Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
It will come as no surprise that on release day of Callaway’s new Apex Pro Series lineup, the irons will garner the foremost share of focus and attention, but for some of us, the inclusion of a brand new Apex UW could turn that on its ear. You see, if you have read along on THP at any given time over the past almost two years then you know, the Apex UW has achieved cult status and then some.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great write-up @Jman . I know you’re a huge fan of the UW, have you had a chance to hit the New vs. Old ? Can’t wait to hear your thoughts. I know you will soon have them in play if you don’t have them yet.

Will it be the 21° still or is it now 23°?

I'll go ahead and say this is my last favorite of the releases in terms of changes. It looks a little cheesy to me. Bit of throwback coloring/look. Will still be amazing, but a little eh.

Love my dub! Will see if this is better.

Loft options are at the bottom of the article. No 21 currently.
Read that and it said the same options is what I was curious about since last release was 17°,19°, and 21°.

Hope it’s the 23° as I’m all in on that, high launch and land like a feather.

The UW will continue its success as we saw with the OG. A 23* would make a great transition in my bag. I’m ready to learn more and like the aesthetics of this one.

Visually, I think this is a big downgrade from the original UW. Looks a bit like the 2015 Big Bertha Hybrid. The OG was much cleaner imo.

Will definitely swing a few times with these to compare to the original.

Agree with some of the other thoughts that the look was more interesting in the older model. Almost like we know developed this club to work so we didn’t dabble with much branding. This version seems to loose that.

That said, love the change in shaft. I never quite got along with the stock shaft and never caught a demo day where they had options. I tend to get along with the MMT so excited to give this one a few cuts in the bay with all the love the old version got around here

More forgiveness and speed retention sounds like a winner. Will be honest and say I’m disappointed that they are not expanding the loft options.

More forgiveness and speed retention sounds like a winner. Will be honest and say I’m disappointed that they are not expanding the loft options.
Or go from 2* to 3* increments, if you do not want to have more skus. 17/20/23 would make a lot more sense imo.

IMG_5542.jpegIMG_5543.jpeg

I like how they didn’t stay from the looks on the top from the original.

At setup it looks really similar and I think that shaping was something people really liked from the first iteration.
It sits dead square to my eye, but I have not measured it yet. That will be done later today.

I like seeing the refresh with some of their newer internal tech and so glad they didn’t mess with the looks. Apex UW wasn’t a club I thought would be in my bag but I have used the heck out of it these past 2 seasons.

That UT is going to slip in so nice to the pro set. My goodness.
But the new UW looks bonkers. Everything about it screams “just missed the fairway, I gotchu”. Cannot wait to see this in the wild. Wow.

This was the most excited I was reading a thread title for a while. In JB's pic it looks almost identical at setup to the old one. So the article was a typo? The 21 stays and there will be no 23. Gotcha. Not as exciting to me as it was reading it will be a 23* option. Hopefully we can get them bent a couple degrees weak from Callaway. Interesting switch to Mitsu shafts. Specs look identical to the old ones. Can't wait to try these.

Really curious to see the feedback on this club. I love the current version, but Callaway website mentions multiple times this a "better players" club. Almost seemingly going out of their way to want to make a point of that. I guess the old Apex was the same way, but makes me wonder a bit if it's really gonna work for everyone like the current version.

Time will tell. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on it though. Like the looks of it and the batwing tech sounds cool.

Back