2024 Titleist Vokey SM10 Review

Tried out the SM10 wedges at a Titleist demo at our golf course this morning.
Very impressed with the spin and control I was able to get with green side chipping.

Really liked the 12D bounce on the 56 wedge I was using. Really easy to move through the turf specially on tight lies.

PXL_20240414_032537077.jpg

Had my Vokey fitting last Friday for the Vokey Experience in a couple weeks. We'd had quite a bit of rain here the past couple of days, and I knew that we might do most of the fitting off of mats using the Vokey fitting app. That was indeed the case. I met my fitter, Andrew Saupe the regional Titleist fitter, a few minutes before our scheduled time. We did some small talk and he asked about my game, where I play, general getting to know my golf game. He then had me take as much time as I needed to warm up. I did some light stretching and half swings working into full swings eventually. He had me start by hitting my 7 iron. This was for him to get a baseline on my overall swing and ball path.

Then we started with wedges. He had me hit my current gap wedge (48deg). He then had me hit my current 60deg wedge, on older Vokey. That was for gapping purposes. We talked at length about my club options. I'd gone into the fitting expecting to replace my gap wedge along with a 54 and 60, which is my current setup. His recommendation based upon my distances, was to keep my existing 48deg gap, and do a 52, 56 and 60 wedges. We talked about the rest of my bag during this discussion and focused on my 4 iron which I almost never hit. From an overall bag perspective, he thought getting rid of the 4 iron and adding the three wedges would give me more flexibility. Part of this discussion was answering some questions in the fitting app. Think of the online Vokey tool, but taken to a more in-depth level with more granularity. The app works in conjunction with Trackman and uses swing data to and your inputs to recommend different wedges. He showed me everything on-screen as he was doing it.

Then we really started hitting the new SM10s. I hit several shots with 8 and 12 deg bounces with the 52 in the F grind (only grind available on a 52). Then we hit several 56deg options in different bounces and grinds and a couple of different shafts. Finally, we hit different combinations in the 60 as well. With the 56 and 60, we also opened up the face for some lob shots. Based on the swing data that Trackman collects and the inputs we completed about my game, the app then recommended the 3 different wedges with a % match to the inputs about my game. The 52 recommendation was clearly the 8 deg bounce and we both agreed that I hit that better than the 12. The other two clubs offered choices that were closer, but still with a preference. At this point, we took the 56 and 60 club options to the chipping green area and did some bunker work. The sand was pretty wet from all the rain, but we still got good results. After the bunker, we did some chipping around the green as well. The bunker and chipping work confirmed what the app had recommended as the best fits for my game.

In the end, I ended up with the nickel finish with 52.08 in F grind, 56.10 in S grind, and 60.10 in S grind all in the standard Vokey wedge flex shaft and all at + 1/2". The whole process went about 90 minutes we but talked alot, some of which wasn't relevant to the fitting. In the end, I'm very happy with the fitting and use of the app. He was very knowledgeable about Titleist and offered some swing advice, particularly in the bunkers with the wet sand. I'm thinking about irons next year and if Titleist is in the running I'll definitely have Andrew do a fitting.

What is everyone’s preferred finish now that many have been able to see them? My fitter said that the nickel finish has been the most popular with his customers.
I would more than likely go nickel. Might get a chance in the next few days to get my hands on them.

Somehow, I left my lob wedge at the indoor practice facility I frequent and had no lob wedge when I was on the course. @GolfFest let me use his Vokeys. I can confirm that the T grind does not work for me at all, but the M grind was wonderful. I am glad that I was fit into two M grinds for the Vokey experience.

Somehow, I left my lob wedge at the indoor practice facility I frequent and had no lob wedge when I was on the course. @GolfFest let me use his Vokeys. I can confirm that the T grind does not work for me at all, but the M grind was wonderful. I am glad that I was fit into two M grinds for the Vokey experience.
I think you’ll like the M when you get them in the right lofts.

I’m considering M for the lob wedge this next time around instead of the lowest bounce option.

Clipped a couple of these today at DSG and personally didn't feel any difference than my SM9 58 degree. Not as soft as the Ping s159 or Mizuno T24. Results were good.. theres a reason they are popular but this one isn't earth shattering to me

I'll start off by saying awesome review @Jman. I am late in reading it, but I found in my fitting yesterday the same that you did regarding progressive CG to flatten things, and class leading spin. Read on, dear friends...

I set up a fitting at my usual facility (Sittler Golf in Sinking Spring, PA) with Michael Parker from the Titleist Fit Crew. I said back tail end of last year that I would get fitted when the SM10 came out, and combine that promise with some recent wedge struggles and enough rounds under the belt this year, I felt the time was right to make it happen. We did it yesterday and I'm really pleased with the results.

TL;DR: I ended up fitting into and purchasing SM10's in the nickel finish in 52-12F and 58-14K (bent 1* strong) configurations, both bent 1* flat, with KBS Tour Stiff shafts and Lamkin Crossline Cord grips. I'm coming from SM9's chrome in 52-12F and 56-10S with stock DG shafts.

We started with a quick review of my game, setup and goals. I shared that I don't currently feel I'm a great wedge player, and that I try to keep the ball on the ground whenever possible (putting, rolling chips or low punch pitches). I also shared that I am not currently carrying a lob wedge and don't feel like I need it in my game, as I don't like to full swing sub sand wedge so I don't need the gapping down there, and I have a tendency to catch wedges fat and/or not hit them confidently so I often leave the lob wedge well short. I also like having the TSR2+ in there as another tee option / for additional gas on attacking par 5's. So our initial thought was to go in assuming a 52/56 setup and adjust from there.

He had me hit a few full, pitch and open face pitch shots with my clubs, then the same with the SM10's he was baselining, with stock setups. This established my delivery on these type of shots, which is neutral to slightly shallow, tending slightly shallower on the pitches than on the full shots. The fit tool recommended the 52-56 setup with 12F bounce/grind - we were seeing good distance gapping and launch angles, lower than my SM9's which was great - and then we headed out to the pitching and sand area to confirm some things.

I hit a few full shots off the grass where he confirmed that a higher bounce option is ideal for those shots, combating my tendency to get them high on the face at times. Then over to the pitching and sand area. We hit some open face pitches over a bunker with the 56 which was working out well, but I tended to fat them a bit as a miss then overcompensate with a thinny. He then handed me the 58-14K to see what happened and I was clipping it PERFECTLY. Crisp with plenty of spin on those open face shots.

In the bunker, he gave me a little mini-lesson first as I had shared I have very low confidence in the bunkers. I'll share more on that in another thread, but it really helped. Cut to the wedges, I started with the 56-12F and it was better than my wedge but I still had a tendency to dig it and not swing hard enough due to low confidence. He handed me the 58-14K and it was night and day. Everything was at least coming out of the trap, and I hit several truly good bunker shots. It's been a while since I could say that. He said the K grind is supposed to be the "ultimate sand wedge" and I can see why.

Lastly, we went back inside to the launch monitor to try one more thing. He plugged the KBS Tour in my irons into the 52* wedge and had me hit it. It worked beautifully - contact was better, spin was better and the weight blended much better with my irons. He also liked the idea of a slightly lighter weight for bunker shots, as it might encourage me to put a little more speed through the ball as that's my biggest issue. Lastly we just settled on grips, finish and details and we were all set.

So in a couple weeks, I'll have a new wedge setup in hand! Michael was a great fitter and this wedge fitting really dove in deep to how I actually use wedges, turf conditions, and my strengths and shortcomings to arrive at a good setup. Highly recommend Titleist's wedge fitting to anyone who wants to really dial in their setup. I'm sure I'll have more to report once I get them in hand as to how it's working out in practice, but I'm optimistic.

I'll start off by saying awesome review @Jman. I am late in reading it, but I found in my fitting yesterday the same that you did regarding progressive CG to flatten things, and class leading spin. Read on, dear friends...

I set up a fitting at my usual facility (Sittler Golf in Sinking Spring, PA) with Michael Parker from the Titleist Fit Crew. I said back tail end of last year that I would get fitted when the SM10 came out, and combine that promise with some recent wedge struggles and enough rounds under the belt this year, I felt the time was right to make it happen. We did it yesterday and I'm really pleased with the results.

TL;DR: I ended up fitting into and purchasing SM10's in the nickel finish in 52-12F and 58-14K (bent 1* strong) configurations, both bent 1* flat, with KBS Tour Stiff shafts and Lamkin Crossline Cord grips. I'm coming from SM9's chrome in 52-12F and 56-10S with stock DG shafts.

We started with a quick review of my game, setup and goals. I shared that I don't currently feel I'm a great wedge player, and that I try to keep the ball on the ground whenever possible (putting, rolling chips or low punch pitches). I also shared that I am not currently carrying a lob wedge and don't feel like I need it in my game, as I don't like to full swing sub sand wedge so I don't need the gapping down there, and I have a tendency to catch wedges fat and/or not hit them confidently so I often leave the lob wedge well short. I also like having the TSR2+ in there as another tee option / for additional gas on attacking par 5's. So our initial thought was to go in assuming a 52/56 setup and adjust from there.

He had me hit a few full, pitch and open face pitch shots with my clubs, then the same with the SM10's he was baselining, with stock setups. This established my delivery on these type of shots, which is neutral to slightly shallow, tending slightly shallower on the pitches than on the full shots. The fit tool recommended the 52-56 setup with 12F bounce/grind - we were seeing good distance gapping and launch angles, lower than my SM9's which was great - and then we headed out to the pitching and sand area to confirm some things.

I hit a few full shots off the grass where he confirmed that a higher bounce option is ideal for those shots, combating my tendency to get them high on the face at times. Then over to the pitching and sand area. We hit some open face pitches over a bunker with the 56 which was working out well, but I tended to fat them a bit as a miss then overcompensate with a thinny. He then handed me the 58-14K to see what happened and I was clipping it PERFECTLY. Crisp with plenty of spin on those open face shots.

In the bunker, he gave me a little mini-lesson first as I had shared I have very low confidence in the bunkers. I'll share more on that in another thread, but it really helped. Cut to the wedges, I started with the 56-12F and it was better than my wedge but I still had a tendency to dig it and not swing hard enough due to low confidence. He handed me the 58-14K and it was night and day. Everything was at least coming out of the trap, and I hit several truly good bunker shots. It's been a while since I could say that. He said the K grind is supposed to be the "ultimate sand wedge" and I can see why.

Lastly, we went back inside to the launch monitor to try one more thing. He plugged the KBS Tour in my irons into the 52* wedge and had me hit it. It worked beautifully - contact was better, spin was better and the weight blended much better with my irons. He also liked the idea of a slightly lighter weight for bunker shots, as it might encourage me to put a little more speed through the ball as that's my biggest issue. Lastly we just settled on grips, finish and details and we were all set.

So in a couple weeks, I'll have a new wedge setup in hand! Michael was a great fitter and this wedge fitting really dove in deep to how I actually use wedges, turf conditions, and my strengths and shortcomings to arrive at a good setup. Highly recommend Titleist's wedge fitting to anyone who wants to really dial in their setup. I'm sure I'll have more to report once I get them in hand as to how it's working out in practice, but I'm optimistic.
Thank you for taking the time to read my dude!

Also, that’s some GREAT info and breakdown! Look forward to how your new setup will work out for you!

Thank you for taking the time to read my dude!

Also, that’s some GREAT info and breakdown! Look forward to how your new setup will work out for you!
No problem and thank YOU! I am very excited to get them in play - despite being fitted for many woods and irons, this is the first time I've been fitted for wedges. It was well past time to get the right setup for my game, I'm hoping this is it!

The outdoor fitting sounds great and I hope to get one when I am looking to get new wedges. Being fit into high bounce when your swing is shallow is interesting, but that would be the benefit of the outdoor fitting. Can't wait to hear how they perform!

54° and 58° I am between the S and M grinds. What you guys opinions on the two.

54° and 58° I am between the S and M grinds. What you guys opinions on the two.
I think that one is a hard call. I would say that if you want to manipulate your wedge to manufacture shots, go with the M grind otherwise, go with the S grind.

The outdoor fitting sounds great and I hope to get one when I am looking to get new wedges. Being fit into high bounce when your swing is shallow is interesting, but that would be the benefit of the outdoor fitting. Can't wait to hear how they perform!
It was definitely interesting to me as well, but the results definitely spoke for themselves. I did state that I most often play in softer turf and bunker conditions, so I'm sure that influenced what he chose.

I think that one is a hard call. I would say that if you want to manipulate your wedge to manufacture shots, go with the M grind otherwise, go with the S grind.
That’s what my fitter told me also but since I tend to hit shots mainly with a square face he suggest the S grind.

May go 54° S and 58° M

Today was the day for my Vokey fitting. I'll just start with a pic of the venue - Sandpiper Golf course in Goleta (just north of Santa Barbara). I've never been here before - gorgeous place. You can see the Titleist pop-up in the distance on the grass range.

sandpiper-1.jpeg

Sunny but very windy - have a dry front moving through. Got there a bit early to stretch then met Jim my fitter. I hit some shots to warm up then we discussed where I am and my goals. Where I am is returning from a 2+ year injury layoff (elbows), and now a few month into rebuilding my swing. I'm also on the wrong side of 60 so swing speed isn't something that is going to come back - I'm just trying to be consistent with my irons and now am working on sliding my low point forward a bit. I was very curious to get some swing data as I've been doing this on my own, and figure I'm about halfway sorted.

I self-fit into my current clubs other than driver (did a fit last month - also did a fairway fit but found my guesstimate choices couldn't be beat. My current irons are ZX5s and I've been dialing my swing in with those. I decided to try a Vokey last month as I figure there is no excuse for poor wedge play. I used to have a strong short game and my losing speed shouldn't screw that up. I picked a 60M with Tensei Blue AM2 R-flex, 1/4" long, basing it on my irons which was a guesstimate based on an iron fit back in 2019. I've been working on getting flatter, which was what happened pre-injury (went from 2* upright to 1* flat over the course of 6 months).

First I hit my PW which is 44" so he had a gapping baseline. It's funny because he asked me what I hit it and I kinda shrugged my shoulders and said, "I think about 105." I hit a few and sure enough he said, "yup, 105." Then he started handing me wedges and I didn't really look at what they were. I told him I was ok with replacing my AW (which is 50*), but I was really curious what I was going to fit into. We cycled through a couple of 50* wedges, and settled on the 12F as I hit that more consistently than the 08F and the trajectory was a bit better.

Then we talked about 54 vs 56, ended up hitting both in a couple of different grinds. I was between the 54 12D and 14F, and he asked me how I used that club - and I use it everything from full swing down to chips. We landed on a 54 12D bent 1* weak, giving me 5 degrees between the 50 and my 60, and also increasing the bounce one degree but still giving me some relief from the D grind to manipulate the club. Didn't even bother hitting other 60* wedges as I hit the M well and he said that fits a lot of different conditions. He did say I should consider using that from the sand - I historically used a 54 or 56 but he said the M might surprise me.

So the deed is done:

SM10 nickel 50 12F
std lie and loft
Tensei AV Blue AM2 R-flex +1/4"
Black MCC +3 wraps

SM10 nickel 54 12D
std lie, 1* weak
Tensei AV Blue AM2 R-flex +1/4"
Black MCC +3 wraps

Those will join the 60M in the same spec. I also got some info on my swing - 3.5* down and fairly good path so seems it is headed in the right direction. I did ask when he thought about me getting into T150 and he said absolutely, but probably not beyond 7i (I'm into hybrid at that point anyway).

All-in-all a great learning experience and worth the time/money. The money part is a non-issue if you order a club as the $100 goes towards the purchase. Now I just need to get a tee time at that course, but maybe not when it's gusting to 40mph 🙃

Last edited:
Back