56 range buckets to better golf….

Hadi, I love this man. I appreciate the incorporation of the life similes that you've been adding to your updates as well. Keep up the good work! Nothing like practicing with a purpose.

No telling what you’re capable of when you guide yourself with a purpose.

Played my first round of golf today with Hadi05 jr. He’s 10. We played at 4910 yds. He shot an 89 and I shot an 81 using nothing longer than a 7i. It felt great today and more importantly we had fun on the course!

Played my first round of golf today with Hadi05 jr. He’s 10. We played at 4910 yds. He shot an 89 and I shot an 81 using nothing longer than a 7i. It felt great today and more importantly we had fun on the course!
yeah that's all sorts of awesome.

That's what it's all about!

I am looking forward to bucket # 5 today. I have some ideas in mind for my focus, but curious does THP have any ideas? Right now everything is VERY basic.

Bucket # 5 Staying loose pre-swing

1703622213852.png

In golf one of the worst things we can do is become extremely tense before we swing. When we do, our bodies very rarely move in a fluid motion afterwards and the results are usually less than desirable. Many pros and amateurs alike will add a little waggle to their pre-shot routine to keep themselves from getting tense.

This session was a very difficult range session for me. I intentionally made myself stay over the ball longer than I would like and forced myself to keep moving so I wouldn't tense up. This range session took about 1.5x longer than any of the others to do for just that very reason. The reason why I picked this topic is that at times, I notice that I am making adjustments and changes at the very last second and tensing up. This is absolutely the worst time to be making changes to our golf thought process and/or swing.

In our own lives we can get analysis paralysis and/or tense up when we are on the spot. The end result may/may not be as we desire as a result of the unnecessary tension. This can add anxiety, depression and confidence issues into our own lives. I am learning to stay loose in my interactions on a daily basis and trying my best to remove triggers that would cause me to have analysis paralysis.

I added a few videos to show some of my progress and also the "exaggerated waggles". I am not a YouTube expert like @OldandStiff, so forgive the amateur hour and tons of background noise. :ROFLMAO:

My swing may not be pretty, but I am finding it suits me.

Today’s hole was a very tight par 5. It plays only 440 yds. The hole is long and straight and then the green takes a 90* turn. The green is small and guarded on 3 sides by water with steep slopes. The fairway narrows after 240 significantly with water to the right.

I used a 5i off the tee, 6i to get me close to the bend and used a 54* wedge to put it onto the green.

Last edited:
Love the work you're putting in.

Bucket #6 The Takeaway
IMG_0957.JPG

I did this bucket last week, but didn't post it as other things got in the way. I really wanted to get out there and do this one as it was a balmy 36* and flurrying snow. The less than desirable conditions would be a mental test for me on this particular range session.

The takeaway is a very important part of the swing. This is actually how we start the "coil up" of our body to develop power, how we develop a swing plane, sets our tempo and how we start to transfer weight. There's a lot going on in the takeaway, most of which is behind the scenes and we as amateurs may/may not be aware of. This doesn't mean we should be robotic during our takeaway to ensure everything is perfect, but it does mean that we should take time to ensure that we are consistent in our take away and what we are doing during our takeaway is giving us the desired results. For me that takeaway starts off slow, with my hands & shoulders taking the lead, moving the club straight back and when the club is at it's first parallel with the ground I want my clubhead to be at my spine angle or very close to it. This helps me make square contact.

I'm not going to lie here. It was REALLY hard to stay focused and not get in a hurry. It was cold, my mind didn't want to focus on what was going on as a result of it being cold. The wind was blowing as well. I left my beanie hat in the car. There were a bunch of reasons why I could become distracted or in a hurry, but I focused on not letting that get the best of me. This same thing happens EVERY day multiple times a day in our lives. It's what we allow the distraction to do, which defines us.

1704211513476.png

In life our "takeaway" could be that start to our day, start to work, start to a workout, start to a conversation with someone. I think the most important "takeaway" is the start to our day. It is important that we give ourselves the appropriate amount of time to do all the things we need before we start our day, being productive or enjoying a leisurely day. I've decided that my morning "takeaway" will have a few of the following things to ensure success, no more just going through the motions.

1. Give myself enough time to not feel rushed to complete morning tasks prior to leaving home.
2. Taking a few minutes for prayer (say hello, give thanks for what I've been able to accomplish and ask for guidance on how I should govern my day to do His will)
3. Take a few minutes for my family. Tell them I love them, greet them with a good morning and wish them to have a great day.
4. Set a goal for 1, just 1 thing I would like to accomplish for the day.

I'm excited about bucket #7 this week as it is some what related to this one.

Today's hole is a very tight and somewhat short Par 4. It plays 315 yds and you do NOT want to be short going into the green. Anything over 210 is VERY narrow and will cost you a penalty stroke if your off the fairway as the rough isn't very wide. I chose to use a 6i off the tee and AW into the green.

Bucket #7 the follow through….
IMG_1018.jpeg

In golf the follow through is very important. It’s how we finish our swing, we have our belly button to the target and it ensures we aren’t all arms in our swings.

After my takeaway bucket I really got to thinking. Do I truly finish my swing, or is a lot of it momentum. When I fatigue I don’t finish strong on my follow through.

I knew today was going to be a very frustrating range session. I was going to force myself to take anywhere from 1/4 swings to full swings with every club in the bag except the putter and driver. I had to finish each swing with a good follow through with my belly to the target. Here’s a picture of my fairway and desired target.

IMG_1018.jpeg

Well, I found out very quickly that I wasn’t finishing my swings and anything less than a 3/4 swing felt really foreign and hard to control. On a fair amount of them I didn’t keep the ball in the narrow fairway. This means I have work to do. One other thing I noticed, is that I actually control my follow through and swing better with a narrower stance. The results even through full swings were better with a narrower stance.

In life how often to we truly follow through, even on simple things. Are we truly following through or is momentum carrying us across that finish line. Is it harder to execute on big decisions (interactions) or smaller ones, or ones in between? As I sat and thought about it I realized that my follow through in my personal life needed a little work.

I didn’t master this bucket, so I think I need to revisit it as it leads into another area I want to work on.

Today’s hole was 300 yd par 4. It seems short, but tee box selection is important. There’s water from about 50 to 150 yds you have to carry, but there’s low lying tree branches so, you can’t tee it high and let it fly.

Off the tee I used a 5i and hit a stinger. It blooped about 160yds. From there I used PW and put it up on the green below the flag.

Last edited:
This past year has been one of the strangest in all my years playing golf….

My year started off great. Enjoyed how I was playing. I was blessed to be able to test some amazing golf iron shafts. See my signature to look at the DART V’s!

Then one round I imploded. That turned into another, then another, yep another until I just walked away. I felt completely defeated. I had to do some soul searching not only in golf, but in life as well.

I always tell my son that how we approach a shot and respond on the golf course is a direct reflection of who we truly are. I reflected on that myself and realized I needed a change…

****EDIT****

The significance of the 56 buckets, is that is what the local range had on Black Friday special for these. It has 2 cards labeled 1 to 28 and 29 to 56. So each punch will carry a significance for my both physically, mentally and spiritually. My goal is to do at least 4 punches per month, or more depending on the weather. I will reflect before and after each session on the punches significance.

So, here we are 56 buckets of range balls. Each bucket will have a literal and philosophical significance to help me improve my golf game and more importantly my life…

Hadi05~
Preface those buckets with some lessons, practice what you learned, and it will pay off. I did it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I've ever gotten more out of any thread I've read through. Keep up the fantastic work.

I'm not sure I've ever gotten more out of any thread I've read through. Keep up the fantastic work.

Thank you for the kind words! I’m not a golf swing expert by any stretch of the imagination and I’m probably off base on a lot of things. But what I am realizing is that a few little things getting out of sorts can have a big impact on the golf swing. The same thing can happen in our own lives as well.

@hadi05 you aaked for some suggestions. Might I suggest balance, which is very important in both the golf swing as well as life.

@hadi05 you aaked for some suggestions. Might I suggest balance, which is very important in both the golf swing as well as life.

Oh I like that one! I’ll think about how I can incorporate that into a range bucket for sure!

@hadi05 setting up a target and fairway while at the range is such a great drill. (Also a frustrating drill). Keep at it! Those partial swing shots can be lifesavers and also go to shots when there is no trouble between you and the flag. Half swing 7 and 9 irons have come into play a lot during winter golf.

This was exactly what happened to me back 2 summers ago (game wise) and what made me hire my coach. Personally I have dedicated myself to God more and to my coaches program and man the improvement I've seen in my personal and golf life. Not pushing religion at all, just stating what helped me.

At least you did not say "Golf Gods" because those gods giveth and then they taketh away at the wrong times... 🙂

Good luck ....

@hadi05 setting up a target and fairway while at the range is such a great drill. (Also a frustrating drill). Keep at it! Those partial swing shots can be lifesavers and also go to shots when there is no trouble between you and the flag. Half swing 7 and 9 irons have come into play a lot during winter golf.

You are 💯 correct on all of these points and when I reflect back on my game, this is what cost me strokes (getting out of trouble spots). The partial swing is actually a very important tool to have in our golf bag honestly.

Having a fairway and a target when at the range is critical to success on the course. Otherwise you really don’t have any feedback on how that shot went as compared to your desired target. Mindlessly hitting golf balls on the range does little for you other than maybe a little cardio…

The weather has had the driving range closed. I’ve got several things in the hopper.

This image I found on X (Twitter) will be printed and laminated to put in my bag, unless somebody here says these are incorrect.

Can’t wait for tomorrow as hopefully the range is open. It should be 40* tomorrow and the snow gone!
IMG_1128.jpeg

Last edited:
:( The weather has had the driving range closed. I’ve got several things in the hopper.

This image I found on X (Twitter) will be printed and laminated to put in my bag, unless somebody here says these are incorrect.

Can’t wait for tomorrow as hopefully the range is open. It should be 40* tomorrow and the snow gone!
View attachment 9237546
Always good to know why a miss hit happened. Tough to correct it mid round. Reducing the number of shot types on this image during your round should yield solid results. Once that 2 way miss pops up…

Always good to know why a miss hit happened. Tough to correct it mid round. Reducing the number of shot types on this image during your round should yield solid results. Once that 2 way miss pops up…

@dAS0 you’re absolutely right! I’m picking one shot shape (straight) and going with it. I’m going to use this diagram to help me determine if I had less than stellar shot shape to determine swing path vs club face angle. Hopefully this helps me a lot!

Bucket #8 the follow through….
1705958044469.png

In golf the follow through is very important. It’s how we finish our swing, we have our belly button to the target and it ensures we aren’t all arms in our swings.

After my takeaway bucket I really got to thinking. Do I truly finish my swing, or is a lot of it momentum. When I fatigue I don’t finish strong on my follow through.

I knew today was going to be a very frustrating range session. I was going to force myself to take anywhere from 1/4 swings to full swings with every club in the bag except the putter and driver. I had to finish each swing with a good follow through with my belly to the target. Here’s a picture of my fairway and desired target.

1705958382585.png

Today went MUCH better than last session. I reflected and I have grown a bunch since my last range session, physically, mentally and spiritually. Today, I had the right attitude going into the session and I was able to hit my fairway 67 out of 75 times with various amounts of backswing and I had follow through on each one.

In life how often to we truly follow through, even on simple things. Are we truly following through or is momentum carrying us across that finish line. Is it harder to execute on big decisions (interactions) or smaller ones, or ones in between? As I sat and reflected I realize that my follow through in life has improved. A big change which has helped me is getting back into exercising again. It gives me a lot of motivation to do well and I feel great throughout the day.

Today’s hole was the same 300 yd par 4. It seems short, but tee box selection is important. There’s water from about 50 to 150 yds you have to carry, but there’s low lying tree branches so, you can’t tee it high and let it fly.

Off the tee I tried a stinger 5W. I was successful and it went about 190yds. Used my AW with about a 3/4 swing and landed on the green. I was happy with that.

Here's a YouTube video of a full swing 7i. I am feeling much more stable in my swing since getting back into the GolfFOREVER program

Last edited:
Bucket #9 punch out to specific distances
1706047214272.png

The punch out is something that every golfer needs to have in their bag of tricks. I used this one to build on from the follow through. Today I used everything from a 5W to AW (not 54*, 58* and 62*) and I had to hit them to distances of 50 and 100yds. It was all completely random. No two back to back shots with the same club. I also threw in a few regular swings in-between to make sure that my body didn't just get used to the punch out swing.

20 full swings
35 at 100 yds
20 at 50 yds

At 50 yds I was able to get everything within a 5 yd circle of my target which was the 50 yd marker.
At 100 yds I was able to get everything within a 15yd circle of my target which was the 100yd marker.

Believe it or not, this was actually very hard to do. I am not speaking about how tight the circles were, I am talking just understanding how hard I needed to swing the club and to make sure I was accelerating through the ball.

Here's the results in pictures.

1706047241484.png
1706047274974.png

In life many times we are required to adapt very quickly to our surroundings. In many instances we are having to make uncomfortable or changes that feel foreign to us. What's important is that no matter what is asked of us, we keep our eye on the target and trust ourselves. When we trust ourselves you'd be surprised of what your capable of.

I had too much fun so I didn't do a hole this round.

Back