score/thread my inter-club Ryder Cup event this past weekend, several challenges came up, coupled with the fact that many there wouldn’t truly understand what I would be trying to do, and I didn’t want to have any barriers with my partner either.

For context, our club membership grants full access to both courses equally. When booking tee-times, you select which course, any purchases, whether that’s cart rental, food and beverage, pro shop, etc… are all under the same account. The director of golf oversees both.
We do have privileges at other clubs owned under the same umbrella, but in general, my home course (Polo Fields) and this second course (Persimmon Ridge), the membership is to both courses.

Persimmon Ridge is a much tougher, and better maintained course, as it hosts the Kentucky Open, and just in general is regarded highly as one of the nicer courses in the state. Polo on the other hand, is not in the best shape right now, is considerably tighter with a lot of OB, and is your typical neighborhood course.

A key difference is the core groups that identify themselves as a “Persimmon member” versus a “Polo member”, even though we pay for membership is to both. Of course, this promotes a stigma within the divide. The Persimmon guys are typically more competitive, less social; whereas Polo is much more of the social scene.
One of the main reasons I joined a club was for social interaction, so Polo is where i play 75% of the time, and belong to the men’s league there. Over the years there has been some bad blood between groups, and generally a solid contingent of each doesn’t like each other. That said, it shows, especially at weekends like this where it’s club-vs-club, and it ruins the fun. But I won’t get into any more details, let’s talk golf!

Qualifying: The top 16 players (plus captains and pros) in the league made the team, based on season long standings from Thursday Night Men’s League, as a Stableford Quota format. I came in 5th place overall in the league and qualified easily (which was a goal for 2021 after missing it last year).

It was a fantastic 36 holes of golf, spending a day at each of our partner courses.
Day 2 singles

I was able to partner with a good buddy that also qualified, someone who is part of my regular group that plays together at least once a week.

We played well against the other team on day 1, but giving up a couple pops, and neither of us having our A game, we came up a bit short. I did make a 15 foot birdie on hole #9, to halve the front 9, but we did lose the back on 16. We went down 0.5-1.5 in the match, but were overall tied 9-9 in Cup standings after day 1.

Day 2 singles.
We faced the same twosome we played the previous day, only this time in singles format. I had to give up 2 pops, both of which came in handy for my opponent. He was an older person (I would say gentleman, but the term didn’t fit, one of those bad-blood members), and he played that old-man brand of golf where every ball goes straight and a decent distance. I birdied 1, but couldn’t get much else going and finished with a 42 on the front, and was 1 down making the turn.
I birdied 10, had a bad 3 putt bogey on 11 that halved the hole there, keeping us all square. We both birdied 14, I birdied 16 to go 1-up.
17 I came up short of the green (185yd par 3), chipped up and had a bad 2 putt bogey to give the hole away. Headed to 18 all square, where we both it, and halve the match.

Overall, for the first time ever, Polo Fields won the cup 19-17. It was a great weekend of competition and match play.

Personally, I have got to work on my tee game. It feels like sometimes I cannot get off to a good position from a tee ball, whether I use driver, hybrid, iron, whatever. The driver led directly to 2 penalties on the front, and I had a fat 5 iron, hooked SuperHybrid, and sliced drive that hint a tree but somehow stayed in play, on the back that. Putting also hurt me a bit with two 3 footers on the back on Sunday that I lipped out, but I did make some great putts overall, highlight being a 25 footer on 16 with massive downhill left to right.
Sunday also marked the best 9 hole score I have ever had, with a back 9 - 35, with 3 birdies, 2 bogeys, 4 pars. I think back on those 2 missed putts, but very happy to have my first ever under score for par 9 holes! (Though match play I am counting it as my opponent didn’t concede anything, I holed everything out).

I am greatly enjoying the competition and training this has given me for the Grandaddy! The nerves are definitely there, but it’s nice to get some experience in these scenarios, talking things out with a teammate, and having extra pressure!
Appreciate the recap! You'll get it right by December.

1632336812705.jpeg

I'm so pumped for all of the lucky participants and can hardly wait for December when we all get to live vicariously through your experiences!

Taking a photo of your scorecard is a great tip during live rounds!

Day 2 singles

Day 2 singles.
17 I came up short of the green (185yd par 3), chipped up and had a bad 2 putt bogey to give the hole away. Headed to 18 all square, where we both it, and halve the match.

Great insight on your weekend!

I'm so pumped for all of the lucky participants and can hardly wait for December when we all get to live vicariously through your experiences!

Taking a photo of your scorecard is a great tip during live rounds!

Can't wait to have you come on the journey with us.

I love the scorecard picture. It makes it so much easier for the experience!

Day 2 singles

Day 2 singles.
17 I came up short of the green (185yd par 3), chipped up and had a bad 2 putt bogey to give the hole away. Headed to 18 all square, where we both par it, and halve the match.

Great writeup and congrats again Neil!

Back