56 range buckets to better golf….

You got this no problem. It will all come back around.

@hadi05 I really like the concept of the think box and the play box. Maybe one session you could really work on not addressing the ball until you know what you want the shot to do and when you address the ball all you do is hit the ball.

You can relate that to really thinking things out in life as well and spend sometime contemplating that for this project.

@hadi05 I really like the concept of the think box and the play box. Maybe one session you could really work on not addressing the ball until you know what you want the shot to do and when you address the ball all you do is hit the ball.

You can relate that to really thinking things out in life as well and spend sometime contemplating that for this project.

@echico this is definitely something that I want to incorporate into what I will be doing. The intent really is to look at all aspects and reconstruct what it looks like as I approach any golf ball on the course in the future. The other side of that too, is that I really want to challenge myself in a philosophical manner as well. As I sat back and really thought about it. I wasn't practicing what I preach.... So much of what we experience on the golf course can very easily be translated into almost every interaction we have on a daily basis. I genuinely hope to come out of this much better all around. I hope to look back at the 56 punches I chronicle here as a great guide for me and maybe for others in the future.

Bucket #1 alignment to target…
IMG_0694.jpeg

In golf we know that we should align our feet, hips, shoulders and club face to the desired ball flight and ultimately the preferred landing spot. Of course depending on ball flight we slightly adjust certain things to manipulate the ball flight.

However, when any one of those things is not in alignment things go astray and can really make the round and golf swing difficult. The same holds true in our own lives. Our mind body and soul must all be in alignment to execute and be our best. Take time every day to reflect on your personal alignment and make adjustments as needed.

When we take time before every shot or every situation we’re presented with in life for proper alignment we’re setting ourselves up for success.

My random hole this week was a 450 yd par 4 on the range. Straight hole.

Driver, 7i into the green and used a 54W wedge when I went a little left of target.

I think this is going to be a really great and interesting thread to follow. I love your perspective. I’ll be watching. Can’t wait to read about you working through the next 55 buckets.

I think this is going to be a really great and interesting thread to follow. I love your perspective. I’ll be watching. Can’t wait to read about you working through the next 55 buckets.

Thanks @That post . What I leaned is that sometimes in golf and in life I get in too big of a hurry to ensure I’m properly aligned to my target. Sometimes, I wasn’t even taking time to clearly define what I was aligning too. This has really helped me and I look forward to growth on and off the course….

Be careful - beating range balls mindlessly with a flawed swing will only further ingrain the flaws. Definitely have a plan each time you practice, and good luck to you!!

You are 💯 correct! That’s why each range session will be methodically prepared for and have time for reflection after each session.

Bucket# 2 Ball Position
1702658195242.png
1702658233731.png

In golf we know that ball position can have a significant impact on ball flight and trajectory especially for the amateur golfer who can't manipulate the club head as well as a professional. The position of the ball can (should) change with different clubs as well. We as recreational players can get very sloppy with ball position and this can lead to undesired results.

The same holds true in our own life. Many times we have done something so many times we can become complacent and this can lead to accidents and/or a change in mindset where we take things for granted. Just like we found in alignment taking time to ensure everything is correct in every interaction will set us up for success. This also ensures that we don't take things for granted or become complacent.

I took the time after EVERY shot once I placed the ball down to readjust the alignment stick to the center of the ball, so I could get my ball position correct. I learned a lot. Mostly, that I wasn't anywhere near consistent. This will be in place for a while even though I will work on other things with future buckets. Might even do another bucket today. Who knows.

The hole today was a 130yd Par 3. I tried two different clubs a AW and a PW. My AW in the summer is my 125yd club and my PW is my 135 yd club. Based on pin position I would use one over the other. The important thing was in both instances I landed on the green.

Love the correlation back to our lives regarding complacency, and taking things for granted. Some times we need a realignment on our priorities, what's important. Focus, and consistency are the keys here, just like your golf game! Thanks for opening up and sharing this journey my man!

Bucket# 2 Ball Position
View attachment 9230496
View attachment 9230497

In golf we know that ball position can have a significant impact on ball flight and trajectory especially for the amateur golfer who can't manipulate the club head as well as a professional. The position of the ball can (should) change with different clubs as well. We as recreational players can get very sloppy with ball position and this can lead to undesired results.

The same holds true in our own life. Many times we have done something so many times we can become complacent and this can lead to accidents and/or a change in mindset where we take things for granted. Just like we found in alignment taking time to ensure everything is correct in every interaction will set us up for success. This also ensures that we don't take things for granted or become complacent.

I took the time after EVERY shot once I placed the ball down to readjust the alignment stick to the center of the ball, so I could get my ball position correct. I learned a lot. Mostly, that I wasn't anywhere near consistent. This will be in place for a while even though I will work on other things with future buckets. Might even do another bucket today. Who knows.

The hole today was a 130yd Par 3. I tried two different clubs a AW and a PW. My AW in the summer is my 125yd club and my PW is my 135 yd club. Based on pin position I would use one over the other. The important thing was in both instances I landed on the green.
I like the reflection on this one. Getting complacent is such a common thing for people and it is tough to get out of.

Love the correlation back to our lives regarding complacency, and taking things for granted. Some times we need a realignment on our priorities, what's important. Focus, and consistency are the keys here, just like your golf game! Thanks for opening up and sharing this journey my man!

My pleasure! I hope that maybe somebody else will find some use out of these posts. One day I can look back on this as well to see my growth and have some reassurance if things start to slip.

Good luck, sounds like a good routine to get the game back in check, wish you luck.

Bucket #3 The Golf Grip
1703106139879.png

One of the fundamentals of the golf swing is the golf grip. The golf grip can be different for different people. There is one thing that it always has in common. It is our ONLY connection to the golf club and thus VERY important. Once we grip the club, the club becomes an extension of our body. As a amateur becomes more familiar with the game they may change their grip from weak to strong or neutral to have an impact on club face at impact. Often enough a grip that feels natural in reality isn't correct at least for many of us.

So today my focus was very simple. I wanted to ensure that I gripped the club in the same place for the club I was using and that I had a neutral grip. I took time to ensure everything was just the way I wanted. I wanted to make sure that I could discern if I had the same feel and associate that for the future. Other buckets we will work on other things with the grip.

In life our words are extensions of ourselves. Our words can influence a person in good ways or bad ways. Our words can brighten somebody's day or make it absolutely miserable. Regardless of what we say in that moment, it was still an extension of us. In life I am trying to be intentional with my conversations. I am working on taking time to think before I speak. I want to ensure that my words have the proper meaning and tone for the conversation at hand. I want to make sure that my words are neutral, not too strong, or too weak..................

Today my hole was a Par 4 that is straight and is 400 yds, but has an elevated green. It has trouble (water) between 260 and 300yds. So, if you aren't carrying the ball 300 yds, keep the driver in the bag. I played a 3W off the tee which went about 250yds and then used an 8i into the green. It felt great.

Last edited:
Even though I am only a few buckets in, I am seeing some very positive results in golf and for me as an individual.

Even though I am only a few buckets in, I am seeing some very positive results in golf and for me as an individual.

Good to hear. You have some serious dedication which I commend you for (y)

Good to hear. You have some serious dedication which I commend you for (y)

Thank you for the kind words. I knew that I’d need to shake things up a little bit, and I’d need a plan to follow to be successful. To be the best versions of ourselves on and off the course it takes dedication and purpose

I feel very blessed. I want to hit off grass as much as possible. However, the grass part of the range has closed for the season. The owner has let me go off to the side of the range to hit my range balls. While the grass isn’t great, it’s still grass. When I told him what I was doing, he followed me out and gave me a chair. He said to keep it out there and to take time to think on things throughout my bucket.

I do, so you’ll always see a chair there. I take time to reflect while I’m there on my range session and my personal reflections.

You’ll also notice that the bucket of golf balls is always behind my bag. I don’t dump them out. The bucket stays there. This forces me to take time for each shot, just like you do on the course.

I feel very blessed. I want to hit off grass as much as possible. However, the grass part of the range has closed for the season. The owner has let me go off to the side of the range to hit my range balls. While the grass isn’t great, it’s still grass. When I told him what I was doing, he followed me out and gave me a chair. He said to keep it out there and to take time to think on things throughout my bucket.

I do, so you’ll always see a chair there. I take time to reflect while I’m there on my range session and my personal reflections.

You’ll also notice that the bucket of golf balls is always behind my bag. I don’t dump them out. The bucket stays there. This forces me to take time for each shot, just like you do on the course.
Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your journey here, @hadi05. I'm enjoying your swing thoughts, as well as your personal introspections!

Being that I just like hitting golf balls, with a purpose, I hit between 200, and 250 balls a week. Every week. Add in a round, or two, that number could go to 285+/- to 420 +/- a week.

One thing I've found that is always constantly true, is that some days are better than others, while some are worse than others.

I just roll with what got that day. A golfer can't let their poor days get them down. It's all fun.

Being that I just like hitting golf balls, with a purpose, I hit between 200, and 250 balls a week. Every week. Add in a round, or two, that number could go to 285+/- to 420 +/- a week.

One thing I've found that is always constantly true, is that some days are better than others, while some are worse than others.

I just roll with what got that day. A golfer can't let their poor days get them down. It's all fun.
Awesome perspective! Thanks for that!

Bucket #4 bend from the hips (golf posture)

IMG_0864.jpeg

Golf posture is important to prevent injury and to enable proper movement throughout the golf swing.

Today my focus was very simple. When addressing the ball, I maintained an athletic stance. My knees were slightly bent and I bent from my hips to finish my stance ensuring that all the weight was on the balls of my feet.

Doing this made sure I stayed stable throughout the swing and I was able to wind up and unwind during the swing much easier due to better hip rotation. Bending from the hips also prevents back injury as you aren’t slouching.

Proper posture has physical, behavioral and spiritual meaning. Having proper posture physically promotes good health, prevents injury and shows self confidence. Proper behavioral posturing ensures that you aren’t misleading others in conversation. Spiritual posture is an area where sometimes we need help especially when things in life become very materialistic and chaotic. We must take time to ensure we have and maintain proper alignment (posture) with our ideology of our higher power. When we execute these with success we truly can begin to live our life to the fullest.

Today’s random hole is a 550 yd Par 5 with a dogleg right and large uphill elevation change after the dogleg. If you want to cut the corner you’ll have to hit a towering drive.

Todays clubs were 3W off tee, 5W uphill AW into green.

Your recaps of the range of visits have been very insightful. It's plain to see that you are benefiting from this a lot on a personal development level and I think that's great. I LOVE how you can tie golf practice to personal growth. The golf is the golf I'm sure it will continue to improve as your personal development does.

This thread is fantastic. Can't wait to read more.

Your recaps of the range of visits have been very insightful. It's plain to see that you are benefiting from this a lot on a personal development level and I think that's great. I LOVE how you can tie golf practice to personal growth. The golf is the golf I'm sure it will continue to improve as your personal development does.

This thread is fantastic. Can't wait to read more.
Thanks @That post! It’s been real fun so far and you’re right the growth is great.

Hadi, I love this man. I appreciate the incorporation of the life similes that you've been adding to your updates as well. Keep up the good work! Nothing like practicing with a purpose.

Back