Are You A Course Planner?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think about where your upcoming rounds are? Map them out? Visualize?
Or are you more of a "keep it in play and lets go"

Yeah I do, but I always for the most part never stick to how I draw it up in my mind off the tee.

For THP events I’ve scouted the course otherwise no.
Saying Mike Tyson GIF by Cameo

Nope. But look at yardage book at new courses on the tee box to figure out what to tee off with, see where trouble may be lurking. I don’t look ahead of time

Never.Just keep it in play best I can.

Honestly I'd love to be but currently am just not. I have a feeling thats going to changes with some updates to Shot Scope watch this year.

Yes. I try to have a general plan. Especially if it is a new course. If it is a course I have played a few times I just go with previous plans and adjust accordingly.

If i am playing a tourney, I plan it in my mind hole by hole he night before. When i am playing, every tee I stand on i look where the pin is and try to minimize the trouble off the tee and have the best approach i can.

I usually don’t. Although after reading Four Foundations of golf I kind of want to do it a little more. I tried prepping and game planing for Ballyhack and in some aspects it paid off. But even with their awesome videos and the feedback from others plans kind of went out the window while there.

Not really, I'll look at a scorecard for general yardages, especially on Par 3's.

Since the feature was put into the Shotscope X5, I have used the ability to see where my tee yardages would end up on holes, I thought that was pretty helpful.

I might look to scout a few holes but I don't really plan. There have been times that I tried and nothing ever went according to the plan haha. I just get out there and try to play it as I see it at the time.

Not much. Need to do a better job of this.

I’m a keep it in play kind of golfer. I will look at a course to scope it out online but I won’t come up with any kind of plan unless it’s a really peculiar hole

I always look ahead of time. Even just a quick hike by home. Just to give a quick idea so I’m not scrambling every tee box. If I know oh the holes in the back with water also have creeks along the side, I’m ready for it. No surprises.

Not really. I'll preview them and look at the scorecard online just to get an idea, but I don't try to put a game plan together.

THP'ers have posted some awesome hole by hole reviews and put a lot of effort into them. I appreciate them, read them with interest and enjoy the photos and stuff, but let's face it - there's no way I'm going to memorize 18 holes of information/strategy about a course. Any plan I make is going to straight to hell very quickly anyways, since I already know I'm not going to hit all those meticulously planned shots the way I intended. I just play what's in front of me.

Once upon a time, yes. These days, just keep the ball in front of me and out of trouble and hope for the best.

I do a small amount of prep work if I'm going to be in a competition against someone, if it's just me and my family going to a new course it is all up in the air.

If it's a THP event - I go over it time and time again and plan my shots that perfect world I can execute and then get there and just hope to keep the ball in front of me while not disappointing @ScoFoBG too much as my cartner. (I'm kidding, Scott is a blessing to this community)

I used to be more of a planner but now it's "keep it in play and lets go"

I tend to use google earth to try and map out a rough game plan (especially off the tee; targets etc) but obviously a course can look far different between google earth and in person.

These are the times I appreciate having a laser that also has GPS/Map data for when I'm playing somewhere blind

In tournaments yes I very typically will have a general idea of how I want to play certain holes, where the risk/rewards are and where I don't want to push it too much

Sometimes this changes with how the round is going

I will usually look at a satellite view of the course just to see how it lays out, but I have a terrible memory so even if I saw something I needed to avoid I probably wouldn't remember it anyway.

I also don't have the greatest control over my golf ball, so I usually just try to manage what I see in front of me.

I have many times, but none since ShotScope came out with the MyStrategy feature.

That said, by the time I start playing it's more about trying to "keep it in play and let's go". The visual part of the course - where hazards are, how wide the fairway is... Satellite mapping can be so different in my mind compared to once I'm at the course.

Back