So sorry to hear this Mike. Your Dad sounds like a great guy to have in your life and a loss to the golf community. I'd be wondering if a bench at the course at one of the tee boxes would be in order so you'll always be reminded of your golfing partner/dad when your out there.

Very sorry for your loss. It was a beautifully written ode and thank you very much for sharing. It's clear your father was a man cut from great cloth. He dedicated his life to his family and there is no greater gift. As was said earlier, he will always be with, and part, of you. I lost my father in 2000 but everytime I hear "Hotel California" I know he's there putting the song on.

Condolences for your loss. I lost my father in 2006 and he also introduced me to this great game. It was a struggle to go to the course some days after his passing, but the course also gave me solace. Solo rounds gave me a chance to reflect on all the great memories we had together. Since his passing there isn't a round I don't think of him and smile. Thank you for sharing you story and my thoughts are with you and yours.

That was very touching to read. Thank you for sharing that with us. It's always thought provoking to be reminded of the sacrifices parents make for their children. And when I think of how many people I know over the age of 63, I am also reminded of the fragility of life and the possibility that I may have less future time to spend with those people than I realize.

Sorry for your loss, and I hope your future golf experiences help you keep in touch with the memory of your father.

So sorry for your loss. Your ode was beautiful.

Condolences to you and your family, and that is an incredible ode to your father.

Sorry for your loss. That was a well written tribute to your father, thanks for sharing.

An Ode to My Dad

Going quickly and on a golf course is I'm sure how many of us would wish to go. I realize that is no consolation to you or your family though. As someone that lost their dad at 18 years of age, you have my upmost sympathies. From your post, you were incredibly lucky to have him as a father, and him you as a son.

This post hits close to home. Lost my father in 2011 he was 56 years old and we were also playing partners. Hardest thing in the world. Been 5 years since I lost him and still don't get thru an hour a day without thinking about. Sorry for ur loss man

Mike,

Words cannot describe what you just shared with us, your THP Family. First and foremost, my condolences to you and your family. Moving forward will be difficult at times, but trust that time will ease the pain. My father past away in 2004 and it was by far the most difficult time in my life. The only advice I can give is to cherish the wonderful moments you had with dear old dad and let those memories carry you through the down times. From the time at La Costa during #TheKing and the two rounds at Torrey Pines afterwards, I know without a doubt your dad is/would be proud of the man and father you've become. However I can help (you know ) don't hesitate to ask.

Take Care buddy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for your loss, sounds like a wonderful father.
Thanks for sharing your ode.

My condolences and prayers. He would have wanted you to keep playing.

Sorry for your loss I can only hope you heal in time and remember the good times. I can only hope in my life that I touch my children like your dad has touched you and the people around him. I know he's already playing golf in heaven and watching all your rounds from there may he rest in peace

Damn, it's dusty in here. That was a great post Mike. Beautifully written, and your dad sounded like a great guy and a great golfer to boot. Really sucks he was so young, but as you said, there are worse places to go than on the golf course on a beautiful day. Thinking about you buddy!

I am sorry for your loss. Very touching tribute.

Sorry for your loss...Honor him and remember him with your play...

Sorry for your loss. What a nice tribute to your father.

Heartfelt Condolences. Very fine tribute to your Dad. God Bless.

That was a beautiful post, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed a tear reading it. I am so desperately sorry for the loss of your father, my heart breaks for you. Over the past few years, my old man has grown to be my best friend, confidant and the person who has steadied my ship whenever it is in danger of capsizing. Your memories of your father will live on forever, and I have no doubt he would be desperately proud of you and how you speak of him. You're in my thought my friend.

Condolences on your loss. I read your story from the other side of the coin. I will be 66 in less than a month. Growing up, golf was for rich people, which my family was not. I started playing in my mid 40's. My son started a couple of years later and was in his mid 20s. I played for about 6 yrs and took a 12 yr break. My son continued to play. I returned to the game 3 yrs ago. I only play with my son. He gives me stokes or I play from more forward tees. We play every match for "The Championship of the World ". He usually wins. We try to play once a week. MY happiest days are out on the course with HIM. I am sure your father felt the same. It is the quality of the time, not the quantity. I would be willing to bet that your father enjoyed the time much more than you did. As parents, we live vicariously though our children. To have a child who still wants to spend time with you when they are grown, is a great feeling. Your father would and should have been very proud of your post here.

Mike, you're a great guy and I am honored to call you a friend! I'm sorry for your loss, it sounds like you and your dad have a very similar relationship that my dad and I have. If we don't play golf together, we always call each other on the way from the course and recap the round. I could not imagine how hard that day was for you, but like you said....you can't quit the game you and your dad loved together now. He'll be looking down on you as you play and he'll be proud of you every single day.

So sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you do have all those memories of your time together and on the golf course. My dad died when I was 7, and I only got to walk with him one time on the golf course. Again, my condolences.

Thanks so much to everyone for the kind words and for sharing stories of your own. If I tried to reply to everyone, the multi-quote would run for pages, so let me just say that this thread is exactly why my dad would have loved this place--a big family where everyone is passionate about golf was right up his alley.

Truly sorry to hear of your fathers passing bigskyirish. He sounds like one heck of a man and a great dad to you and your siblings. Those memories that you shared from on and off the course will sustain you. Keep your head up, keep playing the game that you both loved and keep writing, those things will go a long ways in your healing process. Sounds like before too long you will be able to start making similar memories with your kids, tell them all about their grandpa.

Back