I'm guessing 80-85% ... 8 iron and in I'm fairly confident with the short sticks. But I can 3 putt. Like the best of them. So par isn't always guaranteed

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think some of you real good golfers might be underestimating your prowess here. I started tracking something very similar to this 20+ rounds ago; which club I used on every approach shot, how often I hit the green, got up n down if I missed, where I missed, how many strokes after the approach, etc.. The biggest difference from the OP's question is that my results also include perfect lies on pars 3 and a few would have been times where I was hitting 3 or 4 to approach a par 4 after going oob or behind a tree.

Even as a mid capper, 9 iron and below is a break point where results flip strongly in my favor. Not only do my greens hit and par or better percentages go way up, my misses are closer and more evenly distributed (left vs right, short vs over). With longer clubs I'm about 3 times as likely to miss short than long, and typically miss many more greens left than right.

Club / GH% / 'Par'%
3w / 6% / 22% (18)
2/3h / 14% / 23% (22)
3/4h / 23% / 42% (26)
4i / 26% / 32% (19)
5i / 26% / 37% (27)
6i / 27% / 46% (37)
7i / 32% / 42% (50)
8i / 49% / 60% (43)
-------------------------
9i / 58% / 74% (31)
pw / 61% / 67% (33)
aw / 68% / 78% (37)
sw / 86% / 92% (36)
9-sw/ 69% (94/137) / 78% (107/137)

The nightmare of a par 5 with a downhill fairway where I hit my longest drive of 269 yds, leaving myself an easy 8 iron approach to the green from the fairway, only to chunk it 30 yds into Gap Wedge range then chunk that into Lob Wedge range, then skull that shot over the green, chip on, and two putt. I threw the ball into the water hazard afterward. It had to be the ball. Yeah, I'll remember that hole forever.

I'll go 50% or at least I hope it's that high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say 55-65%. My problems usually aren't situated in the last 140 yards, but in the 250 before those.

70-80%. 9 iron or better in most conditions for me is 160 and in. My problem is keeping the ball in play off the tee to have those 9 iron and in shots. lol

I'd say better than 60% of the time. As long as it's 9 iron or under.

Very interesting feedback.

I played a round with some friends Saturday and was blasting my tee shots. I may have snap hooked one or two, but of the ones I didnt, I was 9 Iron or better on every approach. I stepped up to each shot with the utmost confidence, especially when I had a sand wedge. Looking back, I didn't hit many greens and came off the course a little disappointed.

I know the golf swing is tough to master, but I have to ask myself, how hard should it be to hit a decent sized green from 175 - 150 - 125 - 100 yards etc... If ever there was a full swing that we should be able to control, it should be these.

I think my next few practice sessions will be on 85% swings with my scoring clubs focusing on good contact. I have to imagine this could go a long way towards lowering my scores quickly.

Also, as someone else mentioned, I think a lot of respondents are under estimating their skills with scoring clubs. Aside from the occasional blade or fat shots, I see 10-17 hcp players hit a lot of greens.

Nearly every time, and possible birdie putt...my 9i is a fave in the bag and use it a lot...if I miss a green with a 9i, its not good...shaft is 36.25 almost the shortest club in the bag!

I think some of you real good golfers might be underestimating your prowess here. I started tracking something very similar to this 20+ rounds ago; which club I used on every approach shot, how often I hit the green, got up n down if I missed, where I missed, how many strokes after the approach, etc.. The biggest difference from the OP's question is that my results also include perfect lies on pars 3 and a few would have been times where I was hitting 3 or 4 to approach a par 4 after going oob or behind a tree.

Even as a mid capper, 9 iron and below is a break point where results flip strongly in my favor. Not only do my greens hit and par or better percentages go way up, my misses are closer and more evenly distributed (left vs right, short vs over). With longer clubs I'm about 3 times as likely to miss short than long, and typically miss many more greens left than right.

Club / GH% / 'Par'%
3w / 6% / 22% (18)
2/3h / 14% / 23% (22)
3/4h / 23% / 42% (26)
4i / 26% / 32% (19)
5i / 26% / 37% (27)
6i / 27% / 46% (37)
7i / 32% / 42% (50)
8i / 49% / 60% (43)
9i / 58% / 74% (31)
pw / 61% / 67% (33)
aw / 68% / 78% (37)
sw / 86% / 92% (36)
9-sw/ 69% (94/137) / 78% (107/137)

Very cool that you keep track of this. Every now and then I've had the thought that I should but just never managed to do more than keep track of GIR and fairways hit.

I would say in the 90% range. With a 9 iron I'm expecting at minimum par every time. With that club I'm taking dead aim at any pin location.

80% of the time. Bad shot should still hit the green so my 2-10 would be the result of a 3 putt or the occasional miss of the green with a poor up and down.

Very good. I would say maybe 70% maybe but I'm sure its better then half

This is by far the biggest weakness of my game. Capitalizing on a good drive (or at least putting me in good scoring position inside of 145 yards). I'll go with 15% and I'd honestly be surprised if it was that high.

Back