2024 Wilson Staff Model Golf Balls

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
On January 12, 2024, Wilson Golf will be releasing two new Tour-level golf balls to replace the previous Staff Model series. Unlike the previous generation, 2024 brings two unique versions that offer fitting options for different types of players and swings. The company appears to be excited about the Staff Models and the fact that its Tour staff is reportedly putting them into play. According to the company, Brendan Steele, John Augenstein, Quade Cummins, Ricky Barnes, Martin Trainer and Willie Mack III are all playing either the new Staff Model or Staff Model X. While we haven’t been able to confirm this information independently, it would be a major coup for the company, as their presence in the ball space on Tour has historically been minimal at best.

Continue reading...

Wilson is another brand that has quality in the lineup. Brand players will be pleased with their performance.
FWIW I don’t think I am the only person who thinks white paint and yellow paint both feel and fly differently.

I know it's a minor thing, but I can't say I'm a fan of the shield graphic on the balls without the W/S in it. I think they'll be in a weird position on this ball - price it too low, and golfers will point out that it's "cheap". Price it where it is right at ProV1 level, and it'll be pointed out that it's not as good as that one, regardless of what their claims are.

I've played previous versions and actually enjoyed it's performance, so it'll be interesting to see if tour adoption has any relevance to how it's viewed by the marketplace.

@Hawk since Wilson didn’t provide any specific test results, will you be able to test these?

I know it's a minor thing, but I can't say I'm a fan of the shield graphic on the balls without the W/S in it. I think they'll be in a weird position on this ball - price it too low, and golfers will point out that it's "cheap". Price it where it is right at ProV1 level, and it'll be pointed out that it's not as good as that one, regardless of what their claims are.

I've played previous versions and actually enjoyed it's performance, so it'll be interesting to see if tour adoption has any relevance to how it's viewed by the marketplace.
I’m of the opposite opinion. I like the blank shield logo personally.

Good article Hawk, Thanks. They didn't misspell Wilson or Staff so that's a good start. The shield thing will be debated.Perhaps they could have saved themselves the hassle by doing away with it versus going half way. The proof, as always is in playing it.

• Staff
Good article Hawk, Thanks. They didn't misspell Wilson or Staff so that's a good start. The shield thing will be debated.Perhaps they could have saved themselves the hassle by doing away with it versus going half way. The proof, as always is in playing it.
The look is growing on me.

A lot of the “same balls” in the premium category it seems. With how their brand has been viewed lately will these be that much in demand?

The look is growing on me.
I actually like the empty shield, but believe I am in the minority.
I still can't wrap my head around the constant evolving logos from Wilson to Wilson Staff to Wilson Labs, back to Wilson, and now empty shield, but I kind of like this one and think we will see something a bit more uniform moving forward. At least I hope so.

A lot of the “same balls” in the premium category it seems. With how their brand has been viewed lately will these be that much in demand?
As I was reading the article I was getting these vibes as well. Nothing jumped out to me saying these were a must try. Maybe I'm just discounting Wilson to much these days.

As I was reading the article I was getting these vibes as well. Nothing jumped out to me saying these were a must try. Maybe I'm just discounting Wilson to much these days.
I thought the same would love to try in a ball fitting but I’m not sold on another 55$ dozen to just try. Hopefully the ball fittings locally have the option as it could be tremendous but if I’m looking at a shelf with Callaway, Titleist, Srixon, Bridgestone, TaylorMade, and Wilson at around the same price I’m looking at them in that exact order if the balls are similar.

I like the empty shield too but know its gives folks something to talk about that has nothing to do with how the ball plays.i might have saved myself the hassle. I believe they are trying to focus on the Wilson script or the big W in all of their equipment categories. They can't have several different logos on apparel and they seem to have gone deep into apparel.

Interesting claim regarding the testing results and ball speed numbers versus the leading balls. If true, and I see that they didn’t provide the results, that’s good. These could be very good balls. So, I have some guarded optimism and I’ll wait for further testing information from people on the forum who may put the ball in play.

I have been playing golf since the early 70s and can remember the original Pro Staff model ball from Wilson. I also remember Jerry Pate, sometime around 1980, win the Players with a orange version of a Pro Staff.

Glad to see Wilson back and hopefully they can get their marketing straight they make great products.

I actually like the empty shield, but believe I am in the minority.
I still can't wrap my head around the constant evolving logos from Wilson to Wilson Staff to Wilson Labs, back to Wilson, and now empty shield, but I kind of like this one and think we will see something a bit more uniform moving forward. At least I hope so.
That's where I'm at. I think the push towards Wilson, with the tie-in to their sporting goods, can be a good thing, but they have to commit.

That's where I'm at. I think the push towards Wilson, with the tie-in to their sporting goods, can be a good thing, but they have to commit.
I am going to begin some testing today since I am working with a few others.
I will put this precursor out ahead of time. Those that love the brand regardless of product, will love these again. Im confident in that.

I thought the same would love to try in a ball fitting but I’m not sold on another 55$ dozen to just try. Hopefully the ball fittings locally have the option as it could be tremendous but if I’m looking at a shelf with Callaway, Titleist, Srixon, Bridgestone, TaylorMade, and Wilson at around the same price I’m looking at them in that exact order if the balls are similar.
My swing speed is too slow for the first STAFF ball. Perhaps the X will be better for me. I still believe their Triad tracks better on putts than any ball I've tried.
Wilson would have been wise to continue the buy two get one free on these new balls to get folks like yourself a reason to try.

I really want to see how the Tour adoption plays out.

My swing speed is too slow for the first STAFF ball. Perhaps the X will be better for me. I still believe their Triad tracks better on putts than any ball I've tried.
Wilson would have been wise to continue the buy two get one free on these new balls to get folks like yourself a reason to try.
But with that I’m out 110$ on a ball I might not like :ROFLMAO: Hopefully I’ll find a sleeve to compare worse case if they’re not in a fitting option.

I really want to see how the Tour adoption plays out.
Does their current staff play a Wilson ball? I’m not quite sure as I think it’s Steele and Kis at the moment.

I would have no qualms about playing these balls. But I'm probably (definitely) not paying $55 for a dozen of golf balls, from anybody.

FWIW, those speaking of the price, currently Wilson has these for pre-order for a bit less than the MSRP.

Does their current staff play a Wilson ball? I’m not quite sure as I think it’s Steele and Kis at the moment.
I know somebody has or does. Barnes might. Personally, I don't care what tour guys play. I'm more suited for the Triad, Q-Star, ChromeSoft or whatever type ball anyway. And so far I cant find anyone to pay me to play any of them LOL.

Back