A Good Hotdog is Divine

maybe a controversial take, but if we're talking traditional non-jeujed up preparation, i think i prefer a grilled hot dog to a grilled burger. burgers are one of the few things both my kids enjoy, so we do them about a once a week on the kamado, and lately i've been insisting on doing hot dogs as well. hebrew national jumbo beef franks with yellow mustard and diced onion. *drool*
Agree. I'd even go as far as saying I'd choose a hot dog over a steak most days. A grilled Nathan's jumbo dog is in the running for my favorite food.

Robin Thicke GIF by The Masked Singer

You know what, that is 100% accurate and I've never even thought about. I've spit out some bad chicken breast, bad hot dogs are still just ok.
I threw away a “Denny dog” at the OM-Alabama game in 2015. Awful.

Agree, although good hot dogs are rare. These are our faves:

1699063405549.jpeg

I am not sure I have ever met a hotdog I would consider divine. They can be pretty good, and I enjoy them, but not sure they can reach past that for me.
Couldn't have said it better

I couldn't agree more. We have a Dirty Frank's here that my better half and I frequent and I thoroughly enjoy!

I need no convincing whatsoever on this. Completely agree.

Best on course hot dog for me was at one of the Branson Courses in the their snack shack. And they were free as well, I think.

Last edited:
Mostly agree, especially Dreamland but Buffalo Phil’s has damned good chicken arms.
Dreamland in Mobile significantly better than Tuscaloosa.

Truth.

Now I want a hot dog.

@JB do you have a brand you’re particular to?

I grew up on ballpark (gotta be beef or Angus though), so there’s a bit of a nostalgia factor, but Eisenbergs have become our favorite.
Hoffmans or Hebrew National.
Many will do though. Usually go all beef

I enjoy a good hot dog too. Honestly, even a simple no frills one hits the spot at times!

Does @GolferGal have a healthy alternative @JB
The ones @War Eagle mentioned below are good and I often will go with a turkey dog. I add deli mustard and sourkraut so those flavors pretty much dominate anyway. I grew up on hotdogs so I eat them, but I don't crave them or seek them out, but won't turn it down if that's what's being served either.
These are surprisingly good. 45 calories, 6g protein per dog.

large_7225fe7f-8b0b-41c7-91b5-c71b405b82cb.jpg

The turkey dogs are pretty good. Knew a little guy that had alpha gal and they were the only ones he could eat.

Chicago dogs rock. We just got a Portellos a few miles away, great because our only other genuine Chicago dog place recently closed, owners retired and the kids didn't want to work that hard....

Detroit Style Coney's, having been made here for over 100 years, have been perfected.

Rhode Islands appropriately diminutive New York System weiners are unique and delicious. Especially with that other RI specialty, coffee milk.

When it comes to making them at home, I always have either Kowalski or Dearborn brand natural casing dogs in the fridge or freezer. Grilling is preferred, nuked is OK out of the freezer in a pinch. Boiling is a sin.

Usually at home its mustard and onion, or with mustard, onion and a home made meat sauce resembling Flint sauce. (See Wiki link to Coneys) but I'll do kraut and mustard or a fake Chicago dog on occasion.

If anyone from the metro D area really wants to see a collection of excellently conceived and presented hot dogs, try Pheonix Coney Island, On M53 (Van Dyke) Between the Stellanis Assembly plant and Ford Powertrain. (Thats about 3 miles N of the GM Tech Center). I think they get more Big 3 vendors there than anything at lunch. LOL

Back