2021 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
From 251.4 last Friday to 248.8 this morning. It might have been more but we had pizza last night. 6 of the last 7 days I did 10 miles in 30 on the Echelon bike. My best was 10 in 28:02.

I am retired and played about 5 times a week last year and along with working in the yard, I kept my weight in check. Every winter I spent time at the gym building muscle and loosing weight preparing for the summer. This year due to covid, I did not rejoin the gym and have gained a lot of weight. I started keeping an eye on what I eat and started walking the neighborhood but no real progress yet. I need to drop 25 lbs but so far I am stalled out. Hope things start to turn around for me.

...anyone ever use Healthy Wager? Not that I ever have, just had the email from them hit my inbox & have seen the commercials before.

Seems gimmicky to me...

I am at 192 still. Been doing a lot of Kettle ball training the last few weeks and Rowing. The last 5-7 pounds are the toughest and my eating hasn’t been as disciplined as of late.

Friday update and I'm still going good, down 17lbs now since early December.

Low carbs, walking my dog, jogging in place now 15 minutes, pushups and sit-ups every other day, and finally my superspeed training every other day too.

Jumped on the scale this morning after my workout and it says I've gained 2 pounds? Excuse me, what? Now, I'm telling myself...."You're young still (41) and you're working out again (one week in)...your muscles are starting to grow again (look how sore you are). I've been following my fasting program to the letter, haven't cheated, for almost 3 weeks now. With that said, I may have over eaten a bit last night for supper and that's not good and all, but I guess I probably shouldn't look at the scale for a few days and do better about not over eating when my window opens up.

Jumped on the scale this morning after my workout and it says I've gained 2 pounds? Excuse me, what? Now, I'm telling myself...."You're young still (41) and you're working out again (one week in)...your muscles are starting to grow again (look how sore you are). I've been following my fasting program to the letter, haven't cheated, for almost 3 weeks now. With that said, I may have over eaten a bit last night for supper and that's not good and all, but I guess I probably shouldn't look at the scale for a few days and do better about not over eating when my window opens up.
I weigh in once a week. Takes the emphasis off the day to day, more of a long term approach. Works for me.

...anyone ever use Healthy Wager? Not that I ever have, just had the email from them hit my inbox & have seen the commercials before.

Seems gimmicky to me...
Gimmicky? Yep. Scammy? Maybe.

I weigh in once a week. Takes the emphasis off the day to day, more of a long term approach. Works for me.
Same here. The day-to-day has driven me a bit crazy in the past.

Not a good week. I’m up a bit to 249.4. I wasn’t able to ride the bike as often as I wanted. Oh well, back to it.

Started to workout this week at the Gym - I had the trainer give me "Golf Related" program.
Want to get stronger however more important to me was increased flexibility.
So, Arm and Leg stretching every day, One day of a 3 mile walk (Cardio) and one day of Weights (4 Arm/Chest & 2 Legs)

The real bummer of this is that as soon as I started on this program, I've put on 2 pounds.
I have stuck to my diet of Low Carb (25% Carbs/35% Fats/40% Protein).
I know the weight will come of as my body adjust, it just sucks while it's happening.

Down 20 lbs now (201 to 181) and still going strong. Sticking with low carbs, walking my dog, jogging in place now 15 minutes, pushups and sit-ups every other day, and finally my superspeed training every other day too.

I am at 193 this week. Up a pound but I had another poor week eating. Getting back on track with that. Still exercising on a regular basis (rowing, kettle ball and walking). Snow on the ground is demoralizing but I am fighting through it.

I need to lose a few pounds. Apparently eating a stack of Good Crisp company chips daily correlates to weight gain. Crazy, I know. :cautious: The 6+ weeks of remodel so far partly to blame. Without an operational kitchen we are ad hoc eating.

Wife and I jumped into this with both feet this last week. We've both gained weight over the years. I know for me the culprit has been reduced activity. I sit at a desk most of the day now. We sold the treadmill that she wanted but rarely used, and have listed the Bowflex that we also never use. We picked up another stationary bike over the weekend, after having sold the previous one about five years ago, and ordered a rowing machine on Monday. It shipped yesterday.

We bought new bicycles last summer, and rode a lot. I rode pretty much every day after work until it got cold and dark earlier. We've also talked about getting a couple of kayaks this year to get out and do more outdoors stuff. There are a ton of lakes around southern and central Illinois where we could paddle for a few hours each weekend. We also need to play more golf.

I weighed myself this past Sunday; 260 lbs. o_O That's actually down a couple pounds from where I was last Spring. I know I'd lost some weight from riding, but gained most of it back over the holidays. I'm just uncomfortable in my clothes, and I'm getting a Buddha belly. My goal is 200 lbs, so I need to lose 60. Once I get there, I'll reassess and consider going for 185. I've never felt better than when I was at that weight. That was many years ago, though, so we'll see.

I started a spreadsheet to log my progress. I plan on weighing myself every Sunday morning. I'm also tracking my girth at my waist, belly, and chest.

At 54 years old, I know it won't be easy, but I need to be in better shape. I hate feeling like this.

I am retired and played about 5 times a week last year and along with working in the yard, I kept my weight in check. Every winter I spent time at the gym building muscle and loosing weight preparing for the summer. This year due to covid, I did not rejoin the gym and have gained a lot of weight. I started keeping an eye on what I eat and started walking the neighborhood but no real progress yet. I need to drop 25 lbs but so far I am stalled out. Hope things start to turn around for me.
Like you, due to Covid, I quit going to the gym about a year ago. Up until then, I was religious about working our 6 days a week. Big lifestyle change when Covid hit. be cause I am older (73), I felt risking getting this illness was just not smart. After a brief adjustment, I began working out at home with a minimal amount of equipment. I have a bench, only about 80 lbs of weight, and I purchased stretch bands. I have been continuing to work out 6 days a week and my weight has remained stable. Doing a lot more stretching and higher reps with the lighter weight. Can't wait to get back to the gym, but happy I've stayed at it. The additional stretching has really improved my flexibility, and the crunches and sit ups have kept the belly pretty flat for on old man.

I haven't lost much weight, yet, but I've gained muscle and lost fat since the beginning of the year. This is how it tends to go for me, coming back after having fallen off the wagon: I gradually ramp-up my weight training and cardio, and gradually improve my nutrition. Eventually I'll hit that point where weight loss from fat loss starts exceeding weight gain from muscle gain and I'll start dropping pounds. Weigh loss will continue at 1/2 to 1 lb/week until I hit about 20% BF or so--at which time I'll have knocked about 2 in. off the waistline, then fat loss and muscle gain will both slow and I'll have reached a kind of equilibrium.

Finding it tough to get going this year. I usually would go to the gym 3-4 times a week in the winter, but I haven't been since all this started back in early March. I had been walking a mile or more, a few times a week, weather permitting.

Sunday morning weigh in says I lost 6 lbs last week. Off to a good start on The Great Unfatting of 2021. :thumb:

I haven't lost much weight, yet, but I've gained muscle and lost fat since the beginning of the year. This is how it tends to go for me, coming back after having fallen off the wagon: I gradually ramp-up my weight training and cardio, and gradually improve my nutrition. Eventually I'll hit that point where weight loss from fat loss starts exceeding weight gain from muscle gain and I'll start dropping pounds. Weigh loss will continue at 1/2 to 1 lb/week until I hit about 20% BF or so--at which time I'll have knocked about 2 in. off the waistline, then fat loss and muscle gain will both slow and I'll have reached a kind of equilibrium.
This is exactly what is happening to me. Start to ramp up the Weight Training and Cardio along with Keto diet, and stop losing weight for a while.
Losing about .5 to 1 lbs. per week but I feel so much better and have more energy for sure.
Look forward to going to the gym now.

Have to keep at it and the pounds will come off.

Sunday morning weigh in says I lost 6 lbs last week. Off to a good start on The Great Unfatting of 2021. :thumb:
That's awesome, keep it up!

Down 7 lb since I started intermittent fasting 2 weeks ago. More importantly, one belt notch lost, and feeling much better overall.

Another big step for me: no diet soda since I started - this may be the longest I've gone without it in 30+ years!

According to what I've been able to figure out, the nutrasweet & other artificial sweeteners really screws up your gut biome (encourages bad bacteria to grow & inhibits good bacteria). All I know is I always felt bloated drinking the stuff - more so as the years piled up. And of course, I wouldn't just drink diet coke - I always had food with it (mostly junk carbs too).

Down 7 lb since I started intermittent fasting 2 weeks ago. More importantly, one belt notch lost, and feeling much better overall.

Another big step for me: no diet soda since I started - this may be the longest I've gone without it in 30+ years!

According to what I've been able to figure out, the nutrasweet & other artificial sweeteners really screws up your gut biome (encourages bad bacteria to grow & inhibits good bacteria). All I know is I always felt bloated drinking the stuff - more so as the years piled up. And of course, I wouldn't just drink diet coke - I always had food with it (mostly junk carbs too).
Keep it up!

A major milestone reached for me today! For the first time in many years the weight scale showed "two digit numbers" in kilogram. 99,9 kg !!! Technically my weekly weigh-in is Fridays, but I had a good feeling and stepped on the scale today:)

Converted to LBS I have now lost 84 lbs since mid August which I am very happy with! Still have a few lbs to loose and then I want to convert some more of the fat into muscles before I am "done".
My process is to keep control of my calorie intake, take a daily power walk (appr 1 hour) and daily visit to the gym (33 min cross trainer and then some weight training).

In November 2018, my cardiologist challenged me to lose 12 lbs in 12 weeks and I took up the challenge. By the end of the 12 weeks, I had dropped 26 on a Keto-ish diet. I continued dropping weight until I had dropped a total of 45 lbs. Then I hit a horrible plateau (and actually added back 5 lbs). So, I started swimming every morning for 30-50 minutes. That knocked the 5 lbs back off, but no further losses. It did, however, wonders for my golf game. I guess the swimming helped keep me from adding any more back on. Despite my best (?) efforts, I just could not lose anymore but maintained until COVID hit. That stopped the swimming (public pool). Since then, all the weight I had lost I've put back on.:( Yes, to a large extent, I got lazy.

To make matters worse, I fell in May 2020 and shattered my left wrist in 4 places. That sidelined me from golf for 4 solid months (so 2020 was a complete wash). I'm back to playing now (if this darn winter thing would go away). Maybe participating in this challenge/discussion will motivate me to start losing the vast multitude of pounds I need to drop.

As many of you know, the older you get, the harder it is to drop weight. It just simply does not burn off the way it used to. I tried the GoLo stuff briefly, but my blood pressure skyrocketed quickly, so that is a no go. My plan is low calorie, low carb, low sodium, high protein, and heavy on the green stuff. I'm going to rely on chicken and fish primarily, with beef once or twice a week. I still will not go back to a public gym or pool, but I plan to incorporate daily walks along with my golf. We'll see how it goes.:unsure:

A major milestone reached for me today! For the first time in many years the weight scale showed "two digit numbers" in kilogram. 99,9 kg !!! Technically my weekly weigh-in is Fridays, but I had a good feeling and stepped on the scale today:)

Converted to LBS I have now lost 84 lbs since mid August which I am very happy with! Still have a few lbs to loose and then I want to convert some more of the fat into muscles before I am "done".
My process is to keep control of my calorie intake, take a daily power walk (appr 1 hour) and daily visit to the gym (33 min cross trainer and then some weight training).

Nice! Keep it up!

I hit a smaller milestone myself today. Went under 200 lb for the first time this year. Down 9 lb overall so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back