A Man Hitting from the Red Tee. Post your thoughts.

Dave, I say play the tees you enjoy the most! Like Jman said, the hell with everyone else. If it makes the game more fun, which is what it's all about then go for it! Many times throughout the year Maddog and I will will switch it up and play a red white and blue round where we just alternate the tee's we drive from just to switch it up and have a different look at the course and have different clubs in your hands that isn't the "norm" once you get used to a course. I could careless what anyone would think of me playing the "women's" tees!

Thanks Jimmie. I know you do that just so your old man will feel good about his game. Lol

I want to thank everyone for your input. I never imagined it would make 11 pages and counting. Canadan thank you for the USGA chart. This has been very enlightening learning all I have about yardages compared to my track.

Thanks Jimmie. I know you do that just so your old man will feel good about his game. Lol

I want to thank everyone for your input. I never imagined it would make 11 pages and counting. Canadan thank you for the USGA chart. This has been very enlightening learning all I have about yardages compared to my track.

lol....I always feel good about my game.....might not play well sometimes....but feel good about it because I am out on the golf course!!!!!!

Jman said it beautifully. Play your game, swing your swing and love YOUR game. Golf is what you make it, pure and simple.

I've found that playing from the front tees relaxes me a bit. removes the "need" for that monster drive.. and more often actually results in one.

Until I am competing I will play whichever ones makes the round most fun!

The only thing that could possibly be added to this discussion would be asking the committee to vote on adding something to the bylaws so that the schedule includes mixing up the tee usage on different weeks. We have a couple of weeks in our schedule that include everyone moving up one set of tees, as well as one week that is Red/White/Blue...6 holes on each. For a 9hole league, it would be 3/3/3. Some leagues tell you what order to go. Others, let you pick what 3 holes you used for each tee box.

I cannot remember that last time I saw a scorecard that actually called the tees "Mens", "Ladies", "Seniors", etc. People that call the red tee the Ladies/Womens tees are, IMO, pretty ignorant in regards to golf and golfing etiquette. Tee markers are based on a golfers ability to hit a drive a certain distance along with that players golfing ability. It has nothing to do with gender or age.

I did the math and let's just say I'd be miserable! lots of driver 5i, hybo or 3w for my approach shot on par 4s. sounds awful
Welcome to my game from the whites.

What tees should you play?

I think one should be hitting about a comfortable 8 iron into the average par 4 green.
This way the game will still be challenging, yet remain fun. I think forcing people to play from tees that require them to hit 5 irons or longer into par 4 greens is punishing especially if they're high handicappers. That's no way to grow the game.

Remove the gender labels from the tees and give ratings and slopes on all of them for both genders. Change the colors if necessary (don't use pink for the forward tee boxes). Don't just line out the white tees for women - give rating. Don't line out the red tees for men - give a rating. And there should be four tee boxes at every course from 5200 to 6600 yds. These aside from the championship tees. That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

EDIT: I've seen where the new courses are out to 7700 yds and have their "red" tees at 5800 yds. While I can hang there pretty well, most women I know will struggle from that distance. This is no way to grow the game. Of course these courses are probably charging $300 per round or private so who cares, right? Most of us who don't make $2000/wk won't be playing on them anyway.

There's a local course that did away with their red tees and it's whites are 5800 now. And from the blues it's pretty long. There are a few holes where there is no recovery from a poor tee shot. You cannot "still par the hole". You're looking at a double or triple because your ball is sitting in tall grass, and I'm not talking rough tall, I'm talking tall because we're too lazy to mow it grass.

Last edited:
This subject I believe is directly related to pace of play. People get so hung up on tee colors, often they play tees that are too long for their skill level.

Back