Anyone Use Iron Headcovers?

I am temporarily living in Japan. In the States, I can go 4 or 5 rounds without seeing a single bag that has iron covers. Here in Japan, I cannot go a single round without seeing 10 or 15 bags that have them. One by product of that is that is that in the various golf shops here there are a lot more used sets of forged irons that are in truly excellent shape.

I've never used iron covers mostly because I've played primarily cast clubs made of fairly hard metal and as such they don't matter much.

However, I'm returning to forged this week and am seriously considering using them. I have a forged iron that had seen literally thousands of balls on the range and showed very little wear. I put it in the bag two weeks ago to hit shots from the course and in a mere two rounds it has quite a bit of 'bag chatter'.

I'd rather game the Loudmouth bag than iron headcovers.

I have a set I use when going to the course and coming home. Not on while I play or at home but when the bag is laid down in the back seat of my truck they vibrate and crash into each other with every bump and I hate the noise and the extra marring on the finish.

Marks from playing are one thing, marks from just driving to play bug me.

Similar here, I have a set that stay on while they are in the car or in the house, but once I get to the course I take them off, and having the Adams Tech Lock bag, the clubs are gripped anyway so they don't rattle around while the bag is on the trolley

No, never have.. probably never will.

Just give it alittle Tapatalk

However, I'm returning to forged this week and am seriously considering using them. I have a forged iron that had seen literally thousands of balls on the range and showed very little wear. I put it in the bag two weeks ago to hit shots from the course and in a mere two rounds it has quite a bit of 'bag chatter'.

Very true, I have a set of Adam's CB's that I play occasionally and bag chatter has been brutal to them. They will wear covers next time I take them out to play. They still look good as they only have probably 10 rounds on them but I can see how it wouldn't take long to make a wreck out of them.

I had thought of getting some just for traveling purposes.

I had thought of getting some just for traveling purposes.
This is THE reason I want a set. I wouldn't game them, but I'd love them for travel.

Clubs chatter drives me nuts thats part of the reason i went with a bagboy.
bbrevolver_pro.jpg

Chamber bag at home so I don't cover the irons -still cover woods and putter though. Traveling I use them with a smaller stand bag.

I use them. I HATE bag chatter noises and dings.

I never used them until my lovely wife, who doesn't and won't play, bought them for me for Christmas a couple years ago. First I used them because she bought them. Then it became a habit. Now I am stuck. I feel guilty if my clubs are naked. Seriously though, I didn't realize how much irons beat up the shafts of hybrids and fairway metals. They do save on that. As an aside, how many of you use covers for your driver through hybrids?

The last time we had this thread it got pretty ugly. For some reason apparently if you use them you can't be a serious golfer to some people.

But we will just have this one start over with this thread. I dont use them. I dont like the idea of moisture getting trapped in with the metal head. Just my thoughts, but I also dont walk much, so bag chatter does not occur.
^^THIS^^

Irons shouldn't ding each other up if they are made of the same metal. By the way, I have an Ogio chamber bag that locks each iron into position. I fan them, pointing to the outside of the bag, and they just never clang into each other.

I've always used them and most likely always will. I hate hearing my clubs clank around.

I've always used them and most likely always will. I hate hearing my clubs clank around.

You're not a very serious golfer, duey. You probably ride in a cart, too.

No thanks,first I would end up losing them, second I like the sound of bag chatter when I'm walking....crazy I know but it all part of the experience for me. Covers on my driver, 3 wood, and putter just seems more traditional.

I use them to prevent them my irons from beating against each other when they are in my car or truck and when I walk the local dog track for cheap practice.

Never used them in 45 years of playing. In part I guess because of a story I read long ago about Chi Chi Rodriguez back in his hustling days before he was a tour player. He said he'd hang around the course looking for his next score, eyeing the players and how they acted, no different from hustlers in any other sport. When he saw a player show up with covers on their irons he knew he'd found his mark. Never wanted to be that guy. (Never really had a problem listening to bag chatter either).

Bought some iron covers off eBay last night. Bought basically all new clubs this year and don't want them banging around getting scratched and dented. I never realized the beating my clubs took until inspecting my old ones last year. Kinda makes me sick. Spend way too much money on this stuff to have it look bad from doing anything but swinging the club.

I use them when I'm flying or shipping my clubs, but not when I'm on the course or just when they're in my trunk

I have always made fun of my father for using them but now that I have new irons I am really contemplating them. My last set, my bag dropped and I scratched the PW before I was ever able to even get them on the course.

Back