American Idol Season 13

Slammin'SAM

Never a flatbelly
Reaction score
Handicap
Rare play
A new season has begun, and let me be the first to say it is a breath of fresh air. The new season has brought us a judging panel that is there to entertain and be entertained, rather than to constantly clash egos. Keith Urban and Harry Connick, Jr. are excellent panelists, and Jennifer Lopez fits in beautifully between, and this time around the show seems more comfortable for her as well. The show is much more fun, which is a welcome change from all the puffed-up drama a year ago. And the talent looks to be as fresh and promising as ever, which to me at least bodes well for a great season for AI.

We have been watching, I like that the ego's do seem to be in check much better. The show is about the contestants after all, not the judges. I agree that the talent this year is stellar and we are looking at a season that should be very entertaining.

I was always a huge fan until last year and vowed to never watch it again. MY wife and I watched it last night to give it a try and I absolutely loved the judging panel. They are real and you can tell they are not about increasing their own celebrity and they want to help. I am ready to watch this season and see how everything goes

I'm looking forward to it this year! I thought about doing the pants on the ground gig for them but I haven't committed yet :act-up:

I'm looking forward to it this year! I thought about doing the pants on the ground gig for them but I haven't committed yet :act-up:

You too? I was thinking the same thing :laughing:

You all could duet..... We are the Old Coots from Parts Unknown. We are here to sing Pants on the Ground

The first few shows from this season are better than the entire past two or three seasons (maybe more). We onlyh watched the first one just to see how it was, and I think we're in for the season.

A local girl is going to audition tonight, haven't seen her as yet.

Good chemistry. Fun to watch again.

She got 3 yes votes, not my favorite but we'll see how far she goes.

Auditions are over and the talent has been selected. Though I tuned in sporadically earlier, I really started watching AI in season 6 when Jordin Sparks won, and have missed very little since. Last year the bickering judges panel nearly did me in with the show, but when I saw they kept Urban and returned JLo I thought things were looking up, and Harry Connick Jr. had been one of the best mentors in the past. I really love to hear their comments so far - they always give constructive advice and show their understanding of the nuances that make music work for the performers. I have read that ratings are down even more, which is too bad, because personally I think this is shaping up to be a great season. It is going to be interesting to see who survives the winnowing process in the next few weeks.

I agree Steve this season is shaping up to be really good, I think the only judge that was able to give the negative feedback in a somewhat mean way and really get away with it was Simon. It may have sounded mean to some but he was always accurate and did try to give good advise to the contestant before they left the stage. These judges are fair and HCjr is shaping up to be only behind Simon in critique ability and he is still having fun with the contestants.

Auditions are over and the talent has been selected. Though I tuned in sporadically earlier, I really started watching AI in season 6 when Jordin Sparks won, and have missed very little since. Last year the bickering judges panel nearly did me in with the show, but when I saw they kept Urban and returned JLo I thought things were looking up, and Harry Connick Jr. had been one of the best mentors in the past. I really love to hear their comments so far - they always give constructive advice and show their understanding of the nuances that make music work for the performers. I have read that ratings are down even more, which is too bad, because personally I think this is shaping up to be a great season. It is going to be interesting to see who survives the winnowing process in the next few weeks.
This is probably the best season entertainment-wise in three or four years. We almost didn't bother watching.

This is probably the best season entertainment-wise in three or four years. We almost didn't bother watching.

I always thought it would be better if they showed mostly the good talent, and some that were good but not quite good enough or not quite ready. Showing the dweebs that go just to get on TV looking stupid was always a waste of viewer time. Since everything broadcast before the live shows was taped long ago, the editting for the audition shows made it pretty apparent who would make it through in past years. This year they showed so many good singers, I have almost no clue who will get to the live shows. I like that - keeps my interest up more in the pre-live show part of the season.

I agree SS, other than the occasional "Pants on the Ground" the bad auditions were painful to watch. I have passed on the audition part for the most part for several years.

I really did not like that some of the kids were sent home immediately after the "warehouse" sing off. They got on a bus not even knowing if they were headed to the hotel or airport. The are mostly kids and I thought that was actually kind of sadistic to treat them that way.

Some good talent displayed tonight and really for the most part I agreed with all of the decisions just not the method used above for the early cuts.

I really did not like that some of the kids were sent home immediately after the "warehouse" sing off. They got on a bus not even knowing if they were headed to the hotel or airport. The are mostly kids and I thought that was actually kind of sadistic to treat them that way.

Some good talent displayed tonight and really for the most part I agreed with all of the decisions just not the method used above for the early cuts.

I thoought it was great they did that. If they are going to be in this business, they better have a thick skin.

They got it down to 77 I think - hard to disagree with any cuts. Anyone that has been cut already probably had zero chance to make the live shows even if they did their best. Once they get down to 30 or so the cutting gets so much tougher, but I think year in and year out the judges have always winnowed out the chaff and delivered the cream, and I am certain that will be the result this year. I do like that they are giving some of the cuts advice - and maybe there is more of that which we never see on camera. Many of the ones that get cut at this point will try again - and most will be better because of the cut this time.

I can't believe they are stretching the decisions over two shows. What an effing waste of TV time.

We knew they were going to send both of those guys through that they left off on last night.

We are also glad the guy who reminds us of Meat Loaf (Kaleb) made it.

I think the first two guys tonight were better than any of the girls last night.

Wow, the girls pretty much suck this year.

I think Caleb is your winner this year. (The Meat Loaf guy)

I'm rooting for Jess Meuse because she's one of my best friends sister and they live about 3 minutes from me. Not a big fan of the show otherwise.

We are up to Caleb's performance now, and I haven't thought any of the previous contestants sucked. Although the judges were less than praising for some.

Caleb was good again tonight. I still think he is the winner.

Back