Any Fly Fisherman on THP

rrpruett

Reaction score
Handicap
Just wondering how many people here on THP do some Fly Fishing. I was doing a lot of it prior to playing so much golf. I live near the Kernriver and at times it has some great fishing.

I love to fly fish it just seems like there is not enough time to do all the fun stuff available.

Spring is coming soon and the river should be getting good. Im starting to get the bug.

Im thinking it might be cool to go on a Golf/fly fishing vacation this year.

Anyone else into a little fly fishing?

In grade 12 I joined a fly fishing club to get out of playing in an extra band.
It was so much fun! I loved it when I'd get in the zone while tying.

Weird fact: the year after, the schoolboard deemed the flyfishing club TOO dangerous and killed it.
This when my school had rugby and football!

Used to do a ton of Fly Fishing when I lived in Grants Pass Oregon ( 1972-1976 ) as the Rogue River was my back yard , just 30 steps from the back door .
Caught alot of Salmon and Steelhead !
Built my own fly rod and learned how to tie my own flies . Now living in Kansas and my fly rod is in Colorado at my moms house .
Even went to a Fly Fishing convention in Grants Pass where these guys did some incredible things with their rod and flies .
Have not fished in over 27 years as the rivers and ponds here are usually muddy and am not a big cat fish , bass , crappie , blue gille , or carp eater .......... LOL

I mostly fly fish on the lakes around here in my float tube. I didn't go out much last year but will try to get out more this year (hopefully find a good balance between golf and fishing).

I mostly fly fish on the lakes around here in my float tube. I didn't go out much last year but will try to get out more this year (hopefully find a good balance between golf and fishing).

That's what I need to do find a good balance between the two. My wife likes to fish but no golf.
I love lake fishing out of a float tube

I didn't get much flyfishing in this last year but I have gotten some in this year ans as soon as the rivers go down I plan on getting in a bunch more.

I have flyfished for many years and I try to get to the smokies 4 or 5 times a year.

I have flyfished for many years and I try to get to the smokies 4 or 5 times a year.

What creeks do you fish up there?

--
tapatalk

Mainly the Ocanaluftee, but I walk in and find some others that I don't know the names of, occasionally i'll hit some low fished water on the little pigeon as well, it requires some serious hiking and climbing but the fishing is pure.

Mainly the Ocanaluftee, but I walk in and find some others that I don't know the names of, occasionally i'll hit some low fished water on the little pigeon as well, it requires some serious hiking and climbing but the fishing is pure.

Wow, I lived on the luftee for 3 years, fished it almost everyday. pretty cool to find someone on a golf forum that you've shared water with. Next time you go up, if you don't mind a little hike, park at smokemont and walk up the loop trail. Some nice water up that way, cabin flats is the local spot.

--
tapatalk

Fantastic, I'll be there this fall and give it cast. I have fished some incredible water in the east, but the Smokies are a very special place for trout, something very very special about it. It's always nice to meet fellow flyfishermen, Thanks for the tip..

Last edited:
Man I have got to get back out on the water. The flow is very fast here on the Kernriver now but as soon as it slows, im in.
Been playing too much golf and not enough fishing.

all our rivers out here in the rockies are still rocking with runoff so its at least a couple of weeks yet before I get to wet a line.

This guy does.... one-handed and two-handed methods. I have a Skagit set-up but I'm switching to a more diverse Scandi set-up. My home river is the Niagara.

Alex

OP I saw your name and I knew you had to be... saw a post about the Lady IQ+ testing.

Alex

Anyone been fishing lately? I'm not going to be able to make a fall trip this year and I'm bummed,

I've been chasing smallies right now with the fly rod and boat. Water temps in the Niagara River are around 63* still so the salmon and trout aren't quite going yet. Rains will bring some into the tribs. Tomorrow I'm attending a Spey Clave but I'm pre-fishing for chrome prior. Hope the water levels are just right.

Sorry to hear you have no fall trip this year. While in Myrtle next week I will be flogging some flies in the salt.

Alex

Back