2024 TaylorMade TP5 and TP5x Golf Balls

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
TaylorMade has believed that the TP5/TP5x golf ball is the most complete golf ball on the market since its introduction in 2017. The company has traditionally released an updated version of this line every two years, each with some improvements. In 2019, the Speed-Layer system was brought to the masses to boost speed, and in 2021, a new Tour Flight Dimple pattern was added to improve aerodynamics and performance in windy conditions. With three years since the last version, TaylorMade has been working to ensure that the 2024 iteration will be the most significant update yet. Today, the wait is finally over as TaylorMade unveils their newest TP5 and TP5x golf balls.

Continue reading...

Great writeup @ddec ! Interesting take on going from the triangles to diamonds on the pix balls. I don't know that I agree with their take just looking at the picture, but what do I know. lol

interesting that the TP5 will be higher launching now than TP5x. In the pas I always preferred TP5 and Bridgestone Tour B XS bc of the lower launch and higher spin

As someone who tends to launch high with lower spin bc of a shallow attack angle im not sure what ball I would go with now

Instructor gave me a couple sleeves of the TP5 to test and they had QR codes to review them for TM. Only a little time with them so far but they’re definitely clicky and firm to me personally especially against the CT and CTX. Distance wise they kept up with the CTX fine.

great write up @ddec!

I find these quite interesting. I’m not sure how I feel about the diamonds vs the triangles, but I understand the concept and like it.

I’m going to be honest, maybe it’s just me but their performance matrix while it had a lot of information, kind of made it hard for me to discern which model would be right for me. Not sure how that will work for average person playing golf. I guess at $54.99 a dz they are targeting a much better player who knows what they want in each category.

Instructor gave me a couple sleeves of the TP5 to test and they had QR codes to review them for TM. Only a little time with them so far but they’re definitely clicky and firm to me personally especially against the CT and CTX. Distance wise they kept up with the CTX fine.

That’s a really cool opportunity there! Thanks for the feedback.

interesting that the TP5 will be higher launching now than TP5x. In the pas I always preferred TP5 and Bridgestone Tour B XS bc of the lower launch and higher spin

As someone who tends to launch high with lower spin bc of a shallow attack angle im not sure what ball I would go with now
As always I'd say verify that for yourself. With the higher spin things don't always work out exactly as advertised.

Had these in play a lot over the last 6 months. The sound and feel difference with speed wrap is pretty noticeable. And quick.

They definitely have more click than some on shorter things but the cover itself is actually really soft. It was interesting to hear the TXG guys react differently to that. 5 feels softer overall. And the full shot feel is very satisfying imo. Can definitely tell the difference there between these and last generation.

Honestly the separation between them overall wasn't as much as I thought it would be for me. Which makes me wish I'd spent more time with the TP5 during that time. Some thoughts and data on all of it for me in the vid, but a bunch of THPers have had these in play so I'm curious for some of their feedback too.

Last edited:
great write up @ddec!

I find these quite interesting. I’m not sure how I feel about the diamonds vs the triangles, but I understand the concept and like it.

I’m going to be honest, maybe it’s just me but their performance matrix while it had a lot of information, kind of made it hard for me to discern which model would be right for me. Not sure how that will work for average person playing golf. I guess at $54.99 a dz they are targeting a much better player who knows what they want in each category.
I was saying the same thing to my wife.

When their driver distance starts at long do I just not play those balls at all?

I think the write up is great and I really like the technology in them. I like the softer sound which I think most people do but that longer distance would always be nice.

Had these in play a lot over the last 6 months. The sound and feel difference with speed wrap is pretty noticeable. And quick.

They definitely have more click than some on shorter things but the cover itself is actually really soft. It was interesting to hear the TXG guys react differently to that. 5 feels softer overall. And the full shot feel is very satisfying imo. Can definitely tell the difference there between these and last generation.

Honestly the separation between them overall wasn't as much as I thought it would be for me. Which makes me wish I'd spent more time with the TP5 during that time. Some thoughts and data on all of it for me in the vid, but a bunch of THPers have had these in play so I'm curious for some of their feedback too.

wow there's virtually no difference there at all. I did a ball test last year with TP5, TP5x and the LA Golf ball and there was a clear difference. I saw exactly what was described on the box comparing the differences between TP5 and TP5x

Glad to see they improved the speed bc the last version definitely lacked compared to other balls I ended up playing last year

Received a note from Taylormade a few days ago that i will be receiving some of the TM 24's for testing....looking forward toes whats new in these. Thanks for the great write up @ddec

wow there's virtually no difference there at all. I did a ball test last year with TP5, TP5x and the LA Golf ball and there was a clear difference. I saw exactly what was described on the box comparing the differences between TP5 and TP5x

Glad to see they improved the speed bc the last version definitely lacked compared to other balls I ended up playing last year
Yeah I was really surprised by some of it. I've healed up since that vid and been hitting the 5 off the tee a little more, and it's a really interesting ball for me and my needs. The 5x is long, but the 5 is no slouch at all and doesn't seem to get hung up in the air like in the past.

That was really a great article @ddec . Packed with info. The ball sounds really good too. I'd probably default to trying TP5 first by the sounds of things.

Also, not to be a negative Nancy, but this release was the loosest, weirdest thing I've even seen 😂 If you're going to seed half the globe, including YouTube, what is the point of a mid-February embargo.

Also, not to be a negative Nancy, but this release was the loosest, weirdest thing I've even seen 😂 If you're going to seed half the globe, including YouTube, what is the point of a mid-February embargo.
Loose and weird... I like that! 😆. And it really was. The number and range of people I came across who had them was crazy. And the 1st Edition sale in stores was something I'd never seen before. People were sending me pictures of them just sitting on the normal shelves. It was definitely a different approach to things.

Kind of confusing that they claim their X ball is basically the opposite of what many others claim their X ball is.

As i've posted here before, i obtained a 2024 TP5 through nefarious means some months ago, and have been diligently testing it while trying to avoid being apprehended by mercenaries (in my head , this is what is happening)

I do agree the TP5 is really, really long. It was a good 1-2yds longer on a trackman then any other ball i've tested. But i'm not really sure i saw the higher spin and launch i was looking for , and have somewhat seen with a ball like the CTx

If you are not looking for higher spin or launch, this is a bad*** ball.

I'm looking forward to the new tp5, since I play that ball. I don't mind click and actually like firm feel. The Bridgestone equivalent feels too soft for me. I need that spin and height. The last version spun more than Prov1x for me.

New core and sounds great, love the comparison to speed foam because it makes sense but do they perform? I 'm with others too, I don't get why the X is the lower flighted and less spin version.

And ordered. I've been waiting for this day for a while.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 8.29.42 AM.png

Had never really tried the TP5 until last summer at @OhioGolfer 's Member Guest and I honestly came away a bit surprised at how much I liked them. I had heard a lot of negativity, but for me I felt like they performed well.

I will give the 2024 version a run at some point this year I'm sure

Nice! Saw those go up late last night. First ones they had on there. Sleeves are lighter if you haven't seen them.

View attachment 9242828
Nice!

I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed the PIX clearpath alignment. I'm not one for liking lines on golf balls I feel like it messes with my eyes and I have a lot of trouble lining them up. I didn't run into that with the clearpath alignment. Maybe because it's essentially a larger blank space that I'm setting to my intended line but whatever it is I like it and now that I'm becoming a decent putter watching it roll end over end and disappear into the hole is VERY SATISFYING.

Bonus is TM makes some of the coolest special editions out there so maybe now I jump head-first into that collection obsession in 2024. :ROFLMAO:

Nice Write up @ddec

Seems strange that this is not on the TM website:
Located on every TP5 golf ball box’s cover is a QR code that leads to a ball recommendation tool. Answer twelve relevant questions and TaylorMade will suggest the TP5 golf ball that best matches your playing style.

All of the masses that got to test these balls out & I wasn't one of them? Damn LOL :) I'd like to compare the TP5 with the CT though. The CT has been a good ball for me so far.

Back