2024 Titleist Vokey SM10 Review

I think these have the lead for 2024 now. As I found my swing a little more, I hit some SAUCY shots with these today. Only hangup for me is still needing to swap out the 60T for something else.

Also, hard ponder for the first time ever going bladed wedge into the PW as well….

Finally got to test the 56* 12D out of the sand today. 2 greenside bunkers, both on and in position...sandy par on one, just lipped for bogey on the other. What a revelation, so much better than my former TM which didn't have the right bounce for my swing. I'm actually excited to hit from the sand after today!

I think these have the lead for 2024 now. As I found my swing a little more, I hit some SAUCY shots with these today. Only hangup for me is still needing to swap out the 60T for something else.

Also, hard ponder for the first time ever going bladed wedge into the PW as well….
After a thread start and some more practice last night, the SM10 50F and 54M are staying, and I’m going to go FullFace 2 at the 58 because of what I want out of my LW and how I play. It’s a best of both worlds solution.

I think I hit a Vokey some years back, but for whatever reason I never gravitated towards them even though some of my best years were playing DCI irons a few decades back. My more recent setups had various Ping wedges and I still like the Eye2 grind, particularly in the sand. Yes, it has a face only a mother would love but evidently I'm a mother...something.

In a total redo of my bag after a long layoff, wedges needed attention. I had Eye2 in 55 (bent) and 60 with Recoil prototype wedge shafts. Great for me a few years ago, but now I'm 10mph slower and going lighter, figured maybe 80-90g tops for wedge shafts. As I'm rebuilding a swing, I figured a combination of set wedges and some "forgiving" wedges at the bottom would be the ticket. But I used to have a good short game - many hours as a young kid with PW and 7i chipping in the back yard. Then I watched a video with either Roger Cleveland or Bob Vokey saying something to the effect of, "you may not be able to bomb it long anymore, but no physical excuse for poor short game." I took that to heart and ordered up an SM10 60M with Tensei blue AM2 shaft.

The first day I used it I was frustrated. I was kinda all over the place - some brilliant shots along with some chunks and some scalds. Part of me starting thinking that I needed "forgiveness" and this was a mistake. But the other part of me is rather stubborn and likes a challenge - and also like the nickel finish :) . So instead I focused on some mechanical issues and was determined to figure it out. Now a few weeks in I love this thing. And it may be the first lob wedge I've been comfortable with near-full swings. Two days ago I was out in spitting rain at the practice trap/green, hitting 50y plus or minus pitch shots with a couple of wedges. Also have a Jaws 54 full toe raw I'm trying (hate hate hate the Catalyst shaft in that). I put myself behind a tree and hits 10 shots that all easily cleared the tree and 9 of them landed within about 15' of each other. The outlier was tugged left.

Have signed up for a Titles wedge fitting next month, we'll see how that goes but so far the SM10 has sent me down a good path.

Snagged a pair of these yesterday. 54/58 both in M grind. Can’t wait for the last of the snow to melt.

When I was doing my fitting for the Vokey experience coming at the end of the month, I noticed really good spin consistency, even on some slight misses. The Titleist fitter told me that I wouldn’t see as much spin with the Vokeys as I have been experiencing with the MG4s, but they seemed pretty close in the fitting. I am really looking forward to getting the Vokeys in hand and seeing how the M grind works for me, given that I will have that grind in two wedges.

Had a great fitting experience today for SM10 and worked through some fun discussion on grind options and bounce options based on the swings I was producing.

Surprised me to hear that I am not as steep as most fitters claim me to be. Maybe it's a wedge thing as I tend to be a bit less aggressive with how easy it is to cut through the turf by comparison to irons - hard to say, but a nice takeaway to think about as the scar tissue of other fittings weighs on me.

I've always been a firm believer in wedge shafts playing a particular role in the swing, and go back and forth on whether or not the shafts I select for my irons should bleed into my wedges. We landed on going iron shaft in the 50 degree since I almost always full swing it, and then utilizing the benefits of the stock wedge shaft (which I believe is S200) for my 54 and 58.

I've played my wedges bent one strong and typically bent one upright for years. I do that because of my dynamic loft, and it's the same thing I do with my irons. Where it could be problematic for some, my peak height and descent angles are exactly where they need to be with that setup, and it's going to continue to work very well for me. What I did shift from, is that I'll be playing the 58 stock based on the idea that around the green, having that toe elevated could have a negative impact on leading edge location - I'm going to give it a shot at stock and if it needs to be changed, it's an easy tweak.

50F and 54S is what I played in my SM9, and that will continue with SM10. The subtle versatility of the 54 is nice, but I want more of an iron experience out of my 50 and the F does a nice job.

The 58 was a wildcard. I really enjoyed my time with the M, but I am going to give the T a shot this time around based on experimenting with flops and open faced shots during the fitting. Apparently it is a massively popular grind on tour, and I'll look forward to seeing how it plays for me.

Long winded, very wordy, my bad. Mike was awesome, and I hope anyone looking to get a solid education on SM10 seek him out in KY and the surrounding States. His shared affinity for left dot ProV1 and perspective on shaft fitting made me feel like I was talking into a mirror for a bit haha - although i think he works out more than I do.

GO GET FIT!!!!
So honest question here, what were the benefits of the “stock” shaft for you in the 54,58? I hear a lot of people knock the price of Vokeys because it comes with a plain ole s200 but I’m sure it’s in there for a reason?

So honest question here, what were the benefits of the “stock” shaft for you in the 54,58? I hear a lot of people knock the price of Vokeys because it comes with a plain ole s200 but I’m sure it’s in there for a reason?
It’s there because it just keeps working for most folks imo 🤷

It’s there because it just keeps working for most folks imo 🤷
I just think it’s interesting (not a bad thing) that shaft has been in Vokeys forever. I guess if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

I just think it’s interesting (not a bad thing) that shaft has been in Vokeys forever. I guess if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!
Yep, it’s familiar, it’s cheap, and it works. Plus, I think they’re so fitting driven, they know there will be many that go that route and get a dialed shaft and grinds setup

at the speed a wedge should go, there's no real value in having anything particularly stout in there from my perspective. I've grown accustomed to swinging with control with my wedges, and I really like S200 in that slot.

I am not in @Canadan’s league as a player, but at my recent fitting, we tried some other shafts, including lighter weight shafts. I thought lighter would be better, because I have 89 gram shafts in my irons, but my flight was better with the stock shafts. Nobody wants a wedge ball flight that floats a bit and the stock shafts eliminated that for me.

Last edited:
at the speed a wedge should go, there's no real value in having anything particularly stout in there from my perspective. I've grown accustomed to swinging with control with my wedges, and I really like S200 in that slot.
Like I said not a knock. Theres just so many options I find it interesting how good that shaft is for a lot of people.

What is everyone’s preferred finish now that many have been able to see them? My fitter said that the nickel finish has been the most popular with his customers.

What is everyone’s preferred finish now that many have been able to see them? My fitter said that the nickel finish has been the most popular with his customers.
Easily the Nickel.

I am currently wavering between the nickel finish and the black, before seeing them in person I was all in for the nickel finish, but it was much lighter than I expected when I saw it.

I am currently wavering between the nickel finish and the black, before seeing them in person I was all in for the nickel finish, but it was much lighter than I expected when I saw it.
Interesting. When I saw them in person I thought the nickel were closer to the black than I expected

I play a black finish now, but that nickel finish really is the perfect in between black and chrome.

I'm going nickel in my new SM10s.

My understanding is that the nickel is not raw, like the black (It may be in the review write up. It has been a while since I looked, but that is what the fitter indicated.). I was more like @Trmpt98, in person, the nickel was lighter than I was anticipating. I went with nickel, but it was a difficult choice.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the nickel is not raw, like the black (It may be in the review write up, but it has been a wile since I looked, but that is what the fitter indicated.). I was more like @Trmpt98, in person, the nickel was lighter than I was anticipating. I went with nickel, but it was a difficult choice.
The nickel is a plated finish like the satin, correct.

The nickel is a plated finish like the satin, correct.
That's the perfect description of it, a satin finish. Not bad in anyway, just different than I was expecting in person. Tough decisions will have to be made on Friday when I order :ROFLMAO:

I'm so excited to get these SM10s in two and a half weeks at Ballyhack. Excited to hit full shots with them with my fitted shafts (usually hate full wedge shots) and can't wait to see all they can do for my game.

Back