Anyone into home theater/audio?

pumbaa

Need more golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have always been a big audio guy from cars to home theater. Currently have a solid setup in my loft but my next home will be a dedicated room setup.

I have a 5.1 setup in the living room. I will upgrade when something breaks but the Onkyo receiver and Infinity speakers still sound great.

I have a 5.1 setup in the living room. I will upgrade when something breaks but the Onkyo receiver and Infinity speakers still sound great.
I use an onkyo avr currently. Speakers are JBL studio 580 up front with a 520 center. Micca surrounds and atmos speakers with a hsu 15 inch sub. It's too much for the small loft it's in.

I used to have my own home theater room ,then I relocated 😭. Slowly trying to regain a theater area . Bought an anthem receiver to pair with my amp and B&W speakers.
I used to compete in the car audio world many moons ago

I used to have my own home theater room ,then I relocated 😭. Slowly trying to regain a theater area . Bought an anthem receiver to pair with my amp and B&W speakers.
I used to compete in the car audio world many moons ago
I competed as well. B&W were my first "big boy" speakers loved them.

I competed as well. B&W were my first "big boy" speakers loved them.
My end goal would be some vandersteens .I think they are the 5a's which are now replaced by the carbon kantos, I believe

I use an onkyo avr currently. Speakers are JBL studio 580 up front with a 520 center. Micca surrounds and atmos speakers with a hsu 15 inch sub. It's too much for the small loft it's in.
How do you like the HSu? Debating on those or rythmik. I'm leaning towards the ryrhmik for better music.

How do you like the HSu? Debating on those or rythmik. I'm leaning towards the ryrhmik for better music.
Hsu is a low end monster but for music rythmik is a clear winner

My end goal would be some vandersteens .I think they are the 5a's which are now replaced by the carbon kantos, I believe
I got my JBL from a friend who ended up with the revel salon 2 😳

Did have missions from the uk , with rega turntable And Ortofon SPU gold cartridge . hooked into tv ( Loewe) with David Hafler amps .

Changed to Nad amps latter and added sub.

Have , Tivoli clock radios and in car is Harmon Kardon system . First car was Alpine amps and B&W speakers

Continued - have Naim Qube mk2 now with Qled tv . …. Stunningly clever and equally audibly brilliant

I’ve had a top of the line 5.1/7.1 systems for the last couple of decades. Sadly when we bought a mid century modern house last year I finally gave into to the Mrs request and went the a high end sound bar. I do miss the big booms of a 12 or 15 inch subwoofer but I really love that crystal clear dialogue that a sound bar produces…

I’ve had a top of the line 5.1/7.1 systems for the last couple of decades. Sadly when we bought a mid century modern house last year I finally gave into to the Mrs request and went the a high end sound bar. I do miss the big booms of a 12 or 15 inch subwoofer but I really love that crystal clear dialogue that a sound bar produces…
Some of the new sound bar setups are really impressive. Samsung,nakamichi, Sonos, and some others make really good stuff.

Never home theater, but I did get into vintage stereo equipment there for a while. Nothing too fancy, but it's a solid setup.

Used to be really into it. Car and home actually. Worked in the car stereo industry in my 20's and used to do a bunch of custom stuff but those days are long gone. At home I still use my Yamaha receiver for some wall speakers. My Paradigm floor and bookshelfs still sound great but they are in storage. Just had a decent enough 5.1 setup. Now days sound bars take up way less space and sound really good.

Not as much as I used to be or would like to be. Last dabble was adding a 12" sub and 500W amp to my car when I bought it back in 2019. Home stuff needs an upgrade for sure

I'd like to have something in my house. It's wired for surround but 🤷‍♂️ something isn't right. It works but I can't run my Yamaha receiver as loud as I want. I run into clipping and thermal shutdown or something. It sucks. I just don't turn it up.

And I'd like better sound in my vehicles too. My Audi has a speaker in the passenger side that's intermittent but it's out of warranty so as long as the bluetooth works I'm happy.
I'd love to have bluetooth in my truck but the dash is some odd config of 2 din and 1 din or something and no one makes parts for it so...

Maybe one day I'll upgrade to better. What I've got is good enough at home, fine in my daily driver, and disappointing in my truck.

Still annoyed I got talked into in-ceiling 5.1 when we were building out last house. Feel like I wasted money on the B&W speakers up there. The whole set up is fine and I’ve kinda just left it as is. We also stretched a bit back then trying to do everything 4k, it’s never really worked 100%. But not bad enough for the thousands it would take to redo things. Plan to do better in the future

Still annoyed I got talked into in-ceiling 5.1 when we were building out last house. Feel like I wasted money on the B&W speakers up there. The whole set up is fine and I’ve kinda just left it as is. We also stretched a bit back then trying to do everything 4k, it’s never really worked 100%. But not bad enough for the thousands it would take to redo things. Plan to do better in the future
Is having speakers in the ceiling a bad thing? I ask because that is how my house is setup (previous owners set this up).
It has a Denon AVR-X2300W receiver 7.2 channel, and Klipsch speakers (RP-240D mid speaker (Titanium tweeter), four CS-16C II ceiling speakers). Also a Klipsch R-100SW subwoofer. Sounds ok, but not sure if this is a good setup or not?

Last edited:
Is having speakers in the ceiling a bad thing? I ask because that is how my house is setup (previous owners set this up).
It has a Denon AVR-X2300W receiver, and Klipsch speakers (RP-240D mid speaker (Titanium tweeter), four CS-16C II ceiling speakers). Sounds ok, but not sure if this is a good setup or not?

not bad in certain situations, just really limits the seating positions.

Yep. 5.1 in the family room and an Atmos setup in the basement. The 5.1 upstairs is all in the ceiling and is great for its purpose. The atmos setup in the basement is amazing.

I have a denon amp running through some Polk speakers at the minute. My golf buddy bought an AV company about 2 years ago. They do a lot of homes in Pebble Beach. He’s promised me a good rate if I get him to do some work. I may just do that.

I've got a decent setup for my turntable, and headphones galore, but don't really need more than a decent sound bar and sub for my TV.

I'll add though, I'm a theatrical audio engineer, so a full home theatre setup would be too much like bringing my work home with me. Also... there is A LOT of snake oil out there.

I've got a decent setup for my turntable, and headphones galore, but don't really need more than a decent sound bar and sub for my TV.

I'll add though, I'm a theatrical audio engineer, so a full home theatre setup would be too much like bringing my work home with me. Also... there is A LOT of snake oil out there.
So funny, my brothers name is Marc (with a C) , lives in Rochester New York and owns a home theater store there with his wife. I would think you were him, but no way he is doing anything related to sports like golf. Had me going for a hot minute.
schmoedown That's hilarious GIF by Collider

So funny, my brothers name is Marc (with a C) , lives in Rochester New York and owns a home theater store there with his wife. I would think you were him, but no way he is doing anything related to sports like golf. Had me going for a hot minute.
schmoedown That's hilarious GIF by Collider's hilarious GIF by Collider
It's not the Hi-Fi Lounge is it?

Back