Absurd Resale Prices for Odyssey Versa Jailbird: WHY??

cm24

Proud 2021 Grandaddy Alum #ReptheG
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Saw a couple of these putters for sale on Facebook Marketplace today that were asking for well over $500 each for the Jailbird Versa. Obviously, I understand that the two individuals in the final group both Saturday and Sunday at the US Open had matching putters like this that were unique. My question is why is this trend specifically focused on the Versa Jailbird head (specifically on the resale prices side) as opposed to the CONCEPT that Rickie found with his caddie's putter?

I think it makes a ton of sense to find a large mallet head that fits your eye and feel with a slightly longer shaft, added head weight, and a thicker grip to try out and see if it works for you, but does it matter if its a Jailbird head compared to an Odyssey Eleven Triple Track for example. Am I missing something? Why does it have to be the EXACT same putter head, length, and grip as Rickie and Wyndham's?

There is a lot of hype surrounding this putter. Kramer Hickok, Carl Yuan, Jimmy Walker, Ryan Moore and Joel Dahmen were testing this putter at the Travelers earlier this week. Keegan Bradley has been playing one since 2021, and you already mentioned Clark and Fowler.

PGA Tour putting coach Stephen Sweeney had this to say:

No, it’s not hype. I mean, I think the biggest thing that people don’t understand with that putter is the Versa element to it; the black-white-black colorway. So it helps with alignment at the very start.

And then with the counterbalanced part of the putter, and the Versa together, the way they work together, it almost swings itself once you get it started. It’s very easy to swing on the correct path. So, no, it’s not hype. It actually does have some technology in it that helps it perform better.

Since 2016 I have been playing the "O" Works Tank #7 counter-balanced at 38-inches, and I don't see it going anywhere. It's not the same as the Jailbird, but it has some similarities.

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 12.50.02 PM.png

There is a lot of hype surrounding this putter. Kramer Hickok, Carl Yuan, Jimmy Walker, Ryan Moore and Joel Dahmen were testing this putter at the Travelers earlier this week. Keegan Bradley has been playing one since 2021, and you already mentioned Clark and Fowler.

PGA Tour putting coach Stephen Sweeney had this to say:

No, it’s not hype. I mean, I think the biggest thing that people don’t understand with that putter is the Versa element to it; the black-white-black colorway. So it helps with alignment at the very start.

And then with the counterbalanced part of the putter, and the Versa together, the way they work together, it almost swings itself once you get it started. It’s very easy to swing on the correct path. So, no, it’s not hype. It actually does have some technology in it that helps it perform better.

Since 2016 I have been playing the "O" Works Tank #7 counter-balanced at 38-inches, and I don't see it going anywhere. It's not the same as the Jailbird, but it has some similarities.

View attachment 9188274
I definitely didn’t realize Keegan Bradley was also using that exact Jailbird Versa too. This might be more of a @Luke WilliamsCG or Sean Toulon question for the Grandaddy team, but wouldn’t the concept work with any of the Versa heads then? It still doesn’t explain why it needs to skyrocket the prices of the Jailbird head. Best of luck to those willing to buy them! I saw a few older threads on THP of some who sold Jailbirds on here for like $100 a couple years ago

I definitely didn’t realize Keegan Bradley was also using that exact Jailbird Versa too. This might be more of a @Luke WilliamsCG or Sean Toulon question for the Grandaddy team, but wouldn’t the concept work with any of the Versa heads then? It still doesn’t explain why it needs to skyrocket the prices of the Jailbird head. Best of luck to those willing to buy them! I saw a few older threads on THP of some who sold Jailbirds on here for like $100 a couple years ago
That a number of touring professionals use it, and/or are at least testing it, may be the reason for the high price?

I play with a guy who’s been lights out with this putter for years. His buddy bought one and hated it.

Putting is all about getting the right amount of toe hang for your stroke. Once you know that, choose the head you like and shaft length next.
I used the same putter (Yes! Tracy) for over 15 years. I saw the benefits of a mallet when I was chosen as a tester for the LAB DF 2.1 on another site. I was hesitant about making a huge change, so I played a DW briefly while I looked for the right mallet. I found it last year and I’ll probably be keeping it for many more. It’s the best one I’ve ever rolled.

Last edited:
I wish I had a Versa Jailbird, because I'd be selling that high right now. LOL.

There’s going to be a run on shaft extensions.

Because people are out of their minds.

You're gonna have to take that down about 5 notches squirrely Dan...

I'm down with the versa tech.

Advertised for $500 is not the same as selling for $500. Ads are free, someone is just taking a punt and hoping to hit the jackpot.

This may last a month, then fizzle until the "next big one."

I tried heavier 365g heads. Too heavy. Give me 340-350g heads at 34.5 inches. The Spider GTX, which is unspeakably stable, may be too heavy. Returned to my Artisan 340g - may need to get 5g weights and see what that does. It's all a balance.

Advertised for $500 is not the same as selling for $500. Ads are free, someone is just taking a punt and hoping to hit the jackpot.
There have been more than a few on eBay that have sold for over $600

Rickie and Clark rolled it lights out for the most part during the US Open, and now people are going nuts for a 10 year old release.

It’s ugly now, it was ugly when it was released.

It just goes to show how much influence Tour players have when it comes to equipment.

Because there are people who chase trends.

Any chance a pro pulls out a 20 year old Odyssey Dual Force 505 and goes lights out at the next major? Asking for a friend that has one in the basement.

I’m sure the prices will settle down eventually, I’d hold off on getting one until then.

I’m sure the prices will settle down eventually, I’d hold off on getting one until then.
Value guide on this one was $63 last week. Prices will drop back down.

I'm interested in seeing if Odyssey brings it back into the lineup.

I'm interested in seeing if Odyssey brings it back into the lineup.
Demand is there NOW, wonder how fast it dies off?

If Keegan wins this weekend, that’s back to back wins for a 10 year old putter that was never really popular.

Demand is there NOW, wonder how fast it dies off?

If Keegan wins this weekend, that’s back to back wins for a 10 year old putter that was never really popular.

It just wasn’t popular with the right people.

I’m more fascinated with the counterbalancing myself and it looks like something easy to try.

if I recall, Rickie wasn’t putting well and then he switched and it worked for him. Who knows. I can’t blame someone for overlooking it to begin with and can’t blame someone wanting to try it now.

No different than the sleepless nights some experience before a driver release.

I tried the Odyssey Versa (7?) at Dick’s a couple months ago after rolling several putters. The 35” shaft along with those fangs seemed like the best putter for me. Can’t imagine that bar making it EVEN better but now I’m curious. Either way, their regular versa is a great putter in it’s own right.

Back