50degrees and colder is too cold for golf...

Normally i would say a high in the mid 40s with no more than high 30s to start or finish if I have proper layering. Getting over pneumonia right now so none of that cold air for a while

cold rainy windy golf weather makes you a better golfer.. we dont stop out here in the GPW - dress for it and enjoy.(y)

My favorite weekend rounds would be 45-50 since it is cold enough for most people to stay home and leave the course to me.

Normally i would say a high in the mid 40s with no more than high 30s to start or finish if I have proper layering. Getting over pneumonia right now so none of that cold air for a while

You have an excuse now but I am sure when you are feeling better you will be out there again.

@ddec and I implemented a 35° rule a few years ago. If the sun is out, it’s totally playable at that temp.

That's about where I'm drawing the line too - unless it's the after thanksgiving tournament we play every year or something like that. Glow ball was high 40s this year. It was VERY cold.

I’m going to see how much winter golf I play before deciding to get a cart cover and propane heater or a couple of heated vests.

Further to my previous dissertation , what is a propane heater doing a round of golf ??? lve never heard of a heated buggy, that said it doesn’t get that cold here but the wind makes up for it lol …

I think any introduction of artificial devices in order to play a game as per above ,,
should incur a penalty 😅…. Or issuance of probationary caution …. Next we will want pre warmed grips. ☺️

Due to lack of knowledge and the climate variety in US , it’s interesting to see and read the differing attitudes and what some call norms others call abnormal . And the amount of tolerance for temps we have, around the world.

Loved the comment playing in snow , wonder how you would read a green perhaps there, l got in fierce hailstorm a few weeks ago whilst midway down the 18th , no where to hide , 8 in hand into the green had no clue where it finished so have empathy with those conditions.

You have an excuse now but I am sure when you are feeling better you will be out there again.
I spend a month on the shelf with a bum hand then I come down with pneumonia. I caught two breaks I guess!

Further to my previous dissertation , what is a propane heater doing a round of golf ??? lve never heard of a heated buggy, that said it doesn’t get that cold here but the wind makes up for it lol …

It’s as you said, to keep you warm in the cart. I sat in an enclosed, heated cart for a bit in a round a few weeks ago. It made golf in 39 degree overcast weather with a 20+ mph wind almost enjoyable. Wind chill was probably below freezing as well. I’d much rather play in the 90+ degree heat of summer but if I can get out and make it work, I’m going to find a way to get on the course.

Love to play in cooler temps. It's a known fact that slow golfers stay off the course as the temps drop. Come to think of it, most golfers stay off the course as the temps drop.

Regardless, It's always a good round when I have the course to myself.

That's about where I'm drawing the line too - unless it's the after thanksgiving tournament we play every year or something like that. Glow ball was high 40s this year. It was VERY cold.
Oh man, glow ball is still a thing?!

It’s as you said, to keep you warm in the cart. I sat in an enclosed, heated cart for a bit in a round a few weeks ago. It made golf in 39 degree overcast weather with a 20+ mph wind almost enjoyable. Wind chill was probably below freezing as well. I’d much rather play in the 90+ degree heat of summer but if I can get out and make it work, I’m going to find a way to get on the course.
Iam with you , prefer milder temps , but either end of our spectrum here , doesn’t preclude me 😁from having a hit. Hottest we played was 115 f , your measure, was golf weekend away , the rest of the weekend was little less hot 37-39 deg c. You end up feeling like apiece of toast after a few days playing lol

Iam with you , prefer milder temps , but either end of our spectrum here , doesn’t preclude me 😁from having a hit. Hottest we played was 115 f , your measure, was golf weekend away , the rest of the weekend was little less hot 37-39 deg c. You end up feeling like apiece of toast after a few days playing lol
I’ve played in a 108 heat index and that was interesting to say the least. It didn’t help that there weren’t very many drink carts on the course. I’ve never played in 100+ temps, but I actually prefer hot to cold. I’m a wimp when it comes to cold.

I’ve played in a 108 heat index and that was interesting to say the least. It didn’t help that there weren’t very many drink carts on the course. I’ve never played in 100+ temps, but I actually prefer hot to cold. I’m a wimp when it comes to cold.
I'll take hot over cold any time!

<50* Scoring Today = -8
>50* Scoring Today = +2

You need to get over it @chile .

For me, depends on wind. I can bear cold temps with no wind down to like 40 degrees. With wind chill though I get too frosty around 50-ish.

I just played last week a couple of times, on Thursday I played decently with no wind, on Friday I played like garbage with wind. And it's not the wind affecting the ball, it was my cold hands ruining my striking.

I used to play if the temps were mid 30's with no wind, but no more. My lower limit now is 50 degrees with little or no wind. Arthritis isn't fun in the cold weather.

I was with someone last night in my team prep meetings that says she turns the heat up to 75, has a jacket on and a blanket over her legs all the time at work. If she still feels chilly she has a space heater as well.

I thought of this thread, obviously I don't know her or any medical accommodations but she's in the camp of people who would obviously say 50 is to cold for golf.

The boys team and I wrapped up practice at dark yesterday and it was 37. Was a damn good day of practice, and we had way too much fun.

Work outside in all kinds of weather. So golf can be played in a large range of temps. However I do prefer that if playing in low to mid 40s that wind not be blowing and sun shining. Golf in the 40s beats the hell out of welding when its 110.

Last edited:
Back