Any Tea Drinkers?

SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
I have been bit by the tea bug and have some loose leaf tea and a tea maker headed my way for some good sipping at the office.

Are any of you guys tea drinkers and would you have any advice for a tea n00b?

What type of tea?

Or what type of taste are you looking for?

What did you just buy? :)

I love green tea and have some white tea coming as well. I have had oolong tea a while back, but I am really looking for anything good or any suggestions anyone has.

I love green tea and have some white tea coming as well. I have had oolong tea a while back, but I am really looking for anything good or any suggestions anyone has.

Just wanted to make sure we are on the same page.

My current favorite is this:

Ti Kuan Yin Tea

Also spelled "Tie Guan Yin", it's a form of Oolong (I favor the ones that are a lighter, greener version). On the tenren site that would be the China version in the loose leaf section. It sits somewhere between the taste of green tea and oolong for me.

I'm a tea addict, but not a tea snob. I just get whatever is in the grocery store. I usually have some Irish Breakfast tea in the morning, Earl Grey in the afternoon, and green tea the rest of the time. Sometimes I'll fix some chamomile before bed if I need something to soothe mo to sleep.

On the green tea side I like these:

Dragon Well Green Tea

Pi Lo Chun Green Tea

But sometimes I will also get Japanese Sencha (what you normally get at Sushi restaurants). Costco has Sencha tea bags which are surprisingly good and convenient for the office.

But I think it's a lot like golf equipment, you gotta demo a bunch of 'em and find the right "fit" for you. :hungry:

I went to Teavana yesterday evening and bought some Monkey Picked Oolong tea and some Jade Dragon Balls green tea. I have a Zarafina Tea Maker Suite en route to me (which should be arriving any minute) so I can make some great tea at work. I also have some adagio green and white teas coming in.

Dirt_guy I tried to make some green tea with store bought green tea in the microwave and I just could not make a good cup. I am not a tea snob...yet.

I tried to make some green tea with store bought green tea in the microwave and I just could not make a good cup. I am not a tea snob...yet.

Seth - I'm a coffee drinker, not a tea drinker, but even I know that using the microwave to make tea is like drinking instant coffee. :shock:

Seth - I'm a coffee drinker, not a tea drinker, but even I know that using the microwave to make tea is like drinking instant coffee. :shock:

Yeah. It was nasty. I don't like to use the microwave for very much, but I had no other choice here at the office.

I like coffee as well. I like Starbucks Columbia Medium whole bean. I drink it black as midnight according to Stevie Wonder's eyes.

I have a friend in Japan who sends me green tea. I drink it all the time either hot, or on ice depending on the time of the year. In return I send him bass fishing lures. We have been doing this for quite a few years. He does not golf, so every 5 years or so when our families get together we go bass fishing. Once when I was in his part world, he did get me on a golf course. What an experience that was. He introduced to a friend of his who golfed, but spoke very little english, and I know pretty much zero Japanese. We managed, but I did have to mind my manners.

Yeah. It was nasty. I don't like to use the microwave for very much, but I had no other choice here at the office.

I like coffee as well. I like Starbucks Columbia Medium whole bean. I drink it black as midnight according to Stevie Wonder's eyes.

Why don't you buy an electric kettle to boil water?

I drink black coffee too - I use a percolater so it's stronger and hotter. I also have an espresso maker, which I love.

I have a friend in Japan who sends me green tea. I drink it all the time either hot, or on ice depending on the time of the year. In return I send him bass fishing lures. We have been doing this for quite a few years. He does not golf, so every 5 years or so when our families get together we go bass fishing. Once when I was in his part world, he did get me on a golf course. What an experience that was. He introduced to a friend of his who golfed, but spoke very little english, and I know pretty much zero Japanese. We managed, but I did have to mind my manners.

wow. I am jealous of you and your friend. I have been longing to go to Japan for a long time. I love the culture, old and new. I love bass fishing myself, but i do it in ponds and rarely at a lake.

wow. I am jealous of you and your friend. I have been longing to go to Japan for a long time. I love the culture, old and new.

I've been lucky enough to go a couple of times. It's a wonderful country to visit. I went to Tokyo, Okinawa and Yokosuka.

Why don't you buy an electric kettle to boil water?

I drink black coffee too - I use a percolater so it's stronger and hotter. I also have an espresso maker, which I love.

I have a tea steeper coming in the mail today. I would never let my new, expensive, teas know a microwave exists. I even bought a special cup to drink my tea out of.

I've been lucky enough to go a couple of times. It's a wonderful country to visit. I went to Tokyo, Okinawa and Yokosuka.

Take me next time:desire:

Dirt_guy I tried to make some green tea with store bought green tea in the microwave and I just could not make a good cup. I am not a tea snob...yet.

I guess the microwave must have tainted the batch. I either boil the water in a kettle on the stove or use my electric kettle at work.

I guess the microwave must have tainted the batch. I either boil the water in a kettle on the stove or use my electric kettle at work.

Yeah. Microwaves don't go will with good food and drink. I like to heat up some sake in a pot of boiling water to go with my tea.

Try a site called teavision.com the Greenzella is very good

I tried to like tea but never could acquire the taste for it. My parents and sister drank it, my wife drinks it and most people I know seem to drink it, at least once in a while. Not me. Go figure.

I'm a tea drinker as well, the caffeine in coffee gives me a headache. I'm a huge fan of the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf!!

I tried to like tea but never could acquire the taste for it. My parents and sister drank it, my wife drinks it and most people I know seem to drink it, at least once in a while. Not me. Go figure.

That's like me and coffee.

They even have tea Keureg thingies, we have those at work and I'm the only one that drinks the teas!

This is what is on its way to me and taking forever to get here.

zarafinateamaker.jpg

It has settings for the type of tea and tea strength. I am excited about its arrival.

I went to Teavana yesterday evening and bought some Monkey Picked Oolong tea and some Jade Dragon Balls green tea. I have a Zarafina Tea Maker Suite en route to me (which should be arriving any minute) so I can make some great tea at work. I also have some adagio green and white teas coming in.

The Zarafina suite looks pretty nice, especially with temperature control. I think Oolong tea tastes best on the third or fourth steep, where the first one is a short 10 second one with boiling water to "wash" the tea leaves. I'm not sure if the Zarafina gives you timing control.

I used to have one of these:

Zojirushi Gold Hot Water Dispenser - Teavana

What teavana calls "Monkey picked" is the same as Ti Kuan Yin. But they do not mention location, or have different grades, which I believe to be important (kinda like wine).

Remember that Oolong tea leaves should be kept dry between steepings, which I think the Zarafina does for you.

Back