Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

If the distance gapping works, and you are comfortable dropping the 60, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I gonna try it this way for awhile and see what happens! I may miss the 60 degree wedge sometimes but this way I can still keep the 14 club limit!

I'm in a bit of a holding pattern until December, but until then I'm tinkering around a bit at the top end. I never really gelled with the F7 hybrid, so I'm putting an oldie but a goodie back in the bag. The 588 3h at 20.5*. It's a hybrid I've been the most confident with, and probably closer in size to what I'll be playing in December than the King OS is. I might try to find an Epic, Rogue, or Apex hybrid to get used to ahead of the event. The hybrid is one slot I've never had a Callaway club in the bag for.

Swapping out my set of Callaway Apex CF16 and putting the Wilson Staff C200s back in the bag. 4i to AW.

Just can't ignore the performance I get out of the C200 4i, 5i, 6i. The confidence with those clubs alone is catching.

Seeing how I'm only bagging 11 clubs because I removed my 5W and my 54W, I decided to throw an extra driver in my bag so my bag is now at 12 clubs. Driver 1 is my Callaway Big Bertha Fusion driver at 44.5" Reg flex with 13 degree loft. Second driver is my Cobra Bio Cell at 45.5" Stiff with 9.5 degree loft

I’m going to try something different and see how it goes. Going to try a 5w shaft in my 3 wood, loft it up to 16*, and then go into a utility, 4 iron, and then into my 5-PW irons. I have been using a 250y, 230y, 205ish yard set up, and it makes me keep doubting what I’m using, making it feel like it’s a weird set up for me given the length courses I typically play. So I’m going to go for a 240ish wood set up with the franken 3 wood, and then jump down to 210ish with the utility. I feel like I’d rather have that gap instead of multiple longer options.

Really did not like the Rogue hybos at all. Last Callaway hybrid I enjoyed was Apex.

I have been having a lot of success with the Titleist 818 H1s. The adjustability surely helps in finding the right gapping. To me, they set up so nice behind the ball. I was playing the Rogue hybrids and they surely are rocket launchers, but they seem a little blocky behind the ball. I pulled out the Titleists, which had been setting in the garage and feel really committed to them.

Rogue 5H is back for a while hit two awesome shots with it yesterday. So easy to elevate.

Initial 3w throw down yesterday, CBX, M4 and Rogue. Rogue was easily ousted as it just sets up so freaking closed to me, especially next to the other too, plus the numbers weren't better than the others. Going for round two today adding my EX10 beta back into the mix.

My bag is old school with no hybrids and 2 fairway woods. I own a lot of hybrids but none have stayed in my bag for more than a few rounds because I can’t easily control the flight and don’t hit them as straight as my old Titleist 3 iron/driving iron that’s been in my bag 10 years. It’s also the club I use 90% of the time on the 215 yard 11th hole at my home club.

I’ve recently ordered a Cobra driving iron thinking that there has to be something with newer tech that is an improvement over my old Titleist 503h. We will see...

Ever since I started golfing 8ish years ago, my whole goal was never to hit it the farthest or become a single digit handicapper. It was to gain consistency and a repeatable swing that would allow me to have fun and shoot well.
I have stayed with the majority of what I currently have in my bag for a few years now, which is un-like me over the years of tinkering.
Some people may ask why I carry two 5i, simple answer is that they are different lofts/setups, go different distances, and serve very different purposes. I use my Rapture v2 5i mostly off the tee on long par 3's (180-190yds), I keep my iron set 5i in the bag to keep consistency and gapping since it goes about 170yds.
I absolutely love my iron set/wedges, using SteelFibers has really changed my game. They have gained me both distance and accuracy, I don't think I will ever use steel shafts again. Lastly my SC putter has been with me for the past few years, always can rely on distance control with it and just again consistency. My biggest weakness at this point is my driver, we'll see how the G400 Max experiment goes!

Initial 3w throw down yesterday, CBX, M4 and Rogue. Rogue was easily ousted as it just sets up so freaking closed to me, especially next to the other too, plus the numbers weren't better than the others. Going for round two today adding my EX10 beta back into the mix.

I really need to start forcing myself to hit 3W more often. I've never hit it much in league but I also default to pulling driver a lot. May be an experiment for my rounds this weekend. See if it helps me any. G400 makes it awfully easy to default to driver though.

Ugh.

The debate, stay with a 5w/7w in that 19* range, or try a hybrid there for the first time in a LONG time.

i'm about to put another bag in play with mostly new (to me) clubs. setup will be:

d
5w
3i-pw
52 / 56 / 60
p

i don't think the 3i is ideal for me. i can hit it, and it goes about 210, but i need a pretty substantial runway up to the green. it's a good layup option on a short and/or tight driving hole. but i think i would prefer a 3h in that slot. might see about picking up an f8 3h.

i'm about to put another bag in play with mostly new (to me) clubs. setup will be:

d
5w
3i-pw
52 / 56 / 60
p

i don't think the 3i is ideal for me. i can hit it, and it goes about 210, but i need a pretty substantial runway up to the green. it's a good layup option on a short and/or tight driving hole. but i think i would prefer a 3h in that slot. might see about picking up an f8 3h.

Are you wanting the second bag to be mostly Cobra? If not, you might consider a Rogue Hybrid in either 17 or 19 degrees. They are very easy to hit and LONG. Have you had any thoughts about going back to the Titleist 818 hybrids?

Are you wanting the second bag to be mostly Cobra? If not, you might consider a Rogue Hybrid in either 17 or 19 degrees. They are very easy to hit and LONG. Have you had any thoughts about going back to the Titleist 818 hybrids?

i liked the 818 h1 ok, but honestly it was never very consistent for me. phenomenal in the fitting, super inconsistent on the course. i also had a problem with the pronounced bulge and roll not really fitting my eye.

i'm not married to cobra for this second bag (driver and fw won't be cobra). i have a rogue fw and it's a great launcher. i want the hy to be somewhat iron-like.

As I run through my potential Grandaddy bag daily, I think I'm committing to switching to a 2 Fairway Wood set up, as opposed to the two hybrid set up that I use currently. I find very little gap between my two hybrids and usually reach for the one with more loft.

My love and comfort of the 816 Alpha 4w has led to me pulling fw off the tee a lot more than in the past. This makes me want to add a 13.5 3+ wood and then keep my trusty 4 wood as well, maybe a 5w?

After looking at Arccos, and noticing what I liked in flight, I went back to a 3W (15* of loft) with the same length and weight shaft of my 5W. Getting similar or longer carry distance and liking it. Then put in a GAPR hi 3 in place of the 5W, about a 12 yard gap between the two and overall it is working out well.

Really like the gapr, think those are some underrated clubs.

I have been having a lot of success with the Titleist 818 H1s. The adjustability surely helps in finding the right gapping. To me, they set up so nice behind the ball. I was playing the Rogue hybrids and they surely are rocket launchers, but they seem a little blocky behind the ball. I pulled out the Titleists, which had been setting in the garage and feel really committed to them.

I like the H2. Liked the H1, then got an H@ and ended up liking it a lot better out on the course.

I now have a driving iron I guess. Still fguring out a full swing with it, but I love it for knock downs and punch shots.

I really need to start forcing myself to hit 3W more often. I've never hit it much in league but I also default to pulling driver a lot. May be an experiment for my rounds this weekend. See if it helps me any. G400 makes it awfully easy to default to driver though.

The best way to get comfortable with 3-wood off the tee boxes is to leave the driver at home.

As I run through my potential Grandaddy bag daily, I think I'm committing to switching to a 2 Fairway Wood set up, as opposed to the two hybrid set up that I use currently. I find very little gap between my two hybrids and usually reach for the one with more loft.

My love and comfort of the 816 Alpha 4w has led to me pulling fw off the tee a lot more than in the past. This makes me want to add a 13.5 3+ wood and then keep my trusty 4 wood as well, maybe a 5w?

My Honma set has a 3W/5W, which I've been really enjoying. But at the same time, I really enjoy the 4W/3h combo I've played for years. The hybrid/iron/fairway split is going to be my biggest question going into the fitting.

My Honma set has a 3W/5W, which I've been really enjoying. But at the same time, I really enjoy the 4W/3h combo I've played for years. The hybrid/iron/fairway split is going to be my biggest question going into the fitting.

That’s my problem too. 3W/5W was so tempting when I setup my bag, but my 3h would have been gone. I decided on the 4W for gapping with the 3h but I still have an itch to go with 2 fairway woods. I just can’t give up my 3h.

Grabbed a 20* TEE CBX hybrid to see how a hybo would work in that heavenwood spot, plus I want to try a CBX hybrid desperately with all the traction they've gotten on the Champions Tour.

That really is the big setup debate right now for me, go with another 7w in that 20-21* spot, or move to hybrid.

Then of course the 585 and G400 Max are throwing haymakers at eachother right now.

Yep, same for me. In all the years I've played I dont think I've ever had that part of my bag truly optimized and nailed down.

I'm thinking of adding the 6h back into the bag. Try as I might, the 6i works sometimes, but other times it's hook city. Taking it out of the bag and putting in the 6h may change my approach in some instances, but at least I'll be keeping the ball in front of me.

Grabbed a 20* TEE CBX hybrid to see how a hybo would work in that heavenwood spot, plus I want to try a CBX hybrid desperately with all the traction they've gotten on the Champions Tour.

That really is the big setup debate right now for me, go with another 7w in that 20-21* spot, or move to hybrid.

Then of course the 585 and G400 Max are throwing haymakers at eachother right now.

I keep watching this battle for updates. Very interested! I like the 585 and get better numbers on good hits, but when I'm not on the G400 produces much better for me. But those numbers are so tempting on my end to put it in the bag.

Back