Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

I currently have 5 wedges between 47 and 60...this is dumb.

I like the top end of my bag, but some doubts in the middle. Think there is a gap between the PW and 50, and in those in-between shots with the PW can't seem to close the gap enough. Then there is practically no gap between the G400 crossover 4 and the 5i.

I currently have 5 wedges between 47 and 60...this is dumb.

:D
Not sure about that 1 bud, but if it works for you mentally.....

I have a pretty standard (these days) bag setup. I have plenty of length and like hitting longer irons so don't need extra clubs at the top of the bag. Driver, 3 wood and 3 hybrid transition nicely to my 4-PW iron set. With wedges I go with 3 beyond pitching, but in practice I think of my 50* gap wedge as my base pitching wedge. I then use a 54* to give me another distance option, and it is my primary chipping wedge. After that I jump to a 60* PM that gives me around-the-green options, including out of sand, for the kinds of surfaces and terrain I play regularly.

With early season struggles messing with my head, an iron change has happened.

Out: C200s
In: ALTITUDES!

#EmbraceForgiveness

I think I've found the setup finally. One I can actually insert either the 790s or MP18's into flawlessly.

The move to a 48/54/58 setup is paying dividends already. Scores are going to keep getting better.

I just got a 4 iron, so I will be playing around with a few different setups at the top of the bag after driver: 3W/HW/4H, 3W/HW/3H, 3W/HW/4i, HW/3H/4i, or HW/4H/4i.

i'm headed to my club guy at lunch today to take a look at my pw and gw. they just don't gap properly, and i'm hoping it's a quick fix.

i'm still confused about what i want to do with the spot between 3w and 5i. there's a 30-40 yard gap between the two, so i just need something that splits the difference. my 4h is not doing the trick. kind of want to try a utility iron when i need something a little straighter off the tee than 3w, but longer (and more forgiving) than 5i.

i'm headed to my club guy at lunch today to take a look at my pw and gw. they just don't gap properly, and i'm hoping it's a quick fix.

i'm still confused about what i want to do with the spot between 3w and 5i. there's a 30-40 yard gap between the two, so i just need something that splits the difference. my 4h is not doing the trick. kind of want to try a utility iron when i need something a little straighter off the tee than 3w, but longer (and more forgiving) than 5i.
I'm partial to my G400 crossover (19*) in my 230 gap. It's great off of the tee.... And easier for me out of the fairway and rough than a hybrid had ever been. Great for punching the ball as well.
But i will say the head size takes a little bit to get used to.

What happened to your TMB's? 3 and 4 iron spot?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm partial to my G400 crossover (19*) in my 230 gap. It's great off of the tee.... And easier for me out of the fairway and rough than a hybrid had ever been. Great for punching the ball as well.
But i will say the head size takes a little bit to get used to.

What happened to your TMB's? 3 and 4 iron spot?

didn't you hear? i'm a cobra staffer now ;)

with the morgan cup, i'm all cobra now. so cobra will get my first look for whatever direction i end up going. arccos says the t-mb 4i actually would be perfect in that slot, so if i can't find a cobra club to fit what i need, the t-mb 4i might go back in the bag.

didn't you hear? i'm a cobra staffer now ;)

with the morgan cup, i'm all cobra now. so cobra will get my first look for whatever direction i end up going. arccos says the t-mb 4i actually would be perfect in that slot, so if i can't find a cobra club to fit what i need, the t-mb 4i might go back in the bag.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh that's right. How could I forget? Well I'm a Titleist, Ping, Scor, Scotty Cameron and Kirkland Staffer

Wondering if I can get the 64 HI-Toe back in the bag as well, could rotate it and the HW and 4hy depending on the course....

I think I'm going to begin the process of removing a wedge from the bag. I have more than necessary and I wouldn't mind being able to add something at the other end.

My bag set-up and rationale for it. (I may add I’ve only been playing for just over 12 months after a 20 year hiatus, so there are a couple of undecideds as yet).

Driver - obviously. If hit well goes 230-260 yards.
3-wood - don’t use this much, just on a couple of holes, hit well 220-230
19 Hybrid - undecided about this club, some days good, sometimes I hook it
23 Hybrid - much easier to work than the 19, a 5-Iron replacement and decent off the tee
2/3 Utility - in the post at one length, hoping for a consistent 200-220 yards off the tee
5-Iron - have one but hardly ever used
6-UW - 185 to 120 yards in still wind
52 - my 100 yard club and also for pitches over 60
58 - vast majority of chips, full at 80, shorter pitches and sand iron
64 - trick & treat, tight lies, lobs, steep out of rough

Pretty much covers everything really. Scoring is low eighties generally, and improving by the month.

For the past 2 seasons I have kept a pretty solid setup that has felt really comfortable, driver/4w/4h/4-pw/50/54/58.
The only spot where there is kinda a gray area is around my 5i/4i, I usually only use those on long par 3's or longer approach shots off the fairways. I am gonna try to replace both and swap in a SGI/GI iron (loft between the two) that will be easier to hit/get up in the air.

driver (265-275), 3 wood(240-250), strong 3 Hybrid(19') (210-220), 4-GW XR Pro irons (200 to 115), and then 54 (105-80) and 58 (40-70) wedges. I have a love hate relationship with my hybrid so when it's not working for me i have about a 30-40 yard hole in my bag set up.

I did pick up some Wilson FG F5 irons who's lofts are weaker than the XR pros by anywhere between 1 and 4 degrees, so that may be interesting down the line.

Contemplating adjusting the top of my bag to make the 64 a permanent part of my setup.

Driver is 10.5, and 5i is 26, so I'm thinking two clubs to bridge that.

16.5/17 gives me a good tee and deck club for tight 4's and par 5's, then I just need a bridge for long 3's and short 4's, potentially a 22 degree club.

And yes, this means I'm considering ditching the HW, seriously.

Contemplating adjusting the top of my bag to make the 64 a permanent part of my setup.

Driver is 10.5, and 5i is 26, so I'm thinking two clubs to bridge that.

16.5/17 gives me a good tee and deck club for tight 4's and par 5's, then I just need a bridge for long 3's and short 4's, potentially a 22 degree club.

And yes, this means I'm considering ditching the HW, seriously.

Shenanigans sir. The Rogue 4H may fit that bill for you. I'm sure you'll be running an X of some sort in it but it's a rocket launcher.

I think it's time to again drop the 4 iron and put the 4 wood back in the bag. I started off pretty hot with the 4i but lately it's been killing me and it hasn't even worked well for punching out of trouble. The Apex hybrids are so good that it makes perfect sense to make the switch.

Going to try a driving iron or 2 out. Thinking it might make sense for me instead of the 2nd driver when I play some windy links courses (like I will have 3 rounds in week after next). Doubt it will work out that well for me with my lack of swing speed but it will give me something to tinker with and keeps me from looking at replacing other parts of the bag as I am actually quite content with the set up right now.

Shenanigans sir. The Rogue 4H may fit that bill for you. I'm sure you'll be running an X of some sort in it but it's a rocket launcher.
Really did not like the Rogue hybos at all. Last Callaway hybrid I enjoyed was Apex.

Really did not like the Rogue hybos at all. Last Callaway hybrid I enjoyed was Apex.

I have a love/hate relationship with hybrids. I always seem to hook them of the planet. The TM UDI 4iron is filling that gap for me right now. Maybe a 5 wood, also.

Okay currently I have the top of the bag like this, driver, 4+ wood and 4H. Today I tried a 7wd for the very first time and put it in place of the 4H so I could get a little more distance and I did for sure. I don't know if part of it was drying out fairways, some wind or what but I was getting about 15 yards or so farther. I play courses that have dog legs and/or layup shots to hazards and the course today had the hazards. Out of about 4 of these holes, only one stayed in the fairway the rest went too far. When I normally hit the 4H on these holes, I am about 30 yards back from the hazards so it leaves a much longer second shot.

I like the 7wd alot but also liked my current setup so with that said I think I need both or I will have a fairly big gap between the 7wd and the 4 iron since I don't hit the irons very far. Will it be weird to carry a bag setup like this?

Driver
4+ wood (16 deg)
7 wood (21 deg)
4H (22 deg)
4 iron thru PW
52 and 56
Putter

Previous bag setup.

Driver
4+ wood
4H
4 iron thru PW
52, 56 and 60
Putter

NOTES: The iron set is old lofts so 4 iron is 24 degrees and PW is 48 degrees. Also the FW's and Hybrid are Steelhead XR's and are great! So easy to hit!!! :)

The top of my bag continues to be in flux. If I can get more work in with the HW off the tee, I might ditch the 3 wood and go to a 5 wedge setup--either "PW, 48 CBX, 52 CBX, 56 MD4, and 60 MD4" or just adding a 64 to my current setup. I'm struggling out of thick rough and bunkers at the moment. My low bounce 60 really isn't the proper tool for either shot, and I don't yet have the confidence in the 54 I need. I suppose I could just pickup a versatile bounce 60, but I love having a low bounce option, and it better fits my AoA.

I could also likely play both a 4 iron and 4 hybrid, and bench the 3 wood. If I over-swing the hybrid, I often see some nasty hooks, but when I put a smooth swing on it, I can hit some straight bombs. I have it in the bag as my 195-200 yard club, but I've twice flown greens in recent rounds when struck well, facing 198 and 205 to the respective pins. It's surprisingly long.

Driver
4+ wood (16 deg)
7 wood (21 deg)
4H (22 deg)
4 iron thru PW
52 and 56
Putter

Previous bag setup.

Driver
4+ wood
4H
4 iron thru PW
52, 56 and 60
Putter
:)

If the distance gapping works, and you are comfortable dropping the 60, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Back