Are you a “Matcher”?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Shout out to @jfrigo1003 for putting this one into my head with a post, are you a golfer who has to or wants things to “match” in hour setup? Be it brand, shafts, grips, whatever....are you a matcher?

grips have to match. Shafts I don't care (other than irons obviously). Wedges I like to match up shafts with my irons.

yes.... whatever driver I go with I will definitely be matching the 3w and/or 5w. All woods are always the same brand and model

I dont need all 14 clubs to be the same brand, but all woods must match, irons and utility iron will be same brand, my 3 wedges must match

I want to be a matcher but I can't... I always seem to have one odd ball in the bag. No matter what I do. I may even have the club head or shaft to make it match but there is an invisible fource that prevents me from doing so.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I like my three wedges to match.

Grips....I like them to match, but often I like different grips for different reasons (e.g. love ALIGN on my longer clubs, but not on my wedges).

Would be nice to have my woods match, but rarely do I get the performance to work out in a match.

My go to... Performance > matching

Looks at bag.... Yepp.

I have the same shaft in Driver, 3 wood, Hybrid. Same shaft in irons and wedges. Same grip on all clubs but putter. Driver-LW are same brand. I have the 3w head to match driver, but haven't switch yet. Have a 5w to match the Driver and 3w.

Have yellow ferrules and headcovers to match color scheme. Want to change paint fill on irons and putter to yellow.

I'm a bit mental.

Tensei pro orange and Modus 120 are the only shafts in my bag other than the stroke lab putter shaft. I did not plan it that way but whoomp there it is.

Irons usually are, everything else tends to be a hodgepodge. Especially wedges where I'll replace one every couple years.

Yes, for wedges and grips. Those are the only 2 things that are must match for me.

I am not a matcher other than grips. All 3 big clubs are different and the wedges are 2 of one company and 1 of another.

Check out my signature for the answer

Yes and no. I'm hoping to get back to a matched setup (woods/hybrid) (irons) (wedges) and grips. Although I always mess that up by testing other equipment and right now I've got one Jumbo Max grip on my set gap wedge for giggles. I bought a Sim driver and hybrid, so I will likely update my 3 and 5 wood as well to Sim sometime this winter/spring to get those matching again.

Irons and set gap wedge need to match. Otherwise, anything goes. I'm a big fan of the Dylawedge grips for wedges, and it would be nice if they came in colors so I could idiot-proof my bag - different colors for different wedges. I've thought about using same grip/different colors for my 6 and 9 irons. Other than the wedges, I prefer to have the same grip through the bag.

I do tend to go that way and with the current setup all shafts match in the woods and irons / wedges are all the same brand / model just different weights. As for the Club brand, I do tend to try and match if things work out that way and this go round they do.

But in the past it has been all over the place, depending on the mood at the time.

yes to grips, but no to everything else. heck, i'd be fine to put together a frankensteined set of irons with different shafts and heads throughout the set if i was comfortable with the setup and it performed.

I love it when things match, but will never go out of my way to make it happen.

Yes. Sort of. And no. Maybe.

Looking at my bag right now and it's a TM driver 3W, 7W, and irons. Cleveland wedge and a Yes! putter. I'd like my grips to match but my 7W was an oddball compared to the rest.

I just rotated my 3W out with my Mizuno ST 190 3W.

Goal for the future is to go with the clubs that work for me regardless of whether they match.

If you look at my bag, you'll know immediately I'm all over the place... I try to find things that work for me and not really care about the rest

I’d love to have a bag that was all from one brand (one model would be even better). The two things that keep me from it are that I’m too cheap, and Cobra doesn’t make a putter.

Within their own sub group yes, overall no, would I like a matching bag throughout, yes.

99CAC875-7F5A-4550-86B5-1C8BE28A4674.jpeg

grips have to match. Shafts I don't care (other than irons obviously). Wedges I like to match up shafts with my irons.
So much this! I have had setups where the grips didn't match and I hated it. Otherwise no I don't care

Totally. My OCD definitely comes out in my golf gear. Bag and headcovers always follow a black, red, and white theme. Fairway woods must match each other—including shaft—but not necessarily driver. Same for hybrids. Same for wedges—I even designed a custom PM Grind 19 to match my Tour Grey Jaws wedge set, including colors, shaft, and grip. One type of ball in the bag. Usually buy the same tees, so even they match. For grips, driver/fairways in MCC align. Hybrids and irons in MCCs. Wedges I’ve played matching stock grips, but I plan to change that next year.

Back