A Man Hitting from the Red Tee. Post your thoughts.

Freddie - do you agree with me that 6,511yards is extremely long from the white tees? ( I don't think I have ever played from white tees within a 100 yards of that total.)
Actually I don't think that is too long. Considering modern design course are stretched to 7400-7600 yards. 6500 from the whites would be standard. Most of the courses we play fall between 6300 and 6700.

Now, it may extremely long to some. But for me that is very comfortable distance. And I can see how some might think that is extremely long.

I think good for him. I am a very selfish person, the only thing I want out of other golfers on the course (besides those I know and am there with) is that they play at a good pace (not slowing down everyone else, and not pushing me).

In that vein, I would much rather see a group that hits it average distance playing from the Red tees vs seeing a 4 some that only plays a couple times a year tackling the black tees.

6500 is on the longer side for whites in my opinion, but not sure if there is another tee in between white and red? There is a course near me that is 6450 from the whites, but they have gold tees that are about 6150 and then the reds at 5800 or so.

A buddy of mine in Yakima, WA told me

Last edited:
6500 is long from whites around here. Most whites are in the 5900-6200 range on the courses I play. 6500 is common distance for blues.

6500 is long from whites around here. Most whites are in the 5900-6200 range on the courses I play. 6500 is common distance for blues.

Ditto as our course has our white tees in this range. Since our front nine only has one par 5 hole (par 35) it makes for some longer par four holes which allows for plenty of challenge for most golfers playing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play whichever tees my playing partners want to hit from - doesn't matter if it is short, long, tips - I enjoy the game either way.

I do feel that playing from the front tees though it forces me to get more creative on shot selection so as to set up my 2nd shot in a way which I can benefit the most.

I have about 1,000 questions/comments i could make about this, but I'll start with the following:

- You hit it 270 on a good day. Do you think someone who hits the ball 200 yards on a good day should play from the same tee boxes?
- If yes, why do you get the unfair advantage?
- Do you think someone is forced to hit driver - 3 wood - wedge on a par 4 is challenging themselves or not playing from the right set of tees?
- I hit the ball about 265-270 carry on average. Am I cheating myself by playing tees less than 6,500?

This attitude of a baseline for all is downright ridiculous. Course tee boxes are not built for prestige, they are built to accommodate every golfer. That's why we are seeing so many courses adapt a combination or "member" tee box that groups numerous tees to make it fair for a majority of the membership.

Don't look down on someone for wanting that same 9 iron into the green that you have. Praise them for ignoring the BS comments about wearing a skirt and teeing it forward to the appropriate box. Allow them to enjoy the same experience that you do without believing you reserve an advantage for being notably above average in driver length (allegedly).

Tee it Forward, and don't be a jerk when others want to do the same.

Screen%20shot%202011-05-24%20at%2012.35.13%20PM.png

I've always hear to multiply your 5 iron distance by 36 to get a base yardage. Comparing to this chart, it's pretty much right on.

I still like going off slope, for the most part!

I think no matter how high our handicap, our egos get in the way. I know I should play from the reds, but have not... This thread has made me want to go out tomorrow and play reds. A bit of trivia... A course that I played on a couple months ago in Japan actually had the red tee box labeled "Ladies" (in Japanese, of course).

I've always hear to multiply your 5 iron distance by 36 to get a base yardage. Comparing to this chart, it's pretty much right on.

Wow. I hope that isn't right. No way should I be playing that far back.

I have about 1,000 questions/comments i could make about this, but I'll start with the following:

- You hit it 270 on a good day. Do you think someone who hits the ball 200 yards on a good day should play from the same tee boxes?
- If yes, why do you get the unfair advantage?
- Do you think someone is forced to hit driver - 3 wood - wedge on a par 4 is challenging themselves or not playing from the right set of tees?
- I hit the ball about 265-270 carry on average. Am I cheating myself by playing tees less than 6,500?

This attitude of a baseline for all is downright ridiculous. Course tee boxes are not built for prestige, they are built to accommodate every golfer. That's why we are seeing so many courses adapt a combination or "member" tee box that groups numerous tees to make it fair for a majority of the membership.

Don't look down on someone for wanting that same 9 iron into the green that you have. Praise them for ignoring the BS comments about wearing a skirt and teeing it forward to the appropriate box. Allow them to enjoy the same experience that you do without believing you reserve an advantage for being notably above average in driver length (allegedly).

Tee it Forward, and don't be a jerk when others want to do the same.

Screen%20shot%202011-05-24%20at%2012.35.13%20PM.png

Spot on Dan!

One of the guys that I play with all the time would not move from the whites, no matter the yardage. His mentality was "Men play the whites and women play the reds."

I asked him why? He had no logical answer. I told him to play just 9 holes from the reds and see what happened. Lo and behold, he shot hid best 9 ever. He told me after that there was a big difference between driver, 5 wood and driver, 7 iron into par 4s.

The following week, back the whites... Smh

Haha, yeah I'll pass. That would make for a long afternoon for me.

I am printing this to present to the league. Doubt even hard facts will make anything change but at least I'm trying.

I wish you luck. I hope they understand. I did not play in our club championship this year for the first time since I was 18 (now 53). Our course, putts the back tees as far back as possible and the pins in tough spots for the championship.

While I have no real issue with that, the "men" (age 16 to 50) play from these tees. The seniors, (age 50 to 70) play from these SAME tees. Seniors over 70 play from the forward tees, same as the ladies. The normal "senior" tees are not used at all.

In 2014, the men's champion and the senior champion's scores were 21 strokes apart. There is something wrong with that picture. It is all water under the bridge now as we (wife, brother in law and myself) are moving to a new course in 2016, where they do it right (in my eyes) with four sets of tees based a age groups.

We have the 1st two tee times each weekday. Today, a foursome of "senior" men tried to rush down to the tee and get off before us even though they were told in the clubhouse their tee time was after ours. We did get out in front of them. Turns out they were playing the red (usually ladies) tees; even so, they had just teed off on 9 when we were going to the 14th tee so obviously just the set of tees used is not the sole contributing factor to slow play.

Our group has talked about moving up to the senior tee sand even the ladies tees some day just for the fun of it. Whenever I have moved up to the senior tees I don't really score any better because I tend to back off on my tee shots and end up hitting my approach shots from the same general distance as when I play the regular men's (white) tees. :) I'd be curious to see how I score from the red's!!

Haha, yeah I'll pass. That would make for a long afternoon for me.

Damn, if that's true, how far do you hit your 5 irons? And that distance is not within one spot either way of the driver chart? It is for me, I figured it would be for most.

5i distance works perfect for me. 6300 yards, a very ideal yardage for my game.

Damn, if that's true, how far do you hit your 5 irons? And that distance is not within one spot either way of the driver chart? It is for me, I figured it would be for most.
I fall between the 250 and 275 mark for driver so so where between 6400 and 6700 which is right in line with where I play by myself unless it's really tight.

195 is my 5 iron so that puts me over 7000 yards.

205 ish and 7380 yards would be a rough go.

My new 5 iron distance - 185-190, so just doing the calculation at 185: 185x36=6660 and that is playable, but outside of my comfort zone. That driver chart would put me about 6200 (driver is 230ish), which is more comfortable for me

Is this carry or total distance?

I did the math and let's just say I'd be miserable! lots of driver 5i, hybo or 3w for my approach shot on par 4s. sounds awful

Unless you're playing a competition type event where a designated tee box is to be used, play wherever you want to. Our senior group plays a blitz each week and the rule is, if you're 75 and up, you play the senior tees and all under 75 play the white tees. Not a problem as we all have a good time and the money usually travels around each week with a different winner. Fun is the focus :thumb:

Tough group there. I'm not sure I'll be able to feed myself when I'm 75.

I am a member of 2 central Georgia senior groups and also play in a weekly blitz at my home course, everyone plays the senior tees, at the blitz everyone moves up to the reds at 70 and in the other senior groups they move up at 75. For every guy that still hits the ball a ton there are 50 that don't, this seems to be a fair set up. Everyone is playing against their points in this system.

As I have aged when I travel I pick tees that are 6000 yards or shorter, other wise I hit mostly hybrids and woods into par 4s and if a par 4 is over 410 I will not reach it in 2 anymore, that takes away from the fun factor for sure.

LOL, I see some saying this is too far but it is right on the money for me, 5940 should be my yardage, that makes sense as to why I always look for 6,000 yards or less when I travel.

The 5 iron math works out for me too.

I am a member of 2 central Georgia senior groups and also play in a weekly blitz at my home course, everyone plays the senior tees, at the blitz everyone moves up to the reds at 70 and in the other senior groups they move up at 75. For every guy that still hits the ball a ton there are 50 that don't, this seems to be a fair set up. Everyone is playing against their points in this system.

As I have aged when I travel I pick tees that are 6000 yards or shorter, other wise I hit mostly hybrids and woods into par 4s and if a par 4 is over 410 I will not reach it in 2 anymore, that takes away from the fun factor for sure.

You should travel to Colorado - you could up that by 200 or 300 yards without a problem. :clapp:

A Man Hitting from the Red Tee. Post your thoughts.

LOL, I see some saying this is too far but it is right on the money for me, 5940 should be my yardage, that makes sense as to why I always look for 6,000 yards or less when I travel.

Old guys for the most part don't hit the ball far. Hell we need all the help we can get. With body parts failing, strength declining and fatigue coming on us sooner than golfers 20 or 30 years younger, it's hard to compete. Especially when we are playing from the same tee boxes as younger guys.

I say play the tee boxes that you enjoy. I play the ones we do on our blitz day because that is local rule. I've won a few times this year so I'm hanging in there ?

Golf tees should be considered gender neutral: we should all be playing the tees that allow us to enjoy the game.

My issue would never be with a man hitting from the red tees. My issue is with the people -- including the group ahead of my group today -- that play from the tips and then take a shot or two to reach the red tees.

Back