2021 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Broke even this week with my weight in, first time this year I didn't have the loss.
I did however lose 2lbs. in 24 hours.
I walked 18 on Saturday, 11,000 steps and for some reason my weight went up 2 lbs.
Don't know why, however after 1 day, I lost it.
The Human Body is a complex being.

I did see a couple golfers that I had not seen since November. They notice my weight loss, so that's always nice that people notice the work you put in.

I leave tomorrow for my trip for the week and hit the 182 lb mark. Down from 204 when I started. I have been pretty good about it, although this weekend with @Canadan I went out to eat for dinner both nights and certainly didn't skimp when I ordered some delicious Mexican food as well as Shrimp and Grits the next night.

But staying true with the snacks and desserts and I feel like the 180 barrier is in my sights next.
Damn, 180 is a solid fighting weight!

I wouldn't mind being there as well.

... I get on the scale and I'm down .5 lbs. I know to everyone here that's nothing, ...
Monday mornings are my "official" weigh-in days. I'm down 1/2 lb. over last Monday. 1/2 lb. is 1/2 lb. If I can do that every week I'll be happy. It's in the right direction and that's what matters :)

I leave tomorrow for my trip for the week and hit the 182 lb mark. Down from 204 when I started.
(y)

I've been stuck for awhile now. Admittedly, I haven't been putting in the work necessary to lose the weight. I lost the initial 10 pounds, and have been teetering around the 10-11 lb mark for the last few weeks. We went kayaking yesterday, and getting on and off that thing really helped to drive home the message that I need to do this. I'm just too damned fat.

Well, I think I'm about to change my low carb regime and reintroduce the main carbs with healthier versions. My meals are just becoming boring.
We tried a wholegrain rice with red, white and black quinoa and it was delicious. I need to look into healthier types or cooking techniques of potato, pasta and bread now. Any advice?

I got pretty depressed this morning when I got on the scale and it's still not moving. Yes, I have lost 5 lbs, but it's been over 5 weeks already, so I really thought I would see some more movement. I feel like my diet and exercise are on point right now, so I was a bit down this morning. It didn't stop me from getting in an hour workout and some extra ab work though. I refuse to feel defeated. I feel like I see some changes in the mirror, even if the scale isn't saying anything yet.

I am just going to do everything I can to stay positive, and maybe even stay away from the scale for a few weeks. I normally just weigh in once a week, but maybe I just stay away from it for a while. Besides, who cares what the number says as long as my clothes fit better.

GG, do you think that your routine could possibly be turning some fat into muscle? If so, you should not be surprised at the lack of weight loss! Muscle is much more dense than fat, and it weighs more per similar volume. It's easy to get in better shape, and still weigh the same!

Did my weekly weight check this morning and Myfitness pal told me I've officially crossed the 70 pound mark. It looks like I crossed 60 pounds on March 30 so I'm roughly losing 3 pounds a week right now. I feel good. Clothes are fitting much better.

I am totally in the same boat as you. I see changes in how my clothes fit and I think how I look in the mirror, but the scale isn't going anywhere. Doesn't make any sense to me, but I do know that I'm working because I can feel it and it'll eventually come around. Apparently the plateau is quickly found.

I’ve lost 23lbs since I started taking care of myself at the end of last year, but most of that weight loss happened fairly early on. I weigh myself every Monday, and it is a bit deflating when you jump in the scale when little to nothing has happened, but I know my body is changing after first dropping a waist size, and now I’m on the verge of dropping a shirt size. It’s easy to jump on a scale and see those numbers go down, but in reality, the numbers on the scale aren’t a great indicator as far as I’m concerned.

GG, do you think that your routine could possibly be turning some fat into muscle? If so, you should not be surprised at the lack of weight loss! Muscle is much more dense than fat, and it weighs more per similar volume. It's easy to get in better shape, and still weigh the same!

It's for sure turning some fat into muscle, I can see it. But this weight is not healthy for me, I still have 15lbs of fat to lose just to be back to my comfortable weight. I was sad, but certainly not giving up. I am just focusing on how my clothes feel for now, and the scale will eventually follow.

I’ve re-lost the weight I had re-gained over the last couple of weeks. 243.8 this morning. I’m going to do all I can to not yo-yo the same few pounds again for what seems like the umpteenth infuriating time.

I’m behind where wanted to be for the end of April but I’m going in that direction.

I’ve re-lost the weight I had re-gained over the last couple of weeks. 243.8 this morning. I’m going to do all I can to not yo-yo the same few pounds again for what seems like the umpteenth infuriating time.

I’m behind where wanted to be for the end of April but I’m going in that direction.

Progress is progress, even if it's making up for some backsliding, it's still progress. :)

I said I wasn't going to weigh myself, but of course I did. I'm down another pound, so it's 7lbs in 7 weeks, so a pound a week. I would prefer 2lbs a week, but I know I'm gaining muscle too, and it's still a move in the right direction so I will take it!

When I complete my workout here shortly I will have been on a 7 week streak of working out consistently, and it feels freaking great! Well, actually it feels achy and sore, but in a good way haha.

With the corner turned on the weather, it's officially Outdoors Season!! I say that but we've done more camping, hiking, and driveway drinking the past 6 months than ever. I had a good friend really trying to get me to join him at his gym but its such a hardcore place. One its $100/month for individual & group training. It was just too intimidating. I like to work out and like the idea of cross-training and a variety of activities but were talking guys that will be doing a week of Murph Challenges some breaking 40 minutes!

So I didn't go to the gym but was getting some activities at home leading up to a Cancun vacation at the beginning of April. Left for the trip at 203lbs about 10-12 lbs above last summers weight. Good news was after a week of all-inclusive eating & drinking & more drinking, I came home at 203 and after the first week was down to 199. I haven't been working out but I treat yardwork like exercise and go at it pretty hard, mixing in some exercises as well.

We have a Florida trip planned at the end of June. Would really like to be around the 188-190 range with all the strength & flexibility back that I had last summer before the fall covid lockdown. The friends we have been hanging out with the most these last 6 months really like to cook and its definitely rough over winter when we're eating soups & casseroles instead of grilled meats & veggies. And did I mention the drinking?

@JB and I had a bit of a gluttonous weekend, and we both feel like complete crap today. We both agreed we can't, and honestly don't want to, eat like that anymore. One cheat meal, or cheat day, a week, that's it. Feeling like we feel today simply isn't worth it. And quite frankly, it's not like I feel deprived with my diet now anyway, so doing what we did was just stupid. Lesson learned.

Broke even this week with my weight in, first time this year I didn't have the loss.
I did however lose 2lbs. in 24 hours.
I walked 18 on Saturday, 11,000 steps and for some reason my weight went up 2 lbs.
Don't know why, however after 1 day, I lost it.
The Human Body is a complex being.

I did see a couple golfers that I had not seen since November. They notice my weight loss, so that's always nice that people notice the work you put in.
Loss 4.2lbs. last week and I'm lighter now that I have been 2+ years.
When I work the Stairmaster at the Gym, I lose close to a pound a day.
Get's so addicting that it almost makes me don't to play golf - Almost...
Will play 2 rounds this week 9 & 18 that I will be walking...

I think this was the Winter (year) of our collective discontent.

Started 4 mile fast walks last week or 5000 meters of rowing in less than 30 minutes - wish I could do both.

Eating - I read that carbs were good for testosterone ... so anyone for NYC bagels? I've done smaller portions, less alcohol, but my son had me baking cookies with him this winter. Cookies stopped last month.

I won't buy new clothes so getting down to 185 (from 195) is first goal, then 178. But it really depends on how I fit into clothes - won't buy anything above a size 34 waist so I better get at it.

My weight loss continues to seemingly go well. I’m below 230 today for the first time since I can remember. I was 253 when I started my health kick at the end of November, today I’m 227. I’m now realizing that a lot of my clothes are too hangy. After having to buy new pants after dropping from a 38 to a 36, today I bought some golf shorts for work, and for the first time since I can remember in an age, I bought large rather than xl. All this continues from pretty much just doing peloton rides and strength classes, and cutting right back on fast food. Other than that, I’m still a carb monster. Definitely continuing to trend in the right direction though. Would still like to get to around 200, not sure that’s possible with my diet, but we’ll see.

Fresh off a week in Vegas and then binging all weekend, I got on the scale today and was 183. So I went up slightly, but still on track. 180 is in my sights but a ton of travel coming up.

@JB and I had a bit of a gluttonous weekend, and we both feel like complete crap today. We both agreed we can't, and honestly don't want to, eat like that anymore. One cheat meal, or cheat day, a week, that's it. Feeling like we feel today simply isn't worth it. And quite frankly, it's not like I feel deprived with my diet now anyway, so doing what we did was just stupid. Lesson learned.

Wow, GG! What did you do? I understand that I can't be a good boy all the time, and will give myself the occasional break, but that usually means bringing sugar or fat loaded carbs home. No chips, no pop!

Wow, GG! What did you do? I understand that I can't be a good boy all the time, and will give myself the occasional break, but that usually means bringing sugar or fat loaded carbs home. No chips, no pop!

We just ate more than usual, and ate when we weren’t even hungry just to eat a cheat meal, it was dumb.

Down 8 lbs from last week. It’s been a struggle to keep at it as I’m so busy lately . But giving it my all

Have not posted here (in this thread) since joining. So last visit to my MD/Nutritionist weigh in had me at 212.6 and I have graduated - in fact they wanted me to stop at 217 (90 lbs). My goal was 215, and now, if I keep exercising, my goal is 207 - I want to get visceral fat down to 9 or less (it's between 10 and 11 - depending on the scale). I also want to get BMI down into the healthy range (25 - it's at 27 now). My waist is down from 47-48 to 36.

The question is, as (me being older) there is all this 'extra skin' which may not ever go away/contract - whatever skin does - as it will do when one is younger (eg: not me). No one can tell me what the weight of that is versus the rest of me - so the actual weight may not be wrong even though I may weigh more that ideal (due to this stuff that I can't get rid of).

So, as I began slimming down got rid of a lot of clothes, looking back wish I had kept some - I did keep my tux from my wedding. Tried it on - and BOOM it's too big! So, I am in better shape and weigh less than I did in 1988 - when I got married - I really hope I can keep the weight off - COVID and telework has been a great thing for me with the diet - my lone fear is what may happen when I return to typical office commuting/work - I guess I may see beginning in the June timeframe as my area claims to be ramping up towards that.

I will come back to the this thread from time to time to check in - good or bad.

If anyone has any questions for me - please reach out either via this thread of a PM - I really want to help.

I have an exercise routine and I have the basics of a healthy diet - and would gladly help anyway that I can. Physically, I am more fit that I may have ever been. And at my worst, I was getting spinal injections and periodic nerve ablations in the lumbar region of my back - have not had ANY of that since winter 2019 - so if diet and excercise can help this old man, it can help anyone.

Have not posted here (in this thread) since joining. So last visit to my MD/Nutritionist weigh in had me at 212.6 and I have graduated - in fact they wanted me to stop at 217 (90 lbs). My goal was 215, and now, if I keep exercising, my goal is 207 - I want to get visceral fat down to 9 or less (it's between 10 and 11 - depending on the scale). I also want to get BMI down into the healthy range (25 - it's at 27 now). My waist is down from 47-48 to 36.

The question is, as (me being older) there is all this 'extra skin' which may not ever go away/contract - whatever skin does - as it will do when one is younger (eg: not me). No one can tell me what the weight of that is versus the rest of me - so the actual weight may not be wrong even though I may weigh more that ideal (due to this stuff that I can't get rid of).

So, as I began slimming down got rid of a lot of clothes, looking back wish I had kept some - I did keep my tux from my wedding. Tried it on - and BOOM it's too big! So, I am in better shape and weigh less than I did in 1988 - when I got married - I really hope I can keep the weight off - COVID and telework has been a great thing for me with the diet - my lone fear is what may happen when I return to typical office commuting/work - I guess I may see beginning in the June timeframe as my area claims to be ramping up towards that.

I will come back to the this thread from time to time to check in - good or bad.

If anyone has any questions for me - please reach out either via this thread of a PM - I really want to help.

I have an exercise routine and I have the basics of a healthy diet - and would gladly help anyway that I can. Physically, I am more fit that I may have ever been. And at my worst, I was getting spinal injections and periodic nerve ablations in the lumbar region of my back - have not had ANY of that since winter 2019 - so if diet and excercise can help this old man, it can help anyone.

Congrats on the milestone, that's amazing!

Meal prepping will be your best friend when you return to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back